• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I desperatly need to improve. Please rate my kirby(Update 6/12/08)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Hey guys. Let me start off by saying
I have a horrible kirby. I tend to spam moves way too much that I shouldn't(final cutter and hammer >>). But please help me get better by commenting on how to improve! xD lol.

P.S. JULM was having a bad day =b

Anywho, here are the vids!

WTF?(Kirby) vs JULM(Lucas) Match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL7SuZYOTCk

WTF?(Kirby) vs JULM(Lucas) Match 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3fs2xVqjSE

Edit: NEW MATCHES!(6/5/08)

WTF?(Kirby) vs Betty(Lucas) Match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYef_UED5zc

WTF?(Kirby) vs Betty(Lucas) Match 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jl3RKI1Hx0

Edit 2: More New Matches!!!!(6/12/08) If you see a timer on, it was a tournament match

WTF?(Kirby) vs I actually Forgot Who(Wario) Match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaNftamDhc

WTF?(Kirby) vs I actually Forgot Who(DK) Match 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElHc34ens8

WTF?(Kirby) vs I actually Forgot Who(G&W) Match 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoQf-qNmays

WTF?(Kirby) vs I actually Forgot Who(Snake) Match 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftkRzdDKEI

Please re-comment on how I've improved(well if I have anyways xD)

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Watch t!mmy's and h1roshi's vids, they are goooood.
Yes, you spam the moves. Also, try short hopping more. Add more Fairs, Dairs and Bairs. Utilize all of Kirby's moves.

KonoK

Smash Cadet
Well in the first video, I saw you up tilting, and then doing nothing. You can follow up an up tilt with something else, like uair. Try to hit the person when you grab them. Use your bair more, and also I don't like using the hammer too much. If I miss, I usually get punished. I also see you keep killing from the stage. Kirby edgegaurds pretty well. The aerial hammer and fair can help you with horizontal recovery, if you ever need it.

Sorry if this doesn't help much...

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I think that you tend to use final cutter when both you and the opponent are in the air to pull him back to the ground with you. It would generally be better to use your aerials against your opponent instead (especially bair) Also you seem to kill from the stage a lot with hammer, just realize that it isn't your only kill move and that you can kill from attacking the opponent with multiple bairs , fsmash, dair spike, and sometimes usmash and dsmash. Really the biggest advice I can give you is try to be less predictable and mix in a variety of approaches and finishers.

Hope this helps :)

Arcanejazz

Smash Apprentice
wow, you guys owned on advice *had nothing useful to add, but was gonna*

these guys have the basic plan you need to stick to. kirby, the way i see him, tends to be a high-risk/high-reward character. his moves arent that damaging, he has pitiful range compared to monsters like Ike and Snake, but his lower knockback allows stringing multiple hits together more easily, like his wall of b-airs. but, the best kill moves hes got (hammer, well used stone drops, and f-smash) are amazing, and should be used sparingly to avoid stale moves.

thats all i got, hope it helps ^^;

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Thanks a bunch guys! I can really see where all of your advice plays in! I'll post a video after I work on this stuff some more ^^

P.S. What would you guys say is kirby's most spammable move in a match(if any)? In other words, what would be the move to use when you just want to rack some damage up and don't aren't exactly engaging in mindgames yet(probably beginning of a match, etc.) I think understanding which of kirby's moves are the general spam moves would really help me cut back from using high power attacks so much and kicking decay in >> =]

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Fair is adequate to spam... but I wouldn't really spam it.

Two moves for racking up damage: Bair and Dair.
Bair is generally the best move for racking up damage as it is hard to punish if you space right very fast and high priority. Dair is good but is easier to punish if your opponent knows how. Also the usefulness of Dair depends on the opponents upsmash and uptilt. Characters with powerful upsmashes and uptilts are much safer to bair spam for damage.
Also, fsmash can be a good damage dealer too if you see attacks that you can outprioritize with it. Example would be metaknight doing his jab spam. You can just fsmash him while he does this for some easy damage.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
It's been said, tried and true, "WOP the BAir!" (...Sounds a lot like Whop the Bear...)

Also, Jump and UAir; it's more so like a "Ground of Pain" But it comes out quick. It really helps with low percentages and fast fallers. On the ground, UTilt (Or USmash if they're still pretty low) and follow up with it.

Try to also use his Tilts more, too. Many people underestimate a DTilt but the tripping can cause can set up a Clean FSmash and stuff. And FTilts are good for getting people out of your face (And maybe lock?).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If you know how to do rising aerials, do it! It's very good for approaching with Bair.

It also looked like you didn't know how high you have to jump to get the two full hammer swings before hitting the ground. Remember that one full jump lets you get two hammers swings before hitting the ground.

Try to do aerial combos as much as possible. Kirby is amazing in the air. Bair, and Fair are enough to keep your opponent in the air. Dair to spike.

Can't really think of anything else right now, but there's alot Kirby can do besides the stuff you were doing in the vids.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
It's pretty good. You've got the hang of the spike and Reaper Combo. But, don't use smashes or stone or anything until your opponent is over 100%. Hammer and aerials can be used to combo at earlier percents. Bair should be used to KO at higher percentages since it comes out so quick.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Update! Improved my game a bit, even though the new two vids are a few weeks old. I'm starting to use bair a bit more now =b

OldManTellah

Smash Cadet
I watched match 1 vs. Lucas and I would say use final cutter less and use Short Hop hammer instead of grounded because you can pull it out faster. Other than that we play pretty similarly.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
Alright, a few things:

1) If your opponent is at 0%, don't throw them down, throw them foward first followed by a up air, and you can most likely grab them again soon after the up air (unless they're ROB -.-). If they're heavy enough, you can do another foward throw followed by another up air. If they're not heavy enough, then probably a down throw is the best way to go.

2) Also about grabs, learn to pummel them a few times before you throw them, each pummel only does 1%, but if you keep grabbing, those pummels add up. Learn how many times is safe to pummel before they can get out of the grab as well. Below 50% is like 1-2 maybe 3? Above 50% is 3-4 maybe 5, you just have to get used to it.

3) Don't use foward smash more than once below 90%. Using this move too much makes it stale and won't kill at 90-100%, like it should. Foward tilt can be used as a substitute. Try a neutral attack, or juggling them to rack up damage. Throwing someone foward at around 50% usually gets your opponent in the right spot to start juggling with up airs and foward airs. You can also start juggling combos with up tilt into a back air.

I don't mean to advertise, but check out

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173737

It contains videos of my matches of a winners and grand finals in a recent tournament I was in. They show how to pull off these juggling combos.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Oldman: Haha, ya I kinda noticed that....In the more recent videos I don't do them nearly as much anymore xD I think I was doing it instinctually as a counter spam to the pk fire? Iono =b

Deg: Thanks a bunch for the advice on grabs! I'll be sure to try the fgrab-->uair-->grab combo. Pummeling is something i've always had trouble with, but I'll work on that(the guidelines you gave help since I always figured two was always max). Forward smash I'll try and cut back on and replace it with ftilt(after I master ftilting on command X_X). As for nair, is this a good way to approach? I've attempted it a few times but I always misjudge the hitbox or end up jumping over them...
And finally ya, lol. I was watching a few of those earlier today. I'll be sure to pay closer attention to the juggling combos. (and grats btw)

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
I don't really use Nair, I really should though. The way it seems to me, if you use Nair, be sure you're going to hit the ground immediately after using it, because of it's bad ending lag. If I wanna approach somebody, I inch my way with back airs. This approach also works really well against campy spammers. Just be sure not to get shield grabbed if you do use this approach.

Oh, and thx! :D

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
down-tilt makes 'em trip, which can easily be followed by a Fsmash or a dash attack if they like to roll backwards after the trip, like Deg does XD. And yeah, abuse teh Up-tilts!!!!!

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
hmm I only saw the lucas matches just now but... something about your kirby just feels a bit.. "slow"

I think you need to pressure your opponent more and punish all of their mistakes and pressure them into making mistakes. Haha I can't quite explain it really maybe its just my agressive playstyle and you're playing with a more defensive one.

Also use Uair more its great for juggling when your opponent is in the air, and bair is great too.

Fastfalling in a bair is great btw. You can actually hit an opponent below you by starting a bair above them and fastfalling into them. An example would be fastfalling through a platform on battlefield and immediately starting a bair and your hitbox will fall into them.

And I wish I could explain that pressure thing more... but yea put more pressure on your opponents if you can understand what I mean lol :)

Edit: just realized all your matches are against lucas lol... i mean the two newer ones :laugh:

IDK

Smash Lord
wasnt a very good lucas but ok job. also your kirby is way better than your marth.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
DONT ROLL!!!! lol it'll get u killed guaranteed. Ur lack of spacing is leaving u open. Make it difficult for ur opponent to approach by spacing well. U'll land more hits and create more opportunities. try not to use ur smashes to much. The less u use them when ur opponent has low damage the stronger they'll be when he has more. Utilize all of Kirby's moves, they are all good in the right situation.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Alright well, you're getting a little better. One thing I see wrong is you need to play faster. Meaning you need to run more often, trying doing fast falls between each jump, or just fast falling all together. Walking is good for mind games every now and then (sorry if I'm repeating myself lol).

And yeah, what Gonzo said. Space yourself with foward tilts, down tilts, and back airs. The way I use a foward tilt is press half way on the right or left on the joystick (I think you were asking about this before?)

Top Bottom