• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't find a single character I like

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
I have played 800 matches of smash brothers according to my records, yet I still cannot find a character that I enjoy enough to main. I have had short periods where I like one character more than the others, but no character has stood out enough to become my main. I don't even know my own playstyle, so it's hard for me to chose a character based on that. Does anyone have advice as to how I can find a main character? I have played every character at least twice in a full length match. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Other than just playing every character available, maybe try experimenting with custom moves/equipment/Miis? There might be a certain combination out there that suits you.

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
Other than just playing every character available, maybe try experimenting with custom moves/equipment/Miis? There might be a certain combination out there that suits you.
I've played miis and custom moves aren't tournament legal nor can you use them online

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
If you can't settle on a single character, then keep on playing all of them. Main random select and take the competitive scene by storm.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I've played miis and custom moves aren't tournament legal nor can you use them online
I think there are some tournaments out there that allow custom moves, and you can use them online with friends.

Anyway, if you don't like playing as any character, customized or not, then maybe the game in general just isn't for you.

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
If you can't settle on a single character, then keep on playing all of them. Main random select and take the competitive scene by storm.
I will never beat someone that mains a certain character, with a character that i only play 1/49 of the time :(

Last edited:

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
I think there are some tournaments out there that allow custom moves, and you can use them online with friends.

Anyway, if you don't like playing as any character, customized or not, then maybe the game in general just isn't for you.
dont have friends, and whats the point if I only did play with friends. I definitely like smash but I just feel like ive hit a wall and i cant get better unless i learn how to play a single character.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I have played 800 matches of smash brothers according to my records, yet I still cannot find a character that I enjoy enough to main. I have had short periods where I like one character more than the others, but no character has stood out enough to become my main. I don't even know my own playstyle, so it's hard for me to chose a character based on that. Does anyone have advice as to how I can find a main character? I have played every character at least twice in a full length match. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance :)
Honestly, I had the opposite problem. There were too many interesting characters that I could potentially use. Regardless, if you cannot find a character that you actually enjoy, maybe you should just pick the one that you are the best with? Other than that, if you are a character loyalist, you could just use the character that you like the most. For instance, if you are a Mario fan you might as well use Mario (if it makes no difference to you).

If you want to find out the character that you actually resonate with, maybe 800 matches was not enough. Perhaps you need 1600 matches to gauge your main? The number is arbitrary, you have to keep on playing until you get a feel for which character you want to main. Some people find their mains day one. Others do not decide until a year down the line. It depends. For now, you could always use your main from a different Smash until you are done experimenting to find the definitive answer.

To find my main (Fox), I played a four way mirror with my partner and two level 9 computers. In this case, you get a feel for all of the character's options and become familiar with their tool-kit. I do that for about five minutes (minute match on neutral stage). After that, I just one versus one my partner, again, in a mirror match. We did that for the entire cast about 3 times until we started settling on mains. She does not even have a main yet, still trying to narrow it down. I decided to choose Fox as he was not only a character that I am a fan of, but he was viable and fun. Sheik was another character I was thinking about, she is obviously viable and I like her from Legend of Zelda, but I do not really have fun with her. I knew that I wanted to find a jack of all trades character from the beginning and after experimentation, Fox was the answer. Not one that I expected either. I suppose the criteria varies from person to person. I cannot tell you what is most important to you.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wait a few months. Trust me on this, the best character in the game will be made obvious in Spring 2015.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
you should try choosing a character based on what games you played, example: you played lots of zelda so try some zelda characters.

it dont matter if they cant throw bananas or bounce liek a fish, just get used to the one you like

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
if you've played this long and dont like a SINGLE character, then are u sure you like this game? are u just playing it cause it gives you something to do? lol im not getting it. its not somethin you have to force. it just happens

and how do you not know YOUR own playstyle? are u there when you play? do you black out or something? lol how do you not know what you do when you play? It really sounds like you're trying to force it. Instead of worrying about finding a character to be competitive with, just sit back and enjoy more of the game. Play the game for fun right now instead of purely for competition before it becomes like a chore and u stop enjoying it alltogether

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Just main Ganon. Hitting people with him feels sooo satisfying. Warning: side effects may include beard growth, beard reddening, dark green skin, growth to about 8 feet tall, maniacal laughing, and a strange attraction to golden triangles.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
i had the same problem early on aswell, look at the "weird" characters . I love playing Palutena, Olimar and Robin.
because there different, under-used and fun to find combos in.

i guess i can make a step how I found my Main(s).
1.Look for games you love. (kid Icarus, Zelda, Pikmin)
2.Look for awesome character designs in said favorite games (Red Palutena, Blue Toon-link, Olimar)
3.Look to play your character optimally (and think of follow ups)
4.Look for awesome and long string combos that are fun to preform. (just attacking can be boring)
5.Feel the character! If your not wanting to play your characters combos in training, keep looking!
- (its about having fun!)

You should find a play-style in that! You have to have a play-style! i had this same problem early on but after finding THE character, i found out that im hyper defensive and poke alot.

and remember play more then just 2 games with the character, its going to take time to find the optimal way to play.
but if your having a horrible time playing the character. leave it! again its about having fun!

This is all i can do! it might not help but, I hope you find a main and have some fun in smash!

Last edited:

KinkoTheEevee

Smash Cadet
NNID
KinkoTheEevee
My advice is to find what suits you. Do you like to play heavy characters that hit hard? Or do you like light characters (Jigglypuff :p) who poke and annoy the opponent? That's my advice, but there are people who could give you a better answer than me :grin:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd say look up your records again, and play the character(s) you've used the most so far. Those are the ones best suited to you, perhaps.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I would recommend playing a few games that are similar in style but not competitive, like a good brawler that has multiple characters to play (I recommended Hyrule Warriors to another smasher, but there are others. Good Action RPGs with multiple weapon types and styles can also give you an idea) and see what play style you gravitate to. Maybe you tend to favor lighting fast characters that dazzle their opponents, characters with strong ranged options, or characters that shrug off hits and dish out more back. You need to see how you personally focus on combat before finding out which character you should partner with.

Once you know yourself better, narrowing down your choice of character becomes easier. Like fast characters that dazzle? Try Sheik, Fox or Captain Falcon. Like characters with ranged options for any situation, go with Link, Samus or Zelda. Like heavy hitting tanks? Bowser, Ike and Ganondorf are all good fights. With 49 tools to work with, I know there is something here that will fit your play style. You just need to know exactly what you would do in a fight in order to pick the best one.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I like Robin, Ike, Captain Falcon, and Toon Link. I've found that I don't have a specific playstyle, I just play the character and become their playstyle, if that makes sense.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
As someone with 2300 online matches done and a fair amount of use of every character in single player modes, I can sympathize. For me, Smash 4 has a lot of characters that appeal to me, but none of them really feel like a right fit and it's rather infuriating, even my long-time mains of Jiggs and Luigi (odd too, they both seem good to me in this game, especially Luigi).

What qualities do you enjoy in a character? Which character will you have to make the least amount of compromises to pick up? I'm not sure what your hangup on finding a main is, so it's hard for me to find a middle ground between blindly assuming what the problem is and saying something vague and unhelpful, but these are probably the main two points to consider.

I tend to prefer floaty characters with a strong offstage presence that are rewarded most for patient play, and ideally have a good amount of range on their attacks. Luigi's poor airspeed means he can't really go deep to edgeguard (and I can't mash well enough to effectively use Cyclone offstage) and him and Jiggs both have poor range, so that's likely why I dropped them. Dedede has a solid edgeguarding game thanks to his recovery and his range is love, but I can't tolerate his matchup spread and godawful approach (fighting characters like Mega Man with him is hell). Greninja is fast and just generally fun to play, but the kill power nerfs on his aerials, endlag nerf on Water Shuriken, and worst OoS options in the game + lack of a safe approach frequently has me feeling the character isn't as rewarding as he should be for what he is, and I have no emotional attachment to the character itself like I do with Luigi/Jiggs/Dedede. Meta Knight seemed like a great choice for his offstage game comparable to Dedede's and solid punish options in combos and Mach Tornado, but the awkward end lag on a lot of his moves makes him feel far too clunky to me.

There were brief stints with many other characters such as Ike, Yoshi, Robin, Zelda, and Mega Man, but for the sake of speeding things along...

Currently I'm on Rosalina; her recovery is aggravating sometimes and I usually don't like characters with variable power level, but she feels rewarding to play and has a comfortable amount of range and safety while doing what I want a character to do. Outside her issues with whiffing short characters, whenever I lose with Rosalina I feel like it's my fault instead of the character's, and largely that makes me feel a lot more confident overall in my decision to play as her.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I practically main Random. Unless you really want to become competitive (in which case, simplify the process by maining the top tier you hate the least), just keep playing some of everyone. Doing so is a great way to master the fundamentals.

Also, I find it helpful to consider characters you like in other games (if you play other games, doesn't even need to be fighting games).

Last edited:

Neecko Senpai

Smash Rookie
Mains aren't necessary in this game. If know the move set of the character you're playing you can overcome any match in Smash 4.

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
The problem is, I can't just pick a character from my favorite franchise because I don't really have any favorite nintendo series. I mainly play pc games. I have found Falco to be a pretty cool character though, and I am trying to learn his basics and see if I really like him enough to main him. thanks to everyone that posted in this thread though and I hope you don't feel like I wasted your time.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just look at the roster for a few minutes, see who your eyes naturally focus upon, select them and start playing them.

It's much, much easier to just let your main come to you, and you'll know it's right once you've got that spark.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If you're not a huge fan any single character, look up tournament videos of every character you can. Eventually you are going to find a character, or notice a certain way that someone plays a character that will look really cool and fun - and make you want to emulate their playstyle. That is how I got all my mains.

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
I don't choose characters based on looks unfortunately. I base my character solely on gameplay and not background nor appearence, so those options really arent viable.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ness is my main now because he's been my main in 64 and secondary in Melee and Brawl. My mains in Melee and Brawl were cut, but my Melee main will be back as DLC. So for now, Ness is my main until Mewtwo returns. My mains are based on who I like as a character and not by play style. Then again, I usually do a few matches as main and secondaries then start playing random just because I like playing as different characters. I don't think there's anything wrong with not having a main.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
The problem is, I can't just pick a character from my favorite franchise because I don't really have any favorite nintendo series. I mainly play pc games.
have you ever played any of the other smash games or did u just pick it up for the first time now? it really just seems like you got the game cause its hot right now and you wanna be good at the game that everyone's playing. This is the poster game for nintendo fanboys and you dont have any favorite series out of all of them? you sure you're playing the right game?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I don't choose characters based on looks unfortunately. I base my character solely on gameplay and not background nor appearence, so those options really arent viable.
But if you see a character being played by someone skilled, who makes him look really fun to play, that doesn't make you want to try him out? I mean, watching top players is a great way to learn how to effectively use techs and mixups and emulating them can really help develop your playstyle.

Mechanics ARE important - as you need to get a good feel for the character to really be able to play effectively. You mentioned you may like Falco - play him till you get sick of him and switch to someone else for a bit. Then head back to Falco a little bit later and see if you were able to retain the same feel and enjoyment you had for that character. If so, then you may have found a character you like.

have you ever played any of the other smash games or did u just pick it up for the first time now? it really just seems like you got the game cause its hot right now and you wanna be good at the game that everyone's playing. This is the poster game for nintendo fanboys and you dont have any favorite series out of all of them? you sure you're playing the right game?
I have to agree a little bit - if you aren't a big fan of Nintendo and mainly play PC games, what do you usually like? Just a fan of fighters in general?

Last edited:

QQue

Smash Rookie
NNID
QQninja
Can't find a character that fits you? Don't know where to start and feel like PLAYING EVERYONE is daunting. Try the characters from your favorite game! Try at least 3-4 games on each character before you move on, one game doesn't give you enough information about that character and you might be throwing away a gem you end up picking up later on.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
If I were you, I'd just play the character that I have the best win/loss ratio with.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
If you really don't prefer the preliminary feel of one character over the others, then try watching some pro play online. See which characters have strategies or combos that you think look cool or would be fun to use. Just playing characters you'll miss a lot of their higher-level techniques. For example, my interest in Robin jumped up when I learned you could grab people out of Arcthunder and Arcfire. It's super cool and rewarding to execute.

Pusha

Smash Rookie
Villager is probably the most fun character to play with in my opinion, and once you dig a little deeper there's a lot of options for him

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
Just main Ganon. Hitting people with him feels sooo satisfying. Warning: side effects may include beard growth, beard reddening, dark green skin, growth to about 8 feet tall, maniacal laughing, and a strange attraction to golden triangles.
Don't forget to spam up-smash when you KO your opponent. That "HYAAAH" is so exhilarating.

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
But if you see a character being played by someone skilled, who makes him look really fun to play, that doesn't make you want to try him out? I mean, watching top players is a great way to learn how to effectively use techs and mixups and emulating them can really help develop your playstyle.
I never said anything about watching pros? I'm talking about the people that suggest picking a character based on your favorite game or someone that you think looks cool.

JohnCenaWWE

Smash Rookie
You can't enjoy a game because of its gameplay you have to enjoy it because its based on other franchises or else ur not a true fan :^)

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Smash Bros is literally a game where various characters from Nintendo's greatest franchises fight it out.

If you can not find a character you like, you should not be playing this game.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Then stop trying.

It'll happen naturally. Any fighting game I play, I main the character I feel most comfortable with naturally, and it's seldom if ever a conscious decision - I just come across a certain character and decide, "I like you. I'mma play you."

Try as I might, I can never seem to find another main in these games. I can play as other characters and have fun with them - hell, I may even be good with them - but I'll always end up coming back to that one character. That one character is my character and I love playing them. Smash is an exception, wherein I have two, but in general, I play one character primarily over the others. I can't even say how or why, I just do.

For example:

BlazBlue? Ooh, a cute kitty cat thing!

Tekken? Hey, that blonde-haired brawler is androgynous like me!

Street Fighter? Fighting schoolgirl, job done!

Skullgirls? This ninja nurse is pretty great!

Dead or Alive? I love that twin-tailed Gothic Lolita girl!

Smash? The two heroes from my all-time favourite game!

And so on and so forth.

The point is, you can't force these things, and you can't force yourself to enjoy the game or the characters. If you don't like any of the characters, then keep playing - you'll find one eventually, even, and perhaps especially, if you don't think you will.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Once you know yourself better, narrowing down your choice of character becomes easier. Like fast characters that dazzle? Try Sheik, Fox or Captain Falcon. Like characters with ranged options for any situation, go with Link, Samus or Zelda. Like heavy hitting tanks? Bowser, Ike and Ganondorf are all good fights. With 49 tools to work with, I know there is something here that will fit your play style. You just need to know exactly what you would do in a fight in order to pick the best one.
This is the best post in the thread so far - my final suggestion to OP would be to play characters you think you might like better than others and narrow it down, your niche will fall into place.

Other than that we will just be talking in circles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom