• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am a sad Yoshi.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
Why am I a sad Yoshi when Yoshi is amazing?

I mained Yoshi in 64 and melee. I love the guy to death and he is by far my favorite character, or at least he was...

Yoshi's sound effects suck. It completely ruins the experience. I realize that they are the same ones that are in brawl, but that doesn't mean they don't suck. I don't want to feel like I am beating on someone with a chew toy.

Yoshi is still probably my best character, but I never feel good playing him anymore.

Its a tad bit more than just sounds effects though, I feel that there was something very important to Yoshi that was lost in Brawl/PM. In both 64 and melee, Yoshi feels 'hard'. Not hard to play, but physically. He was hard. Now he feels squishy :(

As of late I've been playing mostly Ivysaur and I love him. What a crazy fun kit!

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This really doesn't need a thread of it's own.
Regardless, they did add more of a stretchy, elastic feel to Yoshi in Brawl that was even translated into PM to some extent, he's not a very hard hitting character in the later games. (Dsmash is the best example here.)

Someone might create a voice mod for him in the future to make improvements, so you could look out for that.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Listen to music maybe? Iunno, I never listen to the game so I guess it's less of a problem for me.

I get you with the whole way yoshi feels off from his melee counterpart, but I'm willing to give that up for a much better character.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
Listen to music maybe? Iunno, I never listen to the game so I guess it's less of a problem for me.

I get you with the whole way yoshi feels off from his melee counterpart, but I'm willing to give that up for a much better character.
yeah, I like the way he plays now and I love yoshi which is why I made this thread. its something i care about a lot. Because PM updates, its possible for change.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
This is a dumb thing to be upset about. Like, if Yoshi sucked, go ahead and be upset, but this? Personally, I think it's hilarious that I get to beat up on people with a squishy, bright eyed, stuffed animal. Trying to make yoshi "more hardcore" seems like an exercise in futility. He's badass in his own way. If you want a manly man, use Captain Falcon or Snake. Yoshi is an adorable dinosaur that Mario rides around on like a horse. He's utterly ridiculous, let's not pretend he's not.

Last edited:

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
This is a dumb thing to be upset about. Like, if Yoshi sucked, go ahead and be upset, but this? Personally, I think it's hilarious that I get to beat up on people with a squishy, bright eyed, stuffed animal. Trying to make yoshi "more hardcore" seems like an exercise in futility. He's badass in his own way. If you want a manly man, use Captain Falcon or Snake. Yoshi is an adorable dinosaur that Mario rides around on like a horse. He's utterly ridiculous, let's not pretend he's not.
first let me establish that i am far from upset. i simply wanted to bring something to light that i feel, if changed, could be beneficial to the game. it wouldnt be a big deal if it were a few of his moves, but every single one makes the annoying squish sound whenever he attacks, and at the rate you attack it makes the sound about once every half second.

whether yoshi himself is a ridiculous concept or not has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

sound effects are a huge part of the feel of a character. image if fox made annoying squishy sounds everytime he attacked. noone would put up with it and it would be changed right away. but because yoshi is cute it gets over looked. but i like yoshi and it matters to me and i feel it deserve to be brought to attention.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
It would be changed on Fox because nobody would ever put that on fox. Fox is not squishy, so making squish sounds doesn't make sense. Yoshi's sounds make sense for Yoshi. There's nothing wrong with them, he's squishy. Maybe you, personally, don't like them, but that's like, your opinion man. This is not "a problem that has been overlooked, and needs to be fixed". It's a design choice that you don't happen to like. Luckily, this is a thing you can modify yourself if somebody ever decides to make a sound pack for Yoshi. Maybe you should ask around the Customized Content section. Someone there might be able to help you out.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
Yes i am stating my opinion. And I believe that my opinion is the right opinion.
From a design standpoint, even if you were going to squishy-yoshi, the sounds effects are terrible. They sort of work in Brawl because the game is slow. Melee is fast so the sounds come out more frequently, thus sound effects need to be more subtle.

TONS of characters were tweaked in pm to make them feel more like their melee counterparts. I don't see how this is any different.

I am sad to see that this forum is so hostile. Post an opinion, instead of a discussion you get a beating. I guess I'll be taking my leave.

Last edited:

Time2Play

Smash Cadet
I am sad to see that this forum is so hostile. Post an opinion, instead of a discussion you get a beating. I guess I'll be taking my leave.
And I believe that my opinion is the right opinion.
Dude, it's not about posting an opinion, its about the way you argue. There is no right opinion because it's the nature of an opinion to be subjective.
I actually like Yoshi's sounds because they fit. I have to agree with PrivateJoker here.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Melee enthusiasts will always find something to complain about with Project M, even to the point of complaining about sound effects because they're from Brawl. lmao

I saw a topic on reddit the other day where some Melee players won't play Project M at all because some sound effects are from Brawl, and it's like, really? remove yourself from society so no one else has to deal with you

Brawl sound effects are better than Melee's

wheeeeeeeeeeee *pours fuel on the flames*

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Unfortunately it is just a case of preference, and at this point I don't see the pmbr taking time and effort to adjust his sound effects. There are other things to work on that are more important... Like giving squirtle a sword or giving fox super armor, I mean, wouldn't you admit that squirtle wielding a sword is a little more important to his character than yoshi not being squishy? :) but I will admit that it would be cool to have yoshi's wooden shoes with that cluck cluck woody sound to 'em.

Last edited:

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
man this site is the worst.

Dude, it's not about posting an opinion, its about the way you argue. There is no right opinion because it's the nature of an opinion to be subjective.
I actually like Yoshi's sounds because they fit. I have to agree with PrivateJoker here.
of course there are examples of wrong opinions. black people are stupid. that is a wrong opinion. brawl is more competitive than melee. that is a wrong opinion.
of course if i am posting an opinion with the motion of change, i believe it is the right opinion.
and of course if someone's opinion is different than mine, i can respect that, (not something you guys can do apparently) but there is no reason for the hostility people are displaying.

Melee enthusiasts will always find something to complain about with Project M, even to the point of complaining about sound effects because they're from Brawl. lmao

I saw a topic on reddit the other day where some Melee players won't play Project M at all because some sound effects are from Brawl, and it's like, really? remove yourself from society so no one else has to deal with you

Brawl sound effects are better than Melee's

wheeeeeeeeeeee *pours fuel on the flames*
really? this guy is one of your senior forumists? how is this guy not seeing a time-ban for a statement like that? its not about brawls sound effects. i love pikachus, i love a lot of characters and don't mind most. the only one that bugs me is yoshis.

Unfortunately it is just a case of preference, and at this point I don't see the pmbr taking time and effort to adjust his sound effects. There are other things to work on that are more important... Like giving squirtle a sword or giving fox super armor, I mean, wouldn't you admit that squirtle wielding a sword is a little more important to his character than yoshi not being squishy? :) but I will admit that it would be cool to have yoshi's wooden shoes with that cluck cluck woody sound to 'em.
this is true, but they've taken the time to IMO do even less important things. melee skin for fox? talk about unimportant. its the epitome of something from melee being brought back for no reason.
or the yes you can do with falcons kneetaunt thing.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
really? this guy is one of your senior forumists? how is this guy not seeing a time-ban for a statement like that? its not about brawls sound effects. i love pikachus, i love a lot of characters and don't mind most. the only one that bugs me is yoshis.
let's be real mate

you've created a forum topic

complaining about sound effects

do you not see the problem here?

I mean, if you were complaining about how yoshi sucks or how his moveset is boring as **** then I could understand and I would probably agree with you

but nobody is going to take a thread like this seriously, because it's such a silly thing to complain about that they'll think you're trolling

melee's sound effects suck. heck, I don't even remember what most of them sound like because they're simply... not very rememberable tbqh.

didds

Smash Lord
this is true, but they've taken the time to IMO do even less important things. melee skin for fox? talk about unimportant. its the epitome of something from melee being brought back for no reason.
or the yes you can do with falcons kneetaunt thing.
Supply and demand I guess? I'll be honest that I'm pretty neutral about the whole issue. It all comes down to opinion. For some, getting the classic melee skin for fox was kind of a big deal and the brawl model bugged them. Is this more important than reworking yoshi's sound affects? Depends on what you care about. I hope this isn't make or break for if you'll play yoshi though because I'm sure it won't be changed, and it would be a shame to lose a fellow yoshi over it. Again, I'm saying it from the point of view of someone who is okay with the difference. I'm not you, so I really could never understand how much of an annoyance it may be for you. Keep reppin Yoshi, a squishy yoshi still deserves love.

Last edited:

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
By squishy I thought you meant he feels less heavy, swift, stuff like that than in melee. I'm not sure how true that is or not, but yoshi kind of feels like that to me. Listened to a lot of his sound affects, and I don't really see- er- hear the problem there, they seem fine.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
let's be real mate

you've created a forum topic

complaining about sound effects

do you not see the problem here?

I mean, if you were complaining about how yoshi sucks or how his moveset is boring as **** then I could understand and I would probably agree with you

but nobody is going to take a thread like this seriously, because it's such a silly thing to complain about that they'll think you're trolling

melee's sound effects suck. heck, I don't even remember what most of them sound like because they're simply... not very rememberable tbqh.
not rememberable is pretty much the ideal situation for most attack sound effects.

Dude, grow up. People disagreeing with your opinion =/= hostility. We just don't agree with you.
whether or not you intended it or not your comments definitely feel hostile, at least to me as a newcomer to this site, i've been around to a lot of sites and i think i can tell when someone writes something with a demeaning/condescending tone. but i could i'll give you the benefit of doubt of the internet.
but at the very least areodome is completely out of line here.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
Supply and demand I guess? I'll be honest that I'm pretty neutral about the whole issue. It all comes down to opinion. For some, getting the classic melee skin for fox was kind of a big deal and the brawl model bugged them. Is this more important than reworking yoshi's sound affects? Depends on what you care about. I hope this isn't make or break for if you'll play yoshi though because I'm sure it won't be changed, and it would be a shame to lose a fellow yoshi over it. Again, I'm saying it from the point of view of someone who is okay with the difference. I'm not you, so I really could never understand how much of an annoyance it may be for you. Keep reppin Yoshi, a squishy yoshi still deserves love.
yeah i'll probably still play yoshi from time to time, but sadly not as my main. as for PM. i personally think its reached a stage where adding and fixing things aren't so much in time and labor constraint phase so much as a quality control phase. i think that from here on out were going to be seeing mostly minor tweaks except for the few rare cases, which is why i think that there is time and effort that could be devoted to consider something like this. sure maybe its not the right choice, but i felt it was better for me to bring it up than to not. its better to hear the voices of many than few.

Sorry, I didn't mean specifically you.

I meant these people: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1zy98u/a_question_to_the_pmbr/
sorry then. i guess i implied too much.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's all g man, I don't really want you to have a negative outlook on the site in general and I'm glad we could sort that small misunderstanding out!

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Such escalation. Honestly, I'm a Yoshi player from melee to Pm, and I'm fine with the sounds. :p

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
Just gonna say that I was watching aMSa on westballz stream where someone in the chat asked him why he doesn't play Yoshi in PM and he answered that he 1) doesn't like the egg roll mechanic. (which I can agree with) and 2) he doesn't like Yoshi's sounds.

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's fine to not like the sound effects, but it seems like they're universally liked enough for it to be something that probably won't be changed. And as a rule of thumb for forums, you'll do better and get farther if you take a lot of **** people give you on the cheek. Antagonizing top players in a forum setting isn't smart, just for their ability to write you off to the whole community.

If you want to grow into this community you just have to approach it as you would anything else. Spend a lot of time early on listening. Don't post without extensive knowledge. Be relaxed with conversations. You can make friends with most people who first appear as hostile. I know. That's happened a lot to me. And just be receptive to the forum setting.

Or you could be like those social thread buttheads and get ninety-milion-hundred-fifty-thousand-hundred posts in a month talking about nothing substantial en masse.

don't do that.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
I don't really care about becoming 'part of the community'. I came here to post a concern about a character that I love.

I dropped playing PM to go back to melee because I just want to play Yoshi.

I just wanted to post that as a 'hey I'm not the only one who feels this way' because everyone was treating me like I was crazy for feeling this way.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Well in that case, what are you doin here ya goofer? If you want to play melee, go to those forums. These ones are in the Project M section, it even tells you so at the top and bottom of the page.

GeZ

Smash Lord
But as you said, you don't care about becoming a part of the community, and you switched to melee cause you want how Yoshi is in that, so you're just coming to the P:M forums to grips about a feature in a game you don't play. Seems like a strange decision.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
I still play PM occasionally, I just don't play Yoshi. I just opt for melee most of the time.

And just because I have little interest in the community doesn't mean I can't enjoy Smash.

I also thought that as this is the PM > Yoshi forum, that it would be interested to hear what aMSa thinks about PM Yoshi and why he doesn't play Yoshi.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I do think it's pretty interesting that aMSa has the same gripe. Glad that got brought here in any case. Out of curiosity, how do you bear playing Yoshi in Melee? He's nowhere near the competitive meta and it just seems rough. The same is probably true for P:M but it just further cements that he's been a bad character for a while. I just don't get being a Yoshi main. It seems like it would be burdenous and sad.

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
I didn't pick Yoshi because I wanted to play the top tier character.

Actually I picked up Yoshi in 64 switching from Pikachu(because too many of my friends played pikachu) for the simple reason that, to me, he appeared to be the most difficult character. Naturally, it didn't take long for me to fall in love with Yoshi as a character after that. I continued to play him in melee.

Yoshi is simply the character that resonates with me the most. I think playing the character you love is more important than playing the best characters to win. If I didn't enjoy playing Yoshi so much, I don't think I would still be playing the same game for 13 years.

Top Bottom