• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I believe Ike's Chances for Brawl have just risen

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
i honestly cant stand when people say roy was only put in to advertise... originally i heard a few people say it that probably knew what they were talking about... and now practically everyone says that... its so annoying... they hear it on smashboards and it must be fact... then they spread it for other people to hear, and pretty soon, everyone takes it as fact...

even if roy was put in to advertise, I HATE when people use that as an excuse just becuase they hear everyone saying it...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Actually, the series really didn't really seem to catch on over here until The Sacred Stones in regard to total sales (367,000),
And that game was extremelly unpopular (because it sucked and was too easy)

It;'s ironic actually, marth's more popular then Roy in japan 9I think0, yet Roy seems WAY cooler then Mrth here in America. Do youthink it's because Roy's more powerful?
Marth is statistically stronger.

Roy is unpopular lord from an unpopular (but well selling) game, so therefore should be removed.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
It;'s ironic actually, marth's more popular then Roy in japan 9I think0, yet Roy seems WAY cooler then Mrth here in America. Do youthink it's because Roy's more powerful?
It's because the Japanese have more history with Marth, thus nostalgia-goggles make them like Marth more (As the first and most popular FE lord), while we, having never played Fire Emblem games until recently, could only see that Marth uses a sword, but Roy's sword is on fire, and is thus cooler.

And for the record, and I'm not saying the tiers should matter in choosing what characters should go or stay, but Marth is higher in the tiers, And thus, more powerful than Roy.

D

Deleted member

Does it really matter? Roy is cool. Yes, I play as Marth. If they remove Roy they could easily readd him as downloadable content later.

Back to ike. Since there's a fire emblem stage I'm almost 90% certain he will be in this game.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
And btw, why does everyone want Nephenee? >_> She was alright in PoR, but she's a generic *** character, why not put in a character with importance? Like Ike, Black Knight, or Soren? >.>
She may have been a side character, but, if leveled correctly, she is the absolute best fighter on the battlefield. Personally, I think Stefan, Soren, Rolf, and Nephenee are much better than Ike. Unfortunately, Ike is the Lord/star of the game. This gives him priority over all others from the game.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
She may have been a side character, but, if leveled correctly, she is the absolute best fighter on the battlefield. Personally, I think Stefan, Soren, Rolf, and Nephenee are much better than Ike. Unfortunately, Ike is the Lord/star of the game. This gives him priority over all others from the game.
Yeah Ike's chances are among the others, specially 'cause Sakurai wanted him.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Having a character that everyone has likely heard of instead of just one country wouldn't hurt either. I don't really believe that their potential in Fire Emblem has much to do with which characters are chosen; just the fact that they're the main person would be enough. When was the last time a Fire Emblem game had their Lord actually be one of the strongest fighters? Was Marth and Roy the strongest in theirs? Perhaps not, but I wouldn't know since I never played #6 and lower.

All that beside, I hope the best for Fire Emblem's representation in Brawl, and that whatever character they pick will be for the best. :chuckle:

InfernoheroIH

Smash Rookie
Actually, the series really didn't really seem to catch on over here until The Sacred Stones in regard to total sales (367,000), and didn't really gain much media attention until Path of Radiance. PoR only sold 244,250 units, but considering vast difference between the number of those who own Gamecubes and GBAs, it was proportionally more successful. I can't seem to find the statistics for the total sales of Fire Emblem (FE7), but I do believe it was somewhere around 150,000. But at any rate, I'm a bit tired of fans blowing the impact of FE7 out of proportion all the time. Sure it was OUR first title, but it was little more than than that. And don't forget, if not for Marth AND Roy's inclusion in SSBM, Fire Emblem would likely be a Japan exclusive to this very day - so we really owe it to those two, not Lyn and the gang, for having Fire Emblem available to Western audiences. Also, there is an excellent fan-translation of FE6 available on the internet (the only unlocalized entry in the series to have a complete English translation so far, as FE4 is still incomplete), so it's not like its beyond our reach like the other currently Japan exclusive titles.
Just because the other titles were more popular, doesn't mean they were better :teach:

FE7:Rekka no ken(The blazing sword) (the one with Eliwood, lyn, and Hector) was the perfect balance between difficulty, length, and had excellent character development growth rates.

FE8:The sacred Stones was extremely short, and introduced a game breaking tower which allowed you to level your characters enough to breeze through every level.

FE9:poR reintroduced an older method of class promotion at level 21, but was a little more broken in another way, with weak growth rates, and especially weapon mastery growth rates, either the game was too hard for those new to the series, or way to easy for veterans, not to mention Ike is at least the strongest lord, if not unit, in the history of Fire Emblem games, usually maxing out at least 3 or 4 of his stats, and getting one of the best weapons in the game that is unbreakable (ragnell), along with cutting a favorite class of mine. Mercenaries and Hero's (**** YOU!)

= ) Seriously, among the US released ones 7>9>8

Among those that I've played
7>5>6>9>8

Also, I would say that, according to most core Fire Emblem gamers, if a new Fire Emblem lord is added in, Ike is the most likely choice that will be made.

Roy is a way better SSBM character than he was a unit in fire emblem 6. X_X He's about 3 times as useless as his dad (eliwood) and... that's pretty bad. He's only good when he gets the Sword of Seals (SOS, hence the subtitles of the game), and then he's about unstoppable, against dragons at least, which are the only enemies in the final chapters.

= | I think it would have made more sense to add a CLASS or two to SSB instead of a specific UNIT.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Was Marth and Roy the strongest in theirs? Perhaps not, but I wouldn't know since I never played #6 and lower.
Roy was one of the worse units in his game, I'm not sure about Marth. But Roy only got good after he got the SoS, even then that was all the sword, none of it was Roy!

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Marth was both good and bad.

He is the only lord to NEVER PROMOTE in the history of the series. The units around him can, but Marth maxes at level 20, which means his stats never get a chance to grow like those around him. It's really not fair.

However, with the rapier equipped, he can do pretty good damage and be a pretty helpful teammate. But when that rapier breaks, send him to the back of the pack. He's pretty close to useless after that.

Basically, it's level him up with iron weapons, then have him kill bosses with the rapier.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
i never played a fire emblem game but i think it makes sense that the main lord should get in. i say leave in Roy and Marth add Ike and Lyn an there you go. i dont know if thery are going to put some characters who's name are too hard to pronounce.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Ike would be cool for brawl. I support that idea.
Smae here! At first, I wasn't too sure about the idea, but after playing Path of Radience, I definitely support it!

I mean, while I'm fighting with him, it's as if I can justpicture Ike fighting in Brawl, you know what I mean?

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Well, In the Japanese language, there is no "T-H" sound, so actually Marth is pretty hard for a Japanese person to wrap their tongue around.

Except that in Japan, Marth's name is Mars. Y'know, like the God of War? It's a joke that never translated over here. In any case, the Japanese have no trouble pronouncing his name because it's not the same as over here. Just like how Jigglypuff is Purin.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I think it's the same issue with Aeris, it's spelled Aerith but the way the Japanese pronounce it is Aeris. It seems to come up a lot with translating names.

I assume Ike's name would sound like 'like' (lol) in English, as the Japanese pronounce 'I' sounds like 'EE' sounds.

I was kind of expecting Ike to show up somewhere in GoD seeing as it's meant to be a direct sequel, though unlike Marth he doesn't seem to be a unit, let alone a lord, which ironically enough puts him in a similar boat as Roy.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
The point was that both Roy's our Boy and I like Ike were presidential campaign slogans...

If Ike doesn't make the cut,i believe this character would suffice:

His name is Sigurd,he first appeared in Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu for the SNES,one of the most popular Fire Emblem games in history.Even though he was a Paladin,it is possible for him to fight without being horse mounted.

He is also on Sakurai's suggestion list.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I would take Lyn or Sothe over any other FE character...
maybe the white hair girl (forgot the name)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

His name is Sigurd,he first appeared in Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu for the SNES,one of the most popular Fire Emblem games in history.Even though he was a Paladin,it is possible for him to fight without being horse mounted.

Hey, I think I read about that guy on Wikipedia!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Yeah, it would, except Ike (ee-Kay) doesn't rhyme with Like.
Yeah will in English it isn't pronounced ee-kay it's prounounced like "like" without the l.

Even though he was a Paladin
No he was a Lord Knight.

His name is Sigurd,he first appeared in Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu for the SNES,one of the most popular Fire Emblem games in history.
So? Ike is more likely than Sigurd. Ike was the main charater of a worldwide fire emblem game and there is a good chance he will return in FE10 there has been no confirmation of it though (DDK your picture had a scene from FE9, the japanese around it was talking about Reyson, not Ike)

So are Blue Virus, Chain Chomp and Link's Uncle.

i never played a fire emblem game but i think it makes sense that the main lord should get in. i say leave in Roy and Marth add Ike and Lyn an there you go. i dont know if thery are going to put some characters who's name are too hard to pronounce.
There are 16 main characters.
Marth was the first so is the most important.
Alm and Celica were the second and third but from the least popular game.
Sigurd and Celice were fourth and fifth and Sigurd was pretty popular he stands a good chance.
Leaf was sixth, his game sold horribly so don't expect him to appear.
Roy was the seventh but his game was unpopular (but sold well) and as was he.
Eliwood, Lyn and Hector were eigth, ninth and tenth. Eliwood and Hector don't have fantastic chances but because Lyn wasn't hated in Japan (as much as Hector) and was loved outside of Japan she stands an ok chance.
Eirika and Ephraim were eleventh and twelveth but their game was the second least popular (least popular worldwide) so they too are unlikely.
Ike was the thirteenth and was popular worldwide, I'd be shocked if he wasn't included.
Sothe, Mikaya and Elincia are fourteenth, fifteenth and sixteenth. Mikaya and Elincia stand a decent chance, both being popular but Sothe was unpopular in FE9 so I doubt he'll make it.

D

Deleted member

Link's Uncle? W. T. F.

And I am proud to say I support Leaf, Alm and Ephraim.

Rash

Smash Ace
I'd prefer the likes of Hector. However, he's rather unlikely. I think that a female character like Lyn would be a good (and realistic) choice; she'd be favorable far above Ike, Sigurd, Ephraim, Black Knight, or anyone else.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ideal to me would be 3 Fire Emblem characters, one with a Sword, one with a Lance and one with an Axe. But that seems unlikely, since there are few Lance and Axe Lords which are populair worldwide... Except Hector, if I'm correct, he's in Japan the most populair FE7 character after Nino.

But still I hope they put in BOTH Ike and Marth, even if they are both sword fighters. I wouldn't mind more FE characters, but it seems unlikely to me.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Yeah, it would, except Ike (ee-Kay) doesn't rhyme with Like.
Ike is A-I-KU

Problems here are that Ike would be much more like Marth and Roy than someone like Lyndis. I'm not saying Lyn will take the place either though, but it's just a point. However, it is made mention many times that Ike has a unique swordplay to him that his father taught him. With this fact making him into a unique character will be fairly easy....especially taking into account things like his long attack range with Ragnell and his Aether ability.

Roy being a useless character in SoS. It's not really true. Roy is a good character. The only thing that makes him less useful is the fact he doesn't promote until the finale of the game. His growth isn't bad, and his stat caps are quite capable. Statistically speaking Roy is easily a match for the great and worshiped Hector from 7. It is true there are better characters than Roy, but his support, ability to dodge well and the fact that the crit success rate is based on hit makes him a useful unit. On top of this he loses no speed from the SoS as it's light.

Nephenee is an awesome unit. Give her the Knight Ward and watch her put most other units to shame. Only issue is her lack of supports. Her accent in english is annoying too.

Sothe was unpopular? A lot of that has to do with the fact he gets no promo in 9.

Lastly I'll state that I don't really like the idea of having Ephraim as a character in Brawl. Mainly because lances and spears are awkward weapons to wield. I'm sure they could overcome this as they have before....however the sheer length advantage he would have would put him in a difficult position in terms of balancing him out. Never know though...they made Marth work....kinda ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No Ike's name is pronounced like Like without the L as xian said... You know the cutscenes in PoR? The name Ike has been pronoucned as Like without the L there to so it IS pronounced that way. Ee-Kay sounds really... bad I think...

It isn't really much of a problem that Ike is alot like Marth and Roy, actually, it's only in his favor, since he could be the Luigified- replacement of Roy that way. But I think he's got enough potential to has his own moveset without the need of Luigifing Roy.

And yeah, Roy's not all that bad in FE: SoS, but not good either... Around the same as Eliwood in FE7 I say. But his performance in FE6 has nothing to do with Brawl though.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Haha Diddy I was agreeing about Ike being similar to Like - in Japanese it is A-I-KU and the word like would be LA-I-KU.

No performance in home game means nothing....otherwise Mewtwo would be much more useful in melee.

LemonManX

Smash Lord

I would much prefer to see Sigurd in SSBB instead of Ike anyway. Sigurd being on Sakurai's suggestion list give him a chance. But in generally, I think he's better than Ike. Plus the popularity of his particular Fire Emblem is also promising.

Especially if this rumour about Japanese VC exclusives hitting the English speaking world ends up coming true (*crosses fingers*)

D

Deleted member

Bah, it took me fifteen minutes to get to this page.

You are now all officialy owned!

Yes, Ike is the hero of the 3rd part of the game.

Dang it, I hate the new Ike. At least the younger guy looked like my identical twin (minus blue hair).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bah, it took me fifteen minutes to get to this page.

You are now all officialy owned!

Yes, Ike is the hero of the 3rd part of the game.

Dang it, I hate the new Ike. At least the younger guy looked like my identical twin (minus blue hair).
YEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!! Ike's back! Only ugly... but he's back nonetheless! :D And wtf happened to his hair? I liked it better when it was longer! Still good to see him back, however something worries me... If we have 3 main characters and only 44 Chapters or so, wouldn't the parts with each "party" be rather short?

D

Deleted member

No, there are four parts! First is the Dawn Group. Second is Crimea. Third is the Greil Mercenaries. Fourth is unknown.

So, two games? I could gamble all my possessions that he will be in Brawl.

Top Bottom