• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How you start out in a match?

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
Example me: I start out by plucking pikmins and go after them and spam Side B. And when i get close to them i just grab or do smashes or air attacks

What about your olimar?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I start out by plucking pikmins and go after them and spam Side B. And when i get close to them i just grab or do smashes or air attacks

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I start out by plucking pikmins and go after them and spam Side B. And when i get close to them i just grab or do smashes or air attacks

asob4

Smash Champion
hmmm i've seen this kinda thing so many times before

mikeHAZE went 0-2 in a single elimination tournament

-cough-

asob4

Smash Champion
skank is my tag, i made this account before i decided on a tag lulz

it's not what you think it is >_>

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Skank: One who is disgustingly foul or filthy and often considered sexually promiscuous. Used especially of a woman or girl.

o_o

asob4

Smash Champion
see, not what you think

skank: type of dance for ska music. involves one kicking their legs out and moving their arms in a running fashion

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
see, not what you think

skank: type of dance for ska music. involves one kicking their legs out and moving their arms in a running fashion
Also, it becomes more effective if you move out of place while doing this.

EDIT)) Also you can use it by calling it 'Skanking'

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I start out by plucking pikmins and go after them and spam Side B. And when i get close to them i just grab or do smashes or air attacks'

He doesn't have a tornado >.<

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
start out by charging the enemy with a grab to that little combo you alls know, try to get a little juggling then once they are low to ground pluck pikmin, it a surprising start because NO ONE expects it unless they know your style, if the grab misses i either neutral a till there away or d tilt to more tilt combos the run away pluck, charge again

Zori

Smash Champion
Only person who did not do pikmin pluck to side b was emmy.

It was a match on battlefield as soon as it started she did a lagless pikmin pluck on the first ledge and then another on the edge (5 pikmin hax!). There for avoided my side b.

***** by a girl :'(.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
On battlefield sometimes I drop down and do a quick pikmin chain from below them. I dunno. I do the same things ya'll do. =\

P.S. Edit. The Olimar boards have become a strange place. *Looks at above post*

0_o

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I'm sure we all do slightly different things.
I mean, if the first pikmin in my line is white, I'll go and start fighting them with just three pikmin. All you need is one to fight really anyway.

If it's blue to white I downthrow to fb.

Generic stuff. It's like how falcos can either stand and blaster or SH and blaster.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace

It was a match on battlefield as soon as it started she did a lagless pikmin pluck on the first ledge and then another on the edge (5 pikmin hax!). There for avoided my side b.

Woah woah woah hang on...Emmy is a SHE? :veryconfu

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I will do any number of things, depending on if I have played a person before and what character they have chosen. Generally, however, I will do one of three things:

If I get a good starting coloration (red blue purple, for instance) on a smaller stage, I'll probably just charge. If this is your first time doing this on a small stage, your opponent will normally be grabbed and ready to air combo/CG before they even know what's hit them.

If I get a less strong initial lineup (basically, if I have white pikmin in the first three), and I'm on a small stage, I'll probably pull two pikmin and start either throwing or fighting for a grab.

On larger stages, I'll probably pull until I have five or six pikmin and start out by throwing to coax them into a grabable situation. Against slower characters, I always pull out three pikmin and start throwing.

If I have a opponent who spams at startup (Pit, Falco, Fox, Wolf, etc.) I will typically pull out one pikmin, spot dodge spam, pull > spot doge > pull, then start my own spam : )

Basically, what you do at startup should be dictated by your surroundings and the speed with which your opponent can engage you. Also, never startup the same way twice against the same opponent in the first two matches, that way, they wont know what to expect from you.

You all know my style, Whites are tossed at my enemies and Purples are hurled off the ledge to die.
Why do you kill Purples?! That makes me sad... You don't kill them all the time, do you? They're so useful at later percents.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Depends on what my opponent is actually. Sometimes I don't even pluck Pikmin, but I always Whistle my line-up unless I'm already happy with the colors I have. You all know my style, Whites are tossed at my enemies and Purples are hurled off the ledge to die.
You really hate Purple Pikmin, don't ya? :bee:

My gameplay is slightly similar to yours. It depends on my opponent and the stage.
For example, controlling the center of the stage in BF is more important than plucking all six Pikmin.

If my opponent uses a non-projectile character, I tend to Side-B more often.
If my opponent uses a projectile character, I assess if I can outcamp them.
If I cannot, then I tend to make use of the stage. Try and force them up on platforms. If there are no platforms (FD), then I go in for close-combat.

P.S. Is Emmy a chick?

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
of course

i'm very much into ska and punk music. i go to punk and ska shows quite often. at said shows, i can usually be found in the circle pit skanking the night away :D
I really need to add some Ska music to my library.

Have any artists to recommend?

***** by a girl? In smash? Sounds smexy ; ). Does this Emmy have any vids up? She sounds like an interesting Olimar.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Depends on what my opponent is actually. Sometimes I don't even pluck Pikmin, but I always Whistle my line-up unless I'm already happy with the colors I have. You all know my style, Whites are tossed at my enemies and Purples are hurled off the ledge to die.
Purples hurt. Its always good to have atleast one for an easy usmash ko or if you need to recover. I usually only go out of my way to get rid of them if I have 3+, in which I usually toss 2. But if I only have 1-2, I save them or throw them at my opponent. They mess up combos, can position your opponent for a grab if hit in the air and your opponent doesn't usually expect it. When it comes to combos and range, yes they suck, but they shouldn't be ignored completely.

asob4

Smash Champion

Streetlight Manifesto, Sublime, Mustard Plug, Arrogant Sons of B!tches, Common Rider, Operation Ivy, Suicide Machines, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Bomb the Music Industry!, Choking Victim, Leftover Crack (if you like a little hardcore too), High School Football Heroes, Catch 22, Mighty Mighty Bosstones

that's all off the top of my head

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think emmy uses olimar anymore. I'm not sure though. She's a lucario lover.

If I'm up against Ganondorf, DDD, or Boozer I just laugh and go for the grab. I don't bother pulling out more pikmin b/c I know they won't die. :p

Well i wouldn't say i'm the best Olimar user, but i know how to get around, heres how i roll:

1) Pluck pikmin as soon as match starts.
2) Use the whistle to organize my pikmin Side-Bs first (Whites, Reds, and Yellows - where as i keep my blues and purples in the back)
3) once some damage is built up i go in for the long-range grab with my blue(s) (Enourmous grab and smash length)
4)i grapple hit a few times and usually throw opponent into air, use chain, and - if i'm lucky - smash up

RichBrown

Smash Master
Many a time I've drawn a white pikmin at the very beginning, and I'll almost always just toss it, that way I've already done 6-12 damage before "GO!" has even disappeared from the screen. A lot of the time my opponent won't even notice ^_^ depending on the character I'll run in for an attack/grab before even plucking. it really all depends on who you are playing and/or what stage you are on. but you should know what you are gonna do on what stage versus which character. and mix it up.

Dude, it's all about jazz. Michel Camilo, Brad Mehldau, Chick Corea. Those cats know how to play. I embrace most styles of music, but those jazz cats have an understanding of music far beyond anything [/musicmajor]

Weruop

Smash Ace
i have begun to get into the habbit of plucking my three pikmin, and whitling about 3 times to land on blue or white ( most likely ) then i remember how many whistles i need to land on purple, to help anti edgehog, or get a KO

vs robs i try not to whistle til they are recovering, cuz they love to come above me with a nair, and the red upsmash hits thru it.

but after the pluckings and whistlings, i usually approach with well spaced fairs into f smashes or grabs.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anyone here put any thought into why they throw the pikmin in the first place? You know it...
1. forces your opponent to approach,
2. it can get some damage added of they don't kill them,
3. and it can distract them from your other attacks.

What if your opponent already knows he has to approach? And knows how to kill them, and how to kill them without getting grabbed at the same time? Against these sort of people I DON'T spam pikmin throw. I actually don't want them to get damaged by the pikmin. They already know that they have to approach, so your throw really isn't necessary.

I like to start by using grab combos at low percents so they'll chain better. If they're already at 10% when you start the grab combo, they might not even be susceptible to the first dthrow>fair combo. (depending on their character of course)

Most importantly, you want the momentum on your side. If you can only get one dthrow>fair or dthrow pivotgrab>dthrow in before they get away, what has that done to them psychologically? "Oh, he can get 20% with a dumb grab combo. That's frightening. pffff." You want them to fear your grabs and your ability to juggle them so they'll panic and make wrong decisions. Every time you get your opponent to airdodge one of your attacks, it was fueled by fear of that move. You want this to happen more. When you're able to pull a 50%+ combo from one grab, your opponent will fear your attacks more than if you only threw a couple pikmin and did one measly attack off your grab.

You could turn this around and say, "Wouldn't pikmin throw make them "scared" of that attack also?" Yes, it might, but it's not as important as getting them to airdodge almost by command. You can get some pretty easy kills this way. Take for example Rocann's 0-death combo on fatal that was shown in his recent combo video. He was able to get R.O.B. to airdodge nothing so he could charge his upsmash for the easy kill.

Just somethin to think about guys.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Has anyone here put any thought into why they throw the pikmin in the first place? You know it...
1. forces your opponent to approach,
2. it can get some damage added of they don't kill them,
3. and it can distract them from your other attacks.

What if your opponent already knows he has to approach? And knows how to kill them, and how to kill them without getting grabbed at the same time? Against these sort of people I DON'T spam pikmin throw. I actually don't want them to get damaged by the pikmin. They already know that they have to approach, so your throw really isn't necessary.

I like to start by using grab combos at low percents so they'll chain better. If they're already at 10% when you start the grab combo, they might not even be susceptible to the first dthrow>fair combo. (depending on their character of course)

Most importantly, you want the momentum on your side. If you can only get one dthrow>fair or dthrow pivotgrab>dthrow in before they get away, what has that done to them psychologically? "Oh, he can get 20% with a dumb grab combo. That's frightening. pffff." You want them to fear your grabs and your ability to juggle them so they'll panic and make wrong decisions. Every time you get your opponent to airdodge one of your attacks, it was fueled by fear of that move. You want this to happen more. When you're able to pull a 50%+ combo from one grab, your opponent will fear your attacks more than if you only threw a couple pikmin and did one measly attack off your grab.

You could turn this around and say, "Wouldn't pikmin throw make them "scared" of that attack also?" Yes, it might, but it's not as important as getting them to airdodge almost by command. You can get some pretty easy kills this way. Take for example Rocann's 0-death combo on fatal that was shown in his recent combo video. He was able to get R.O.B. to airdodge nothing so he could charge his upsmash for the easy kill.

Just somethin to think about guys.
very, very well said. In friendlies I've been doing nothing but grabbing for the sheer purpose of working on my Dthrow combos, but I've noticed that as I start getting more and more proficient with them, my opponents start getting more defensive and airdodgy, making them very predictable, thus making matches easier on me. installing the fear early is very crucial, most players will freak out on the opening chain grab, especially if you can make it a pivot grab (the coolest looking of Oli's chaingrabs imo). Tossing one-two pikmin really can't hurt anything at the beginning of the match though, especially when you can latch one-two into a grab.

this topic has made me realize how essential the start of a match truly is for an olimar player.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Emmy goes to tournaments with Lucario now. She gave up completely on Olimar, even when I nag her about it.
Also, the best is to train your opponent like I always have said to airdodge after dthrows for a charged upsmash.. It works on well known people like M2K, Diem and everyone else I generally play.

EDIT)) Isn't Emmy a shortened form of Emily? I always thought she was kidding when she told me that people thought she was a guy online.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

***** by a girl? In smash? Sounds smexy ; ). Does this Emmy have any vids up? She sounds like an interesting Olimar.
Click on my sig. I have a lot of videos up, only nothing recent from Olimar.

I don't think emmy uses olimar anymore. I'm not sure though. She's a lucario lover.
Yep..

Emmy goes to tournaments with Lucario now. She gave up completely on Olimar, even when I nag her about it.

EDIT)) Isn't Emmy a shortened form of Emily? I always thought she was kidding when she told me that people thought she was a guy online.
1. Sorry guys, it's true.

2. It can be, but not in my case. Emmy is a shortened form of my AIM name, and you can blame KDJ for that one.

Top Bottom