• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am a sad Yoshi.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I definitely understand that, but I've played against a really really good Yoshi player (one of P:M's tech wizards actually) who told me about how he mained Yoshi in 64, and while it was definitely a difficult fight, me with my so far very brief (though intense) training in competitive smash managed to beat his Yoshi convincingly the few times we played, so it seems like having any competitive interest would really kill your experience with the character, as it does with a lot of characters in melee. I definitely understand character allegiance, but it would kill me to not be able to compete at a reasonable level because of the constraints of my character.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
I do think it's pretty interesting that aMSa has the same gripe. Glad that got brought here in any case. Out of curiosity, how do you bear playing Yoshi in Melee? He's nowhere near the competitive meta and it just seems rough. The same is probably true for P:M but it just further cements that he's been a bad character for a while. I just don't get being a Yoshi main. It seems like it would be burdenous and sad.
Let me try to answer this the best way. Normally there's a bigger pride in playing the characters that you love instead of relieving yourself from character restraints to win. Yoshi has been a character that has the skills to get good placement (under heavily scrutinized needed techskill), but lacks a few qualities to make the jump to win bigger tournaments. The people that play to win are completely different than people that play to win with the pride of the character they like / enjoy even if it means hindering their chances to win.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I understand that, Melee is just very different than any other fighting game in terms of tiers. I've mained the definitive worst characters in SF3 and SF4 because I really liked their design, and did well by largely outplaying my opponents. Like it's feasible if I was good enough to take them to a high level, and people have. But in melee that's impossible for most of the cast. I know a lot of people don't shoot for the top but playing a character that you know couldn't compete at that level doesn't work for me. I want to imagine that if I shot for it, I could romp with the gods.

Top Bottom