• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't get it...

R.O.B.TheROCKbot

Smash Rookie
Why is everyone discussing Zelda strategy?

There's one strategy.

It's called forward-b.

I was having trouble with this one guy online. Then I chose Zelda and chose to use basically nothing but forward-bs. Even when he got used to it, I just switched up the timing, threw in a few fairs, fsmashes and dsmashes and...uh...I won.

Here's my Zelda strategy:

Start match.

Press forward-b.

Taunt.

Repeat.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
As the metagame evolves, Din's Fire spamming will become less effective as pure damage and juggling I predict. It will become much more of a harassment tool. As is though, spamming that move will hasten that process, bringing us closer to a more refined strategy for using it through the counter players will inevitably form from overuse of that move.

In other words: Keep spamming. Everyone is going to figure a way around it eventually.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
it's called air dodge smarts players will actually use it. zelda is actually i good character now but you still need a lot of mind games to win with her one major thing is her fsmash can be DI-ed out of it you hit the opponent when they are in the air and upsmash can be DI-ed out of to. yea zelda is somewhat easy to use ,but if you don't know how to use her good players can take advantage over that just like not knowing how to use any other character.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I'm really sorry blueriku, but please use more punctuation. This is not a sharp criticism, but a tip, because it is very difficult to derive the meaning of your post without proper punctuation.

Now, on to the real topic. Spamming is not a way out of creating real solid strategy. It can be part of the strategy, but it cannot be the whole thing. For example, you can use Din's Fire to air combo people when they are recovering, or at least be a serious annoyance to them in hindering any sort of attempt to come back. Not only this, but when they finally arrive at the stage, or close to it, you can attempt a spike or a sweet-spotted f-air or b-air to make all of their efforts wasted. Although a very simple strategy, it can seriously ruin the morale of your opponent and make him extraordinarily annoyed if you did this all right--meaning he'll be angry and won't think straight. But, now here is the part that concerns how Din's Fire is not a cure-all, how do you get them off the stage to begin with? Even semi-intelligent players won't just let you Din's Fire them all the way off the stage so you can keep doing that. No, you have to play Zelda with enough intelligence and forethought to trick your opponent into making a stupid mistake, or force him to make predictable decisions, put him in a situation that can become deadly for him, and then finish it with whatever you need--and it may or may not need Din's Fire.
Long story short: Use it when you need it, but only a seriously bad player will fall for a spammed Din's Fire when they're on the stage, at least.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I often have a problem against Ness; they always absorb my Din's Fire because it's so predictable.
Hmm yeah, but you can still hit behind Lucas without it getting eaten right? I think you can still use Din's fire against Ness to your advantage though. If you start off the game with a Din's fire at him, he'll likely Psi mag it (still at 0%, you don't lose or gain anything). Then at later points in the game, you can Din's fire, but have it explode before it reaches them (probably off an arial moving fire covering you) and they will psi mag in response which will allow you to approach them while they're still in move lag.

Sorry if its not very clear, but I think the main point is that Din's fire does not have to deal damage to be effective. Sometimes I think its about what it doesn't hit as much as what it does hit.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Hmm yeah, but you can still hit behind Lucas without it getting eaten right?
Nope. Believe me, I've tried. He just turns around immediately.

I think you can still use Din's fire against Ness to your advantage though. If you start off the game with a Din's fire at him, he'll likely Psi mag it (still at 0%, you don't lose or gain anything). Then at later points in the game, you can Din's fire, but have it explode before it reaches them (probably off an arial moving fire covering you) and they will psi mag in response which will allow you to approach them while they're still in move lag.
Not really. DF has just as much move lag as his Psi Magnet... :(

Sorry if its not very clear, but I think the main point is that Din's fire does not have to deal damage to be effective. Sometimes I think its about what it doesn't hit as much as what it does hit.
Very true. Space control and mindgames and whatnot. Tally-ho!

R.O.B.TheROCKbot

Smash Rookie
Haha, like with any character, strategies WILL be developed against it, but the forward-b seems to be the new fair for Zelda, since her fair is even harder to hit now.

Absorb is tough, you're right.

BUT. The thing that I predict happening with din's fire is that people will learn to time it better. Once someone I play against adapts to it, I switch it up, I explode it sooner or later. The farther away it gets, the wider the area of effect, and it's HARD to get used to that.

Sure, there are ways around it. But what move doesn't have weaknesses? Din's fire just doesn't have many :)

Top Bottom