• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule Warriors: New Trailers, Characters, and Details!

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Co-written by Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa

The Legend of Zelda series has had quite a few spin-offs in its past, but we’ve never seen something quite as exciting as Hyrule Warriors. Developed by Omega Force and Team Ninja, Hyrule Warriors is a hack and slash game with many gameplay nods to the Dynasty Warriors series. Since E3 just last month, a large amount of information has flooded the internet, making the hype levels rise for this new direction of the Legend of Zelda franchise.

The Hyrule Warriors trailer from E3 2014.

The primary focus in Hyrule Warriors’ gameplay is using a wide array weapons, such as swords and bombs, in melee combat with hundreds of generic baddies, as well as a large cast of villains from across the Legend of Zelda spectrum. Hyrule Warriors borrows many mechanics and tropes from the Legend of Zelda series, such as enemy targeting, Link's signature attacks, and large item chests. Hyrule Warriors also contains bosses that require the player to discover and exploit their weaknesses before they can be harmed, much like a traditional Zelda boss.

However, for as much as it borrows from The Legend of Zelda, this new entry in the Zelda universe borrows even more heavily from Dynasty Warriors. The emphasis on combat is still very much apparent. The flow of battle has a distinct Dynasty Warriors feel, and fans of the series will feel completely at home, slicing away at hordes of enemies and using flashy special moves to do away with their foes. Hyrule Warriors also features a special feature for multiplayer. When playing cooperatively with a friend, instead of normal Dynasty Warriors split screen, one player will be able to use the TV Screen while the other uses the Wii U Gamepad.

The official box art for Hyrule Warriors

Perhaps the most notable thing about Hyrule Warriors is the wide variety of characters to choose from. It seems like Nintendo and their developers are trying hard to appeal to the fans of the franchise, judging by the size of this ever-growing roster of Legend of Zelda faces (along with some new faces as well). Each character has their own individual set of weapons and characteristics that the player can level up in RPG fashion.

The official character trailer for Link with the Hylian Sword in Hyrule Warriors

Of course, we can’t have a Legend of Zelda game without our main protagonist and hero, Link. Surprisingly, Link fights with the Hylian Sword, rather than the Master Sword. Much of his combat is taken from his other appearances, such as his trademark spin attack. He also has his finishing blow move as seen in both Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Link’s second trailer for Hyrule Warriors, featuring the Magic Rod.

The Magic Rod from the original Legend of Zelda game for the NES makes its very first comeback out of the sixth dungeon since 1986. It seems to have fire properties like it did in the original game after you update the Magic Rod with the Book of Magic. So far, Link is the only character to feature more than one weapon trailer, though he’s not the only character to feature more than one weapon!

Zelda also uses the Wind Waker, as well as the Rapier!

Currently, there is no video footage of Zelda using the Wind Waker, but it looks like it controls the wind, as it should!

The trailer for Princess Zelda and the Rapier in Hyrule Warriors

Zelda’s Rapier has such an abundance of styles that takes many elements from many of her appearances (especially Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess). The Rapier actually has the ability to transform into a bow that fires Light Arrows. The trailer actually features it quite a lot, and it seems to take a lot of traits from Zelda’s Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Not only that, but what looks like Nayru’s Love, Farore’s Wind, and Din’s Fire is used as a kind of tri-attack. Also, look closely at around the 30 second mark: Zelda uses a sort of Light “Needle” attack, perhaps in light of her alter ego in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

The Hyrule Warriors trailer for Impa showing off her mighty Giant Blade

For the first time in the history of the Legend of Zelda series, Impa appears as a playable character. Taking her design from the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Impa has appeared in almost every Legend of Zelda game to date as Princess Zelda’s guide, guardian, and mentor. This member of the Sheikah Tribe wields a never-before-seen weapon, the Giant Blade. It seems to be a very powerful weapon with a very wide range. Who knows? We may be able to expect some moves borrowed from Sheik in the Super Smash Bros. series -- that is if we don’t get Sheik as a playable character!

Midna’s official character trailer for Hyrule Warriors featuring her weapon of choice, a Shackle.

Probably one of the most popular of Link’s sidekicks, Midna, the Twilight Princess, makes her playable debut. Now, it is uncertain just what Midna’s “Shackle” is. Is it her hair? Many believe Shackle is the name of the wolf creatures she rides. No one really knows, but her attacks are really cool, nonetheless. She uses her Dark Energy Attack from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, as well.

Agitha and her parasol’s trailer for Hyrule Warriors

Perhaps the most obscure addition to the cast, Agitha from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess makes her first appearance outside of the game. In Twilight Princess, Agitha collected bugs that you caught around Hyrule, and that definitely shows in Hyrule Warriors. On top of her parasol melee weapon, she can also use it to summon various bugs, such as giant stag beetles and butterflies, to attack a large portion of enemies. She can also sprout butterfly wings herself to create gusts of wind that knock foes back. Agitha, though a little weird, definitely seems like a solid, creative, and fun addition to the game.

The Hyrule Warriors trailer for Lana and her Book of Sorcery.

Lana is a completely new character created specifically for Hyrule Warriors. Lana doesn’t seem to fit in much with the rest of the cast; she looks like she jumped out of a JRPG. Her main form of combat with the Book of Sorcery is a spell that brings up various walls and blocks that she can leap off of and attack with. She also uses quite a bit of electric attacks. Not much is really know about Lana, and Nintendo is definitely keeping things interesting by keeping her a mystery. She apparently has some kind of important role: She made it onto the official box art!

Fi also makes a playable appearance. Many pictures of Skyloft and various other Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword cameos and appearances, such as Ghirahim and the Sealed Grounds, can be found on the Hyrule Warriors Official Facebook page.

Alternate Costumes confirmed!

Nintendo is really going all out with the fan service in this game. Link and Zelda both are getting alternate costumes for their Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess appearances. Hopefully this means that other character will also get alternate costumes! Twilight Princess True Form Midna, anyone?

Hyrule Warriors is being developed by Omega Force, Team Ninja, and Nintendo SPD (Software Planning and Development) and published by Tecmo Koei and Nintendo. Longtime developers of the Dynasty Warriors series, Hisahi Koinuma and Yosuke Hayashi, are producing this game along with Legend of Zelda director Eiji Aonuma. Aonuma has been quoted many times as saying he would like to see the Zelda franchise break away from many of its older traditions - surely Hyrule Warriors is one such way of doing just that.

While Omega Force and Nintendo are the primary developers for this title, Team Ninja is helping with one-on-one combat.

The game will be released earlier in Japan with two editions that contains a copy of the game, an art book, a triforce shaped clock, and two extra costumes for the character. The second special edition, called the "Treasure Box", adds a third costume, a scarf resembling Link's in the game and a miniature treasure chest accessory.

Hyrule Warriors will be out in 2014. Japan will recieve the game first on August 14th, with Europe and North America's release dates following closely behind on September 19th and 26th, respectively.

iDOWN is a writer and gamer looking for a big boy job with Nintendo. Follow him on his Twitter, @PlayerOneiDOWN.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
"A WIDE VARIETY OF ZELDA UNIVERSE CHARACTERS!"

Actually Link and a bunch of girls. WHY ARE THERE NO GUY CHARACTERS!!!
WHAT ABOUT TINGLE!?!
WHAT ABOUT SKULL KID!?!
WHAT ABOUT VAATI!?! Hopefully he will at leat be a villain!

I wanted the Hero of Winds to be playable, in a slightly more realistic style.

But that's down the drain with Zelda somehow having the Wind Waker.
THOUGH SOMEHOW THEY'LL THROW IN SEXY TETRA!

Oh well.
I'll just be hoping for a Villains Mode. That way I can play as Ghirahim and Ganondorf. And maybe even Vaati.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Ihavr only played twilight princess, so my knowledge of the series is limited, but Id love to see a Toon Link costume (or seperate char), Yeto, The Postman, Tingle, Classic Link costume and the ball and chain.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This game looks terrible, not the graphics, the graphics are gorgeous, but there are so many enemies on screen that the system can't even handle it, they just pop in out of nowhere. The effect would be less noticeable if they based the level design on a dungeon, but since alot of the action takes place in wide open spaces, the short draw distance for the enemies is really bad. Like you're running forward into a totally empty area, and suddenly an army of 300 spawns 5 feet in front of you.

This could be forgiven if the gameplay was fun, but based off of every other Warriors game, you'll just be mashing Y over and over again. At least in the other Warriors games, ya had a large cast of characters to choose from, so you could play the whole game with a different character on each stage, each with their own unique Y button mash combo, but it doesn't look like the roster will be very big in this game.
It looks like you'll be playing as the same 10 or so characters, but you can equip a few different weapons for each of them. For example, Link can use his sword, or the fire rod, but you don't seem to be able to switch what equipment you're using mid battle.

Even I gotta admit though, pulling the Majora Moon down to crush the enemies was f#@$#@# epic. The fanservice is over the top.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
seems good but but...where is the men?

too much female character , i love girls! but... i hate playing with female character, don't know why :(

Last edited:

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I probably won't buy this until it's cheap at a used game store. I don't want to spend $60 on this.

Raykushi

Smash Cadet
They say it's the year of Luigi but it's actually the year of ladies. Ladies in smash, hyrule warriors, so many ladies. Bada ba ba baaa I'm luvin it

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I like the question mark in "The Princess of Insects?"

I like all the girls here actually, really cool and pretty but not overly sexual. There really should be another guy or two though. Ganon as a bonus character or something(If these kinds of games do that?) would be ideal <3 But I'm biased.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
There really only needs 3 male characters. Link, Linebeck and Groose
I will actually take that.
I'd love to see that little coward Lineback fight an army.

Though I'd be better with Tingle and/or Skull Kid too.

Wait a minute, if Tingle is in, which I really think he will, this would be the first time we see a realistic Tingle! He was in Majora's Mask, but we couldn't really see his face because of low-resolution, and then only the Toon Games.
He'd probably be short with a big gut, like in Majora.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I will actually take that.
I'd love to see that little coward Lineback fight an army.

Though I'd be better with Tingle and/or Skull Kid too.

Wait a minute, if Tingle is in, which I really think he will, this would be the first time we see a realistic Tingle! He was in Majora's Mask, but we couldn't really see his face because of low-resolution, and then only the Toon Games.
He'd probably be short with a big gut, like in Majora.
I can only imagine what Tingle would look like and do.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ihavr only played twilight princess, so my knowledge of the series is limited, but Id love to see a Toon Link costume (or seperate char), Yeto, The Postman, Tingle, Classic Link costume and the ball and chain.
The Ball and Chain is confirmed, actually.

And I could see a classic Link costume, but I can't really picture a tall Toon Link costume.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Hash and slash"

Wasn't aware Snoop Dogg was making this game. Will he be a self inserted playable guest?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Agitha is the worst character choice of all time.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
I will never understand how people are genuinely excited for this knowing it's Dynasty Warriors reskinned.

That mindnumbingly repetitive game with its 30+ iterations.
But I dont expect you to believe me, look up ANY review from a credible Game site and see how ****ty it is.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
How so? she is A Unique character Isn't she? I mean she has a unique moveset and all so I don't see what's wrong with her its not like Smash Where people get extremely annoyed about Characters Dynasty Warriors usually has a huge roster of characters Spanning to lots of culture and Lore The latest entry had about 78 characters to play as all of them unique and fun Zelda has tonnes of Lore so it would be extremely easy to get your favourite character in the game its like a huge Love Letter to all Zelda Fans!:pikachu:
Plus I really want the old man from the original Zelda to be playable :secretkpop:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
My gosh. Hyrule warriors, you have soo many females playable.

Of course I'll want to play link, but I'm looking forward to trying out Midna..... maybe Impa too, they designed her pretty well for this game.. Also, Ike in Brawl, and Garen from LoL have warmed me up to heavy sword users. However Impa's voice sounds so annoying in the trailer (personal preference, I know some people that would like this style of voice).

As for the others:

Agitha, bugs are awesome, but you are too... tooo..... stereotypical princessy for me to make me want to play you.

Zelda's attacks look nice, but she looks like one of the clunkier characters in the game, and her voice sounds a little annoying to me.

While Lana's book blocks look handy gameplay-wise, I'm just not a fan of her character.

Fi I just don't like overall. Both gameplay-wise and visually.

Still hoping to be able to play as Vaati and Zant in this game.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
[quote=''That mindnumbingly repetitive game with its 30+ iterations. [/quote]
Oh like Zelda And Metroid:secretkpop:

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Fi's Trailer
~snip~
Why are you posting a copy/past of the video ripped from the official KoeiTecmo channel? If your going to post a video, at least post one from an official source.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Yet it's all going to be wasted on repetitive Dynasty Warriors gameplay.
How do you play RPGs then? Or any PvE-based games while you're at it.

Could be worse. We would have another "Link" that behaves similar as the original one. Like a certain game series we know and love.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Why are you posting a copy/past of the video ripped from the official KoeiTecmo channel? If your going to post a video, at least post one from an official source.

Sorry if I sound rude but 1 What's the difference? and 2 I wasn't looking at the Channel I just knew there was one that's all
Also how isn't it official they are working on the game aren't they?

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Sorry if I sound rude but 1 What's the difference? and 2 I wasn't looking at the Channel I just knew there was one that's all
Also how isn't it official they are working on the game aren't they?
Because its always better to Link back to the original source as they are the ones who are both making the game, and made the video. People who rip videos from other accounts, and post it on theirs, are just doing it for the page views.

Give credit to the people who made the video, not to the people who plagiarized it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom