• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't wavedash or L cancel concistantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurfy EXE

Smash Apprentice
Mod EDIT: Removed per User Request

Last edited by a moderator:

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
Are you playing on the same T.V? Sometimes the Timing changes with different types of T.v's. But other then that, I think it's just a lack of consistancy in gameplay. Maybe you should just keep it calm while you play/Warm up before hand.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
are you sure its not just you? or your controller?

edit: flat screen tv's suck for smash.

Binx

Smash Master
Just keep your hands warmer, I find that's often the problem when I'm not playing at my most technical.

Smurfy EXE

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I try to play a little bit every day, so, yeah. I am playing on the same TV its not just techs and L cancels, its just about everything, comboes never wanna work and Link never wants to turn around. Its probably just me, I'm gonna play my brother and see if I do any better, computers are annoying. I try to warm up everyday by doing 1 adventure on Very Easy, and then do the target test, both just for Agility warm ups and then I play some 1 on 1's with a Lvl 1 comp for Combo training. My controller seems fine, I was planning on getting one of those new White ones anyways...

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I totally have that problem sometimes, which can be especially annoying when playing fox. What I do is basically buttonmash, but stay in control, before I start playing and the game is turning on. It increases the temperature of my hands and gets the blood flowing, ya know?

And this is sort of off topic, but I am also a technical guitar player, which can give you the same problems if your hands aren't warmed up. I wear fingerless gloves so that I warm up quicker, especially if i'm coming in from the cold. Maybe it works for Melee too???

I always use the same controller, and I warm up by fighting level ones.

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion what you should try warming up, is playing against a level 1 computer, or just against a human(who's not playing) to practice Lcancels both SH'd and full jumped. And etc, and it's good if your hands are warm, and your controller is decent.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, when i train i simply start in versus mode with a non combatant as fiend.

Just run around and see if you can shuffle around, with fox nairing more than 8 times in a row usually becomes exceptionally straining in my case.
I like to train long wavedashes, Waveshines(I usually mess up with Illusions and stuff -_-), wavelanding, and ofc the simple shorthops and SHL/SHDL's.

Anyhow i'm sure you can do atleast one shuffle in the silence and depth without screwing up ;P

Try to do another one right after. L-canceling should come naturally(I do it with R)

Simply I try to hit R each time i touch the ground, except when i wanna flubb a tech on purpose.

My advice would be to focus less on comboing and working hard on making shuffles and rightfully wavedashes something natural. When you master those aspects you can often move on to comboing, though its hard with link :p

Once you get the sence for l-canceling all attacks on ground it should be piece a pie to l-cancel 100% of the time. Even with other characters ^^
There are though some abillities which feel strange why L-canceling and the timing becomes weird with them, like falcon Dair, Fox Dair, Marth dair et.c

But i'm not an exceptional player at melee so dont take my tips for granted, just how i do.

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
True that, the technical aspect imo, comes before comboing, if you can minimize the Mistakes you can make, then your well off then trying to combo with laggy moves.

Smurfy EXE

Smash Apprentice
I'm doing better thanx guys, and I will never stop playing Brawl! I love all 3 games :3 stop being a hater. I know, off topic. but still, thanx for your help, and how come the name of my thread got changed?! and spelled wrong for that matter?!

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
without reading anything other than the OP, i say just play the balls out of it.
that's all you can do IMO.

what on earth is that disturbing sig? lmaolol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom