• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I’m almost certain Ness will get nerfed next patch.

Ness Lee

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helpimkidnapped1
He just feels too good. He’s everything he was in smash 4, but better. Down smash is like an easy kill at ledge, up air got a huge buff, and dair is a legit spike now, like a slightly less powerful Falcon dair. Not to mention PSI magnet has a hitbox and is faster... he honestly feels OP to me.

Uffe

Smash Hero
He had a better uair in Sm4sh. It covered horizontal range really good. It was also safe against shields, making it difficult for the opponent to just shield grab him. His uair got a buff recently, but only for even lesser landing lag, which honestly, I don't really see the difference. It's not like they gave his uair better horizontal range or made it difficult for people to fall out of. His dair was already good, and I guess they made it better now. D-smash doesn't always connect when hanging off the ledge or close to the ledge. Some characters have recoveries that keep them from getting hit by the attack, and some characters like Mario, Link, Marth, Lucina, Roy, and some others hit Ness before connecting to the ledge, preventing them from being flung away. PSI Magnet feels like it has a slightly slower start up compared to what it was in Sm4sh.

I think two buffs could really help him out. A bit of a horizontal hitbox on his u-tilt since it whiffs at times, and a better grab range. He's not OP. He may be good, but I don't think he'll be getting nerfed the next time around. People were complaining about how difficult it was to escape PK Fire, but people got wise and learned. Nobody as far as I'm aware is complaining about Ness, so Sakurai or whoever probably aren't even looking at him.

link2702

Smash Champion
His dsmash and usmash are insane ledge guarding tools, so while I don’t really feel like he needs a nerf, i do feel it’s inevitable. I also feel pk fire might get one as well, as it’s definitely far more difficult to get out of and easier to just spam.

I don’t want him to get one, so don’t think this is me supporting one, just based on what Nintendo did this last patch makes me feel they’re going after “annoying” characters and moves for the average player to deal with, even if the characters in question aren’t actually overpowered.

Ness Lee

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helpimkidnapped1
He had a better uair in Sm4sh. It covered horizontal range really good. It was also safe against shields, making it difficult for the opponent to just shield grab him. His uair got a buff recently, but only for even lesser landing lag, which honestly, I don't really see the difference. It's not like they gave his uair better horizontal range or made it difficult for people to fall out of. His dair was already good, and I guess they made it better now. D-smash doesn't always connect when hanging off the ledge or close to the ledge. Some characters have recoveries that keep them from getting hit by the attack, and some characters like Mario, Link, Marth, Lucina, Roy, and some others hit Ness before connecting to the ledge, preventing them from being flung away. PSI Magnet feels like it has a slightly slower start up compared to what it was in Sm4sh.

I think two buffs could really help him out. A bit of a horizontal hitbox on his u-tilt since it whiffs at times, and a better grab range. He's not OP. He may be good, but I don't think he'll be getting nerfed the next time around. People were complaining about how difficult it was to escape PK Fire, but people got wise and learned. Nobody as far as I'm aware is complaining about Ness, so Sakurai or whoever probably aren't even looking at him.
I really hope you’re right about him not getting nerfed. But I disagree. I think dair is absolutely better than it was in 4. I’ve probably gotten more spikes with it in a week than I have in my entire time playing smash 4. Also, I’m not exactly sure of the frame data, but PSI magnet definitely feels all around faster to me. Ness feels great in this game.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I really hope you’re right about him not getting nerfed. But I disagree. I think dair is absolutely better than it was in 4. I’ve probably gotten more spikes with it in a week than I have in my entire time playing smash 4. Also, I’m not exactly sure of the frame data, but PSI magnet definitely feels all around faster to me. Ness feels great in this game.
Of course dair is better than it was in Sm4sh. I thought you were talking about his current one versus pre-patch. PSI Magnet feels slower to me because despite me knowing that my opponent is going to fire projectiles, I somehow manage to fail bringing it out before the projectile. Same with his f-smash. I used to be able to swing projectile back the moment it came at me. Now it's like he's swinging a two handed sword.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
PSI Magnet feels slower to me because despite me knowing that my opponent is going to fire projectiles, I somehow manage to fail bringing it out before the projectile. Same with his f-smash. I used to be able to swing projectile back the moment it came at me. Now it's like he's swinging a two handed sword.
Fsmash comes out just as fast, and the reflect hitbox still comes out a few frames before the actual swing, as well. I'm not 100% certain the timing in Smash 4, but PSI magnet is active frame 7, which is super quick.

He had a better uair in Sm4sh. It covered horizontal range really good. It was also safe against shields, making it difficult for the opponent to just shield grab him. His uair got a buff recently, but only for even lesser landing lag, which honestly, I don't really see the difference. It's not like they gave his uair better horizontal range or made it difficult for people to fall out of.
It didn't get less landing lag, it just got a better autocancel window (not that it needed it since it already has basically no cooldown). The patch notes have a very obtuse lexicon.

Personally, I disagree that it's worse. When I first saw the new uair, I was convinced it would be strictly worse but once I actually started using it, I never looked back. It has a number of advantages over the old one. It does more damage when all the hits connect, has less cooldown, stays out longer, and can true confirm into grab or utilt with a drag down setup.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Doubt it. Ness is a good character (high tier not top tier) with phenomenal results but there’s nothing broken in his kit. Characrers like Wolf, Lucina, and Pichu are higher up on the nerf list. I think they intended for Ness’s dsmash and usmash to work like that or else they would’ve nerfed it in the first patch. PK Fire isn’t broken and there’s no reason to nerf it. Plus Ness doesn’t have a huge player base online and people don’t generally complain about him outside the odd PK Fire complaint

If they were to nerf anything PK Thunder is the only move that makes sense to nerf. Just because he’s a really good character doesn’t mean he’ll get nerfed. Especially looking at the trends from the first patch I don’t think they’re gonna be super nerf happy this time around

I don’t think just because he feels really good and works really well with the physics of this game he’ll get nerfed. There are probably at least 10 characters higher on the nerf list than him. Don’t get me wrong he’s really good but I think they would’ve nerfed his dsmash and usmash ledgegaurding in the first patch if they didn’t intend for it to work like that. Neither are polarizing moves. I think our boy is safe

Last edited:
Top Bottom