• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am completely convinced that beating a decent Pikachu with Pit is impossible

MC=3

Smash Cadet
Or with any character other than Pikachu himself, for that matter. Want to attack him close range? Too bad, Fsmash and Thundershock will pull you away. Gonna fight him defensively? Too bad, for each roll you do he'll counter with a Dsmash. Want to attack from the air? Fair'd (Assuming he's not stupid enough to use Thunder) and U'aired to oblivion. Gonna arrow camp? Thundershock cancels out arrows.

kupo15

Smash Hero
i havn't played a good pika but you can reflect thunder making it a useless move. Yes they are really fast with the QAC but that means you have to work harder. I think ART and Mirror shield will be good and there recovery should be easy to gimp

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Now I believe, but correct me if i'm wrong here, that Thunder can be reflected. If so, it could be devastating to Pika's strategy. Try using pit's shield a lot against Pika and see how it turns out.

Edit:
i havn't played a good pika but you can reflect thunder making it a useless move. Yes they are really fast with the QAC but that means you have to work harder. I think ART and Mirror shield will be good and there recovery should be easy to gimp
Yeah what he said.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I really hate Pika. However here are some things u must know.

1: Reflect Thunder using Mirror Shield or Angel Ring
2: Do NOT glide towards a Pika for it would most likely result in getting hit by Thunder.
3: Mirror Shielding a Pika's Skull bash at long range is a bad idea, for Pika would usually fly over you.
4: Reflect the Thunder jolts at will, but dont do it all the time or the player may lead you into a trap.
5: A common approach that a Pika does is Fast falling F-air to D-smash, which is very annoying and cheap when spammed.
6: Beware of Pika's cheap little Chaingrabbing.
7: Pit's Part Chaingrabbing does not work much against Pika, especially if he knows how to DI outta it.
8: Pika is capable of crawling under straight arrows. His size makes it hard to hit him anyways.
9: Prior to number 2, avoid being above Pika at all times, and Thunder is that reason. Cheap way if you ask me.
10: Pika's Fsmash does outrange Pit's moves, including the Fsmash and D-tilt, but you can somehow counter it if you avoid it.

I'll probably find more infomation if i get it. Use what i got for now.

DiosDePyro

Smash Cadet
Couldn't you glide attack into angel ring as you pass over pika if you think he's going to thunder you?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Never thought of that. Everytime I glide I try to attack or fly under the stage. I guess I'm just reckless! :laugh:
Thanks again for guiding me. I will use this knowledge against those who oppose us angels! (Being dramatic is enjoyable sometimes).

Yataku

Smash Cadet
Well I main Pika and Pit so I feel like I know then both kinda well. You cant make that claim ^^; SOme people are just better then others. Maybe your pit is kinda weak? Not trying to insult, just saying.

Close range? just Acombo. Thunder cancels out arrows but they are faster. Sheild or Over B in the sky(Over B if they dont know it reflets) in the sky.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Perhaps every Pika I have faced really loves spamming the D-smash. They also enjoy Thunder and Thunder Jolt, but even if I'm exaggerating, about 60% of their attacks is the Dsmash. Very annoying. That was from my experience.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
Thunder is really counterable with Pit. I think even if he thunders right on top of you and you use Angel Ring, the Thunder will be reflected. I worry about Pika's aerial game and his F and Dsmash, though. However, you can try to space your aerials as you ahve the disjointed hitbox and Pikachu doesn't. This is key.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I love using angel ring and mirror shield to turn pikachu into pichu.

Mythol

Smash Cadet
It's not that hard. If you can DI out of pikas Dsmash then you are good (tap c stick and joystick to the bottom left) Undrs video shows that you can reflect pikas down b with angel ring. The rest is just stuff you need to learn how to counter.

DiosDePyro

Smash Cadet
The only thing I don't like is that I usually end up launching pika into my AR after a thunder, thus disrupting the knockback of the move =(

DiosDePyro

Smash Cadet
I beg to differ, mysticwolf ;)
Yeah, I have a tendency to leave my AR out too long, and its ending lag is absolutely horrible so that doesn't help much.

I demand the next hurdle to tackle be cancelling angel ring!!!!

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Alright well im too lazy to read through all of this but i think you will be surprised to find out that pit is pikas counter haha (if you look on counter charts) Plus oneof my smash buddies mains pika and is pretty good, used to beat me all the time

1. His Fsmash has some nasty start up time so just make sure you jab or something right before it hits which will stop it
2. Mirror shield or AR his down B's
3. Contrary to popular belief you CAN arrow camp pika even when hes thundershocking, Thunder shock goes up and down and will occasionally miss your arrow, so you can hit him with that and then mirrorshield his thundershock now he has two things coming at him, or if you hop then shoot arrows you can peg him everytime.
4. You have to be fairly decent at guiding your arrows in order to hit crawling pikas and or dashing pikas.
5. Dsmash will definitely destroy you, dont make it a habit to roll around him
6. When you are at high %, watch for his Usmash it comes out really fast and he can do it while sliding from a dash
7. Dont glide nearly as much as you would in a normal match, Pika ***** gliders

THis is actually one of my favorite matchups against my smash friends and dont worry you can definitely beat and pika cause pit gets rid of his bread and butter attack (down B)

IDK

Smash Lord
anyone with a reflector is a pika counter. check matchup thread. lucas has psi mag and has major adv over pika. fox falco and wolf all have theirs and it owns pika. you have TWO reflectors. uuuuuuseeeee themmmmmmmm.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
The Pikachu players I faced aren't a savage, lol.

Make another mental note to yourself. Try not to sidestep when you're near Pikachu since Pikachu's D-Smash punishes that as well as rolling.
try to smash di up out of pikachu's d-smash. With proper di you shouldn't take more then 4 damage and minimal knockback from the downsmash.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
haha wow you know he could of DI'd out of half of that, im sorry but pika does get ***** against reflectors... besides taht though pika is pretty awesome

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This makes me hate Pika even more, and I already hated him.
In my experience, the Pikas I faced never do that cheap chaingrabbing, well... except for about 2 Pikas in which one was much more better than the other, since that other one was a spammer like the rest.
I only faced one non-spamming Pika and it new how to chain... but that was like 2 or 3 months ago, when I was still learning a lot of Pit tech, like arrow looping.
I might not mind the CG but if it's the Pika's priority to do it everytime then I would hate it... actually i hate it period.

Reflectors pretty much are the advantage as many have said. It's as if Im tempted to use reflectors more than arrows... Sometimes I have.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
haha wow you know he could of DI'd out of half of that, im sorry but pika does get ***** against reflectors... besides taht though pika is pretty awesome
Play Fox for yourself against a Pikachu that knows what it's doing. It may look like you can DI out, but you can't until around 80%. Don't talk if you don't know what you're talking about.

Peeks is one of my regular opponents, and he plays a really good Pikachu. Yeah, if I make dumb mistakes and glide into a thunderbolt upon recovery, I get punished, but likewise if Pikachu isn't ready for his thunder to come back at him, Pika will be punished. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the most even (and enjoyable) matchups in brawl. Both characters have counters for the other's strategies.

Worried about the chaingrab? Have you ALREADY forgotten about WoI's shoving properties? You can gust out of a LOT of otherwise hazardous chaingrabs.

Admiral Bowser said:
...that cheap chaingrabbing,...
Even in the face of combos such Dedede's character specific infinite or partial infinite, or an IC chaingrab, or even MK's "infinite" disappearing act, I say calling anything 'cheap' is just a sign you're dumb enough to not get around it and would rather complain. Denying an opponent of a perfectly valid strategy because it works against you is as naive as it gets.

Guys, seriously, stop making idiots out of yourself. I want to instill fear when I pick Pit, not the idea that I'm a spammer and a whiner. Rep the community. =/

EDIT: Reworded for clarity.

Peeks

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Pika and reflectors... well, they haven't had the best history together. On the Pika boards, though, one time, someone brought up playing Fox, and everyone was like, "What!? You even PLAY that match-up?! As soon as you start, it's like, 'GG Fox!'" But Pit's reflectors... ughhhh... I play NxC often and now I refuse to thunder when he's above me. It's SO tempting when you know he's just a fragment of an inch from the ceiling and you won't thunder because of "Hi-Yi-Yi-YAHHHH" =( It kills me a little bit inside each time it happens...

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Play Fox for yourself against a Pikachu that knows what it's doing. It may look like you can DI out, but you can't until around 80%. Don't talk if you don't know what you're talking about.
haha wow you know i play a pika player fairly regularly as well and im sorry but besides the first few times when i hadnt face pikas before ive won everytime

why would you ever glide against a pika sorry but unless you are gonna catch him really unaware then you shouldnt be gliding and get hit by a thunder....

about the chain grabbing sorry i dont normally ever use fox cause one i hate him from melee (shiek main) and two he doesnt mesh well with me... but if you really cant avoid it until around 80% that sucks for fox, i was mostly talking about the upsmash finish anyways but it does look DI-able and i dont think it would work as well on pit because he falls different from fox and if all else fails you can try to WoI out of it.

oh and when you refer to guys down there whining about chaingrab, i have never whined about chaingrab, ever, and im assuming the guys was directed at me and admiral bowser, which is why im on the defenseive a bit here...... if the guys was referred to the pit community in general nvm this last little section

Pit vs Pika is a really fun matchup however i do think pit has the advantage in this one, as long as you know how to aim your arrows well and as long as you dont glid unless you are going under the stage, oh and dont roll around him

oh and im not hating on pika i actually really enjoy him in brawl its just against pit he doesnt do so well

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's not that I hate chaingrabbing (well actually I hate Falco's and the IC's the most), heck, Pit gots a minor one that works well against heavy chars, it's just that I dont do it on EVERY stock, and when I see some1 who tries to grab at the beginning of the match (or stock meaning at 0% damage), pretty much they would go for the CG, forcing me to stay airborne, or limit my approaches.
As for the "making idiot outta myself" thing... I admit that I fear CGs, and most likely they are going to use it on me every stock...
It's just as bad as facing a Pika that spams Thunder (which can be countered) and Dsmash (harder to counter, but sometimes predictable).
I fear a lot of things, but sometimes Im shy to tell what they are.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Decent Pikachu's are still easy to beat as Pit. You just have to be a good non-camper/non-spammer and go stab that Pikachu in the face.

In other words, fight close range.

Top Bottom