• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am honestly terrible at this game

McGoldenblade

Smash Rookie
NNID
seismitoadiskool
I've been playing for 2 years and I am still godawful at this game. I only have 34% win rate on For Glory which is terrible. I know win rates on For Glory mean nothing but it's the only thing I have to go off of. I even lose to players that I KNOW that are bad. Even if they are spamming smash attacks or rolling I still lose to them. And the decent players? I get 2 stocked all the goddamn time. I don't even want to try tournaments because I'm so bad that I feel like I'll get completely destoyed.

I have bad habits like always using getup attack, never spot dodging, always autopiloting, etc. I have pretty much the worst neutral ever. I try to look for openings in my opponents but they end up running in and overwhelming me and kill me before I even get to think. Can someone help me please?

I main Yoshi, and I use Robin, Bowser, and Ike for counterpicks.

D

Deleted member

• Well, for one thing, work on those bad habits. If you can identify them you should be able to control them.
  • Study what you can and be willing to put in a lot of time and effort into it as well. That's where guides, match-up videos, etc. come in. You can also visit the appropriate character forums for more advice.
  • As with any other fighting game, adapt to your opponent and change your playstyle where necessary.
  • Other than that, input lag in online play is known for ruining anyone's day.

If you don't want to try tournaments, that is understandable. I, a 56-year-old female smasher, stay away from competitive play myself but I also do not want to be known as a casual, so I practice advanced tech from time to time.

That said, losing a lot should give you a push to try harder. Don't wallow in self-defeat; just have fun with it and as long as you continue to put in an honest effort you will see improvement. If you focus overmuch on winning, there's no use continuing to play, right?

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
First, don't be too hard on yourself for losing online. It happens to everyone because of input lag that messes up a lot, so it is not the best method of determining your skills.

Second, I don't understand this feeling of "not going to tournaments because I would get destroyed". It's like saying "I don't wanna go to the gym because I would only lift 5 kg". Just go to tournaments and have fun! Ask for friendlies and know people you can play and give you advice on how to improve! There are many that can help you but it's up to you to go and ask.
Also, don't think that all the people that go to tournaments are better than you or amazing players, you can even win some sets if that gives you the incentive to go there :)

On top of this, what Shizuka said is correct. Just practice and correct your bad habits. Slow down your game (you have 6/5 minutes to play a game, I don't have to rush) and think actively about your actions. Save replays and analyze situations: why did I get punished? Can I use another move in that situation that gives higher reward/is safer?

That said, everyone has passed, is passing or will pass this phase and no one stops learning ever, really.
I'm doing this rn and I'm finally starting to see results. Good luck, mate! :)

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
If you want, I could play you sometime. I happen to know a bit about Yoshi, so I could help you with some character-specific things, too.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
It's slow going. You have to work on one aspect at a time. Starting with one area really helped me.

I focused on the ledge, what I did was work on my getup options and predictability, and started making notes on their preference and previous options.

Notice what they do when you are pressuring them. Do they reposition to relieve pressure? Shield? Are aggressive? Use that to your advantage.

Learn all your confirms, 50 50s, and make sure when you get an opening you can maximize damages. Then once you have this down, learn the character matchups. Luigi's nair might break a combo that works on others. Bayo may witch time you. Smash 4 is a game about playing not only a human player, but the character too. Many characters have a 'thing' you have to play around. And there are lots of viable characters you need to learn the mu on.

Learn to di right, and learn your opponents 50 50s now. Will falcon fthrow me to blast zone or dthrow upair? It's something you just need to know is there.

Finally, and this is the hardest, make sure each movement and attack has a purpose. Are you baiting? Poking for a reaction? Should you give up stage control for a ledge gaurd? Or wait for them to come back?

You learn each thing one at a time, and there is more. But as you improve each aspect eventually you will notice big improvements. Remember sometimes taking a break can do wonders for your mind and your gameplay, it lets you put things in perspective.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It'll be difficult to not repeat most that has already been said but I shall make an attempt:

Firstly, you should not put so much weight into your losses. When you do that you're only weighing yourself down and inadvertently holding yourself back in the process. We get that nobody likes to lose, especially the majority of the time. You're bound to feel terrible and frustrated that you are not doing well like you want; however you shouldn't view your losses in a negative way.

It may not be fun but it can be a necessary step to getting better. You have to know where you stand among others.

The only way to do that is attempting a tournament or locals.

Yes they are very scary. I personally have never been to one myself but from what I heard from many others who have it's very common to get absolutely thrashed during your first time. You're going to be nervous and under-preform because of that.

The whole point shouldn't be to win anyways, but to learn and get used to such a setting. You should take something from your losses rather than feeling defeated. Learn from your mistakes and get advice on how you can get better, and going to tournaments or locals would be the best way to do that. You can learn from other players and get helpful advice in real time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next you need to understand it's probably going to take a lot of time.

People don't become pros over night. They've studied the game inside and out. Every tech, every match up, everything about their characters, the stages, and they've put practice and care into every single aspect of this game. It's a rough and tiresome road and you bet it's going to infuriate you as you walk down it, but it's what you have to do if you want the improvement you're after.

At the same time you shouldn't feel so pressured into getting good.

There's a point where once you focus so much on improving the game suddenly starts becoming less fun for you. You get severely stressed and eventually may not even want to play anymore. Take a deep breath and try to work at it at your own pace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly it honestly sounds like you aren't just auto-piloting but just straight up panicking too much.

That can only be an assumption though, but to only do get-up attacks means you're either just button mashing or not thinking things through. The moment you panic during a match is when you'll start to lose. You should never let your opponent get you in such a state under any circumstance. Never rush into things without a plan or just do whatever you feel like. That's dumb.

You're going to become predictable that way, and when you become so predictable nothing will work on your opponent and you're going to feel trapped. Stay clam, breathe, and look closely at how your opponent is reacting to your play and use that against them.

In any case, I apologize that this post has gotten insanely long. Hopefully you read it despite it's length anyways. I'll be using a Spoiler Tab to add in some links that may help you out as well as anyone else who may need them. I hope this helps:

SmashBoards Character Fourms to seek character specific advice (for your main & other characters) :
Yoshi Forum
Robin Forum
Bowser Forum
Ike Forum

SmashBoards Match-making Thread for finding opponents:
The NNID Sharing Thread: Find Opponents Here!

SmashCords: A place to find Discord Groups for characters, states, & more:
SmashCords Sm4sh Groups

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Well, most people are terrible at this game.

mjwgamer805

Smash Rookie
3 things that helped me improve:
- go RANDOM against computers or people. Playing as random will force you to learn every character which is half the skill in smash.
- DASH away when you feel "in danger" it's the best way to break auto-roll habits.
- WAIT just a half second when on ledge. About 70% of the time players will try to make an edge guard read.

These things helped me improve immensely. And also remember- if it was easy to be great at this game EVERYONE would do it. It's not easy.

McGoldenblade

Smash Rookie
NNID
seismitoadiskool
Thanks, this is really good advice. I actually started going on the smash discords and I've improved a lot. I dropped Yoshi on favor of Robin because they fit my playstyle more and I also have been practicing a lot since then. I also got lessons from a coach and I've improved so much that I think I might actually get better for the first time in a long while.

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I'm really terrible at this game as well, but then again, I haven't even been playing Sm4sh much, if at all. I still only have Sm4sh on my 3DS, because I'm too poor to afford a Wii U, which means that I would have to use the 3DS controls rather than the GameCube controller. It's definitely possible to be very good with the 3DS controls, but I personally don't feel comfortable using it over the GC controller, the Wii U Pro Controller, or even the Wii U Gamepad. I've just played against the CPUs, since my internet for my 3DS isn't good to play online. If I my internet is strong enough, I could play For Glory and improve. Yes, it is restricted to Final Destination-like stages, but I'm completely fine with it. I play Corrin, since I really like his long-ranged, tipping smash, as well as his neutral special.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been playing for 2 years and I am still godawful at this game. I only have 34% win rate on For Glory which is terrible.
For Glory should be seen as a place to learn, not a place to win. Your mistake isn't that you've been playing for two years and you're not very good at Sm4sh. Your mistake is assuming that playing for two years means you should be good. Playing for a duration of time doesn't mean anything if you aren't adapting. You could pick up the game in a month and adapt better than someone playing for a year. That is what makes the difference.

I know win rates on For Glory mean nothing but it's the only thing I have to go off of. I even lose to players that I KNOW that are bad. Even if they are spamming smash attacks or rolling I still lose to them. And the decent players? I get 2 stocked all the goddamn time. I don't even want to try tournaments because I'm so bad that I feel like I'll get completely destoyed.
I have a challenge for you. Take your losses as opportunities for growth. You don't have to think of yourself as a loser. Instead, you can think of yourself in two other ways: a winner or a learner. You either win, or you learn why you didn't win. There's no such thing as losing.

I have bad habits like always using getup attack, never spot dodging, always autopiloting, etc. I have pretty much the worst neutral ever. I try to look for openings in my opponents but they end up running in and overwhelming me and kill me before I even get to think. Can someone help me please?
If you always use get-up attacks, stop. That is one of the unsafest ways of getting back onto the stage. Your opponent could just stand there and wait it out so your attack is blocked. Or your opponent could stand at a distance to give you the impression that your attack will reach him or her so that he or she can punish you for your mistake. If you don't dodge, it's time to start dodging. If you auto-pilot, start thinking while you're playing. People auto-pilot a lot. It's easier on the brain, it seems. If you consciously observe your opponent, you'll perform better.

I auto-pilot as well. Everyone does. When you're better at something, your brain doesn't have to think about it. You just do it on the go. So I would suggest you watch videos of what you're doing incorrectly and find ways on how you can do things differently in similar situations. Watch what your opponent is doing as well when you're watching replays. Play people and ask for advice. Also, please read the following below.

--------------------

"I've honed a single attack the same way you've honed your body." - Ryu to Zangief, SFV

I like this quote. It stood out to me when I saw it. Its applicability holds true in anything you want to improve on. The purpose of practice is to teach you how to perform better than you originally would have otherwise. If this means learning how to use z-air more effectively to space yourself at the appropriate time, or even trumping someone from the ledge and following it up with a back air, your brain will alter due to neuroplasticity. This means you might become frustrated at your inability now, but the more you do it, the more you'll become conscious about how it's executed, which will make you better.

Training yourself will not only help you perform better with your character. You will become more confident in using that character. Again, this can be applied to anything, even if you lack self-confidence in a general sense. The more you become confident in yourself, the better you'll be able to deal with stressors you might encounter. Teach yourself to practice for at least an hour on performing a combo, or utilizing certain attacks properly. As a Samus main, I am aware of Samus' jab and its inability to connect, due to its Sakurai angle. A simple jab suffices, allowing me to either walk away or perform a tilt. It can be as simple of a task as this that makes a difference.

Recently, I have learned from a Samus main who goes by the name "Dream" on Discord. In a direct message, he once told me, "I can sometimes hit you before you're able to act again, all because of that one habit." While I became aware of this, I didn't see it for truly what it was until I became cognizant in certain errors I was making. Playing against my brother, I utilized z-air, my jab, and tilts in a different way, making it difficult for my brother to approach me. Yet, he had to approach me because I didn't have to approach him. With jabs and tilts, I built a wall between him and myself when he would approach.

It's difficult for us to see beyond the present when we're struggling to execute a task others make seem so difficult. We see others performing these seemingly difficult techniques, so we wonder why we can't do the same. While I don't perform perfect pivoting during actual matches, I can do it to some degree. I'm inconsistent in that regard. I had been performing a particular kind of dash in which a dust cloud would appear. While I flicked my left analog stick back and forth to attempt a perfect pivot, the only thing that kept me from achieving it was performing this flicking at a faster rate. Achieving this would allow me to perfect pivot successfully. I've been able to perform this three consecutive times.

When you are trying to learn something new, you might become frustrated. When you become frustrated, take a break. Taking breaks actually helps you improve and provides better productivity. Not only that, should you achieve what you've been practicing, and even if you have only done it once, reward yourself with something like your favorite snack. You can associate these achievements with rewards. This, hopefully, will keep you motivated and feel confident in what you do.

Often, we want to succeed, and we want it at the present time. We see professionals performing so well, treating them as stars or as talented individuals, rather than understanding that they're like you and me. They have wins and losses, courage and fears. What they have achieved can be achieved by you and me. You just have to work at it, even if you have to work at it a little more than most. You must learn to believe that you can do anything anyone else can do. Perhaps they picked things up faster than you. We call that talent, but we don't know their background or what they've done to make picking up things seem so easy.

I've been using Zero Suit Samus for a while now. I dedicated myself to using her, although I don't use her as often as I do with Samus, let alone feel as confident with her as I do with Samus. Watching Nairo playing in tournaments from YouTube channels like VGBootCamp and 2GGaming, I felt I had to play exactly the way he did. I didn't see any Zero Suit Samus players use forward special, for example. This is a faulty way of thinking. When you decide to pick up a character, you may use what professional players use in terms of meta-game because it works. Yet, you needn't be a copy of whoever it is who inspires you. You are you, and you can make up your own style and play your own way without feeling ashamed like I did.

At the same time, the more you use a character, the more you'll find what works and what doesn't, which may lead you to play similarly to other players. This, it seems, helped Prince Ramen perform well using Palutena. He was aware of which attacks would be effective and which attacks would hinder him. You don't need to limit yourself in the options you wish to use. You just need to realize that certain attacks may not be as useful most of the time.

If you think you're good, move on. There's nothing to see here. If you know you can always improve, then your way of thinking will get you places. You're thinking to yourself that it's possible for you to grow and develop. You're not static. You're not going to let some plateau stop you. You're going to think positively and believe you can overcome any obstacle that stands in your way. What? You keep getting two-stocked? That's just a problem waiting to be addressed through your persistence and good strategies. You are using good strategies, are you not?

No one has ever reached the top without any help getting there. No one. Don't be afraid to lose. Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're concerned about losing, then you're not learning for the right reason. Someone who learns welcomes loss because it's not seen as failure, but rather a learning experience. Losing means learning new strategies. The winner, more often than not, doesn't focus on why he or she won, only that he or she got first. Take that opportunity to improve.

As a player, you should also set goals for yourself. Don't let the thought of having to work at something to be skilled stop you. Quitters don't win and winners don't quit. Keep at it, even if you're not good at it. Practice takes time and effort. If you don't want to put forth the time and effort, you'll remain stagnant while others improve. Be one who is dynamic, ever-changing, always improving. Be like water, which takes the shape of a volume. Do this in your matches against different opponents. Not everyone is the same. After all, no single medicine is used to remedy different illnesses. Why use the same methods on different people?

One final thing. You are allowed to rest. Don't think you must play for extended periods. If you're practicing a lot, take a break. Let your brain do its work by processing what you've been learning. Focus on other things. Perhaps you will come up with a new idea that you can try out. If it works, good. If not, it's no big deal. So, to wrap this all up, practice, watch videos of yourself to see what worked and what didn't, and of others to get ideas on what you can try. Be patient, take breaks, and don't worry about losing because you can keep trying. Set reasonable goals, and don't use the same tactics on different characters.

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
Glad to see you're improving. IMO improving comes from a willingness to learn. I watch a lot of smash VODs of professional matches and I try to learn what they do and the terminology of the commentators. If I see they're doing something that I never do, or avoiding stuff like rolling that I do too much, I'll take note of it and work on it.

I also agree that For Glory is a play to practice, not to win. FG matches don't mean anything, and it's a great place to practice new things that you're working on.

Top Bottom