• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't Imagine this:

Shadowclaw

Smash Cadet
CharMANDER will die if its tail flame goes out. CharIZARD won't. This has been shown in the anime several times.
Wrong. There has never been shown on the anime that Charmander dies if submerged in water. If you take a look at the Pokémon Crystal's Pokédex, Charmander's entry states: If it's healthy, the flame on the tip of its tail will burn vigorously, even if it gets a bit wet. Also, if we read his entry on Pokémon Diamond/Pearl Pokédex, we have: The fire on the tip of its tail is a measure of its life. If healthy, its tail burns intensely.

Since it's tail is a measure of it's life, if it burns weakly it means the Pokémon is weak, and consequently, if it goes out, it means that it has died. It does not mean that the Pokémon will die just by dousing out his flame with external means. One thing triggers the other; it's a one-way cycle. The water does weaken the Pokémon, hence why it's not recommended to get exposed to it, but saying that it will die is exaggerating.

And back to the anime thing, there are also episodes where my statement is confirmed: The first one being The Island of Giant Pokémon, where, if you remember, at the end of the episode everyone gets launched on the cart and fall on the water. You can clearly see all Pokémon (Charmander included) in the cart during a close-up scene just before they get submerged. Also, in Those Darn Electabuzz!, Charizard's trainer says that his Charizard is so afraid of the water because he once fell on a lake as a Charmander.

supermarioshell

Smash Apprentice
Wrong. There has never been shown on the anime that Charmander dies if submerged in water. If you take a look at the Pokémon Crystal's Pokédex, Charmander's entry states: If it's healthy, the flame on the tip of its tail will burn vigorously, even if it gets a bit wet. Also, if we read his entry on Pokémon Diamond/Pearl Pokédex, we have: The fire on the tip of its tail is a measure of its life. If healthy, its tail burns intensely.

Since it's tail is a measure of it's life, if it burns weakly it means the Pokémon is weak, and consequently, if it goes out, it means that it has died. It does not mean that the Pokémon will die just by dousing out his flame with external means. One thing triggers the other; it's a one-way cycle. The water does weaken the Pokémon, hence why it's not recommended to get exposed to it, but saying that it will die is exaggerating.

And back to the anime thing, there are also episodes where my statement is confirmed: The first one being The Island of Giant Pokémon, where, if you remember, at the end of the episode everyone gets launched on the cart and fall on the water. You can clearly see all Pokémon (Charmander included) in the cart during a close-up scene just before they get submerged. Also, in Those Darn Electabuzz!, Charizard's trainer says that his Charizard is so afraid of the water because he once fell on a lake as a Charmander.
Sorry to be so n00bish, but in the second episode, charmander is near death because of the rain. *ignores the big paragraphs and just listens to the first sentance*

Shadowclaw

Smash Cadet
Sorry to be so n00bish, but in the second episode, charmander is near death because of the rain. *ignores the big paragraphs and just listens to the first sentance*
First off, what second episode are you referring to? The second episode in the Pokémon anime is Pokémon Emergency and Charmander makes his first appearance until episode 11.

Second, Charmander was already weak before the rain started, and they made it very clear when they found it on the rock with a weak flame. The rain only made it worse. Also, if you remember well, a group of Spearows attacked Charmander just before being taken to the Pokémon Center.

Edit: Oh, and ignoring facts is a very weak and pointless reply. If you prefer to live in the ignorance and think the earth is flat, then that is your problem.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
lol i love this thread.

but seriously, charizard will obviously be able to swim, it would be stupid if he couldn't.

I'm hoping ivysaur uses his vines as arms and that squirtle pulls out his sunglasses as one of his taunts.

supermarioshell

Smash Apprentice
First off, what second episode are you referring to? The second episode in the Pokémon anime is Pokémon Emergency and Charmander makes his first appearance until episode 11.

Second, Charmander was already weak before the rain started, and they made it very clear when they found it on the rock with a weak flame. The rain only made it worse. Also, if you remember well, a group of Spearows attacked Charmander just before being taken to the Pokémon Center.

Edit: Oh, and ignoring facts is a very weak and pointless reply. If you prefer to live in the ignorance and think the earth is flat, then that is your problem.
Ignorance is the way to roll for me.
And I can't remember a lot of anime since I hated the show about 2-3 years after watching it.
(Its kind of obvious who is going to win the rounds...-_-)

supermarioshell

Smash Apprentice
lol i love this thread.

but seriously, charizard will obviously be able to swim, it would be stupid if he couldn't.

I'm hoping ivysaur uses his vines as arms and that squirtle pulls out his sunglasses as one of his taunts.
I love you loving this thread, therefore making me metrosexual.

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
Charizard ran in that Pikachu's Vacation short movie released with the First Movie I think. Although I think they were going for comic effect, it would be so awesome if he actually ran like that in Brawl...

>_>

Does anyone know what I'm talking about...
My little brother [4 years old] just got into Pocket Monsters so I've seen that one many times.

also [unrelated] SCYTHER 4 BRAWL! :D

Enigma14

Smash Champion
not sure if this has been pointed out but...

How does PT stay in the BG of Norfair?

Shadowclaw

Smash Cadet
What dimension can he stay in?

Also isnt it odd that Pichu can fight on its own, but The 3 pokemon need a trainer?
He'll use Unown to transport himself to their dimension! Then he'll come back when the wave has passed:idea:. And by the way, it's Pikachu, not Pichu. Also, remember that the character is the Pokémon Trainer himself, not the Pokémon, but since he's just a kid with no fighting skills, he just sends his Pokémon to battle for him. So unfair for them. :p

Wazoo21

Smash Apprentice
Charizard's water issues are ***** and violated throughout the anime. If rain can almost kill a Charmander, and falling in a lake can make it only scared for life...I can has consistency?

supermarioshell

Smash Apprentice
Charizard's water issues are ***** and violated throughout the anime. If rain can almost kill a Charmander, and falling in a lake can make it only scared for life...I can has consistency?
For a Char-Mander/Izard/Meleon, a simple puddle is like drugs. You don't know whats going to happen.

And what about charizard in Norfair? Will it get healthyer somehow??? 0_o

Shadowclaw

Smash Cadet
Waah! Why do people keep missing stuff? x.x I already said in a previous post that Charmander was already weak before the rain even started, and he also got attacked during the rain.

Think of being exhausted and having to fight for your life with, say, a mad psychopath. Hard enough, no? Now think about the same situation, but add that you're also sick (this is my analogy with the rain). It becomes even harder. If you died, it would have not been your sickness that killed you, it would have been the fight. Your sickness would have only made it more difficult to fight back.

Anyways.. If we're still basing things on the cartoon, Charizard would probably not get healthier with the lava, it just wouldn't hurt him or very slightly (since he has already been inside lava in the series and he seemed rather unaffected). But I really don't think they'll do that in the game anyways.. Makes the Pokémon Trainer very stage-dependent and in some stages he would rule, while in others he would be at disadvantage (this is just a supposition, anyways).

Darkurai

Smash Master
Waah! Why do people keep missing stuff? x.x I already said in a previous post that Charmander was already weak before the rain even started, and he also got attacked during the rain.

Think of being exhausted and having to fight for your life with, say, a mad psychopath. Hard enough, no? Now think about the same situation, but add that you're also sick (this is my analogy with the rain). It becomes even harder. If you died, it would have not been your sickness that killed you, it would have been the fight. Your sickness would have only made it more difficult to fight back.

Anyways.. If we're still basing things on the cartoon, Charizard would probably not get healthier with the lava, it just wouldn't hurt him or very slightly (since he has already been inside lava in the series and he seemed rather unaffected). But I really don't think they'll do that in the game anyways.. Makes the Pokémon Trainer very stage-dependent and in some stages he would rule, while in others he would be at disadvantage (this is just a supposition, anyways).
http://youtube.com/watch?v=heaF3mh3PZw
7:33.

Shadowclaw

Smash Cadet
Sigh.. Once again, failure to read previous posts. You should go back a page or two and actually read my posts.

Anyways, to respond to your post, you're quoting Brock on "If it's flame goes out, it'll die!". Now, check the same video again, but let's hear 2:55 now. "It is said that a Charmander dies if it flame ever goes out". Straight from the Pokédex, it is said, it's not a fact. Now, who should have more knowledge about that subject? Brock, user of rock types, or the Pokédex, advanced encyclopedia developed by researchers? Heck, proof that even within the anime there's ignorance in that subject...

And on a side note, I wouldn't rely on the English dub for future reference. You'd be surprised at the stupid amount of mistakes/adaptations/banning that 4Kids did to that show (though I'm sure that's nothing new).

Darkurai

Smash Master
And on a side note, I wouldn't rely on the English dub for future reference. You'd be surprised at the stupid amount of mistakes/adaptations/banning that 4Kids did to that show (though I'm sure that's nothing new).
The ridiculous dubbing that 4Kids does can no longer surprise me.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
ivysaur probably uses his vines since its what he uses to grab and do tether recovery.

charizard probably flies just barely off the ground, probably dragging his feet too.

:)

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
People, Shadowclaw is right.

Water will not kill Charizard. Stop using crappy Anime logic, the Anime doesn't know what it's talking about most of the time.

Ivysaur could just use his Vines to grab things, including the Cracker Launcher. He could have many Taunts, those aren't hard to make.

Charizard could probably run like Bowser or Mewtwo does, but I really hope he runs like he does in the Anime, cause that would be hilarious! :laugh:

And Kirby's Ivysaur hat would probably have to be the bulb. Otherwise, how would he use Bullet Seed..?

People, Shadowclaw is right.

Water will not kill Charizard. Stop using crappy Anime logic, the Anime doesn't know what it's talking about most of the time.

Ivysaur could just use his Vines to grab things, including the Cracker Launcher. He could have many Taunts, those aren't hard to make.

Charizard could probably run like Bowser or Mewtwo does, but I really hope he runs like he does in the Anime, cause that would be hilarious! :laugh:

And Kirby's Ivysaur hat would probably have to be the bulb. Otherwise, how would he use Bullet Seed..?
The Anime isn't the one that made up the fire goes out = die thing. It was the GAMES...

"From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out." - Charmander's pokedex entry. It is assumed that this carries over to its evolved form, Charizard

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
The Anime isn't the one that made up the fire goes out = die thing. It was the GAMES...

"From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out." - Charmander's pokedex entry. It is assumed that this carries over to its evolved form, Charizard
you DO realize what happens when you ASSume? right?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master

Yeah but water wont put out its flame. The flame is only a beacon that shows it's life force, it doesn't work like natural fire. That's why you can use Charizard when it's raining.

Top Bottom