• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How you should choose your competitive main in Smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evb-V4--Bsk

This is what got me started liking Falcon..and combo video Pretty in Pink. Just watching him back when Ken was in his prime and just being wow'd at the fact how stylish, fast, hard hitting this guy was. PLUS I play F-Zero X back in the day, and he was the only real driver I liked. Probably because he was the main character lol!

Horseshoes

Smash Rookie
When I play smash, I usually gravitate towards characters from franchises/games I really enjoy (Ness, and Shulk) or from characters I just like in general (Captain Falcon). I sit down and learn as much as I can about them myself before I start looking at what everyone else is doing. So it was a plesent surprise when I see my main (Ness) is widely accepted as a top tier character, and that people were doing what I was experimenting with myself (except what they were doing was more fleshed out and developed). I also learned a bunch of new tricks, and was inspired to try different things by watching what other people were doing with him. So back to the original question, I'd say that, in large part, I pick a character based mostly on if I really like them or not, then I spend time adapting my play style to them.

Last edited:

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
it actually took me a long time to find my main in smash 4
AT first i was like wow this ness kid is freaking amazing but i kinda wanna be captain falcon because knees and show me ya moves.

Later i tried out sheik for the first time and i was kind of amazed by how fast she was and the kind of strings she could attain and how fun bouncing fish was. It took me a really long time to realize playing sheik was up my alley, but what really did it for me was when i started using it against my friends, and how thrown off they would get by the safe pressure sheik had to offer, and that was how i ended up deciding that sheik was the one for me.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Start at the top

Work my way down

Pick the first character I like most

ie: In my case, it would be Ness

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
Ever since Brawl I've been using Lucario as my main, but as of late he hasn't been serving me as well as he used to. I don't know why but it seems that Sakurai and the team might of just nerfed him from the last update. Maybe i'm just a little rusty with him, or I've been trying out some new fighters recently like Palutena and Ryu which may have gotten me out of my game. I'm not quite sure. I don't wanna toss the ol'blue fur ball just yet. If you guys and gals have any suggestions to help improve it would be much appreciated. Thanks

A_Kae

Smash Ace
According to this, Lucario got buffed, not nerfed. Jab links better.

It's probably just lack of practice, but if this continues for a long time, you really should think about finding a new character for a main.

As for improving with lucario, ask here.

Last edited:

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
In personal experience, there is no better drive to improve at a character (whether its a good or bad character)than really loving the character itself. I'd like to believe that it can be blamed on a lack of consistency as far as use is concerned. Lucario is a pretty modest character and I think you should really give him all you got before moving on.

I definitely agree with the above, going to the character board is a good next step. Analysis can be more rewarding than you think.

Last edited:

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
Lucario, in my opinion, is one of the hardest characters to master. But once you do, it's pretty rewarding.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi everyone,

Well, in my case, if I go through these steps, which are :
1) Play a character that you like. Well, I like every character, except for :4jigglypuff:,:4peach:,:4zelda:,:4gaw:,:4lucario:,:4lucina:,:4olimar:,:4tlink:,:4wiifit:and:4zss:. Sorry for the hate, guys. This is from my experience from the game.
2) Play a character that fits your playstyle and comfortable. Well, these characters : :4falcon:,:4darkpit:,:4diddy:,:4drmario:,:4fox:,:4luigi:,:4mario:,:4megaman:,:4pikachu:,:4pit:,:rosalina:,:4feroy:,:4ryu:,:4shulk:,:4sonic: and :4villager:.
3) A character that I can win with : very difficult to say but I came out with these results :

Mains : :4mario: and :4sonic:
Secondaries : :4luigi: and :4feroy:
Interested at picking (in case if one of my 4 characters get nerfed) : :4falcon:,:4darkpit:,:4megaman:,:4pikachu:,:4pit:,:rosalina:,:4ryu:,:4shulk: or :4villager:. So many of them that I seriously don't know.
For Fun : well, the rest except for characters mentionned in step 1.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I've probably already asked this question other places before but if I forget than it bears repeating again I suppose. How many characters qualify as "too many mains"? The one character I always keep going back to is :4darkpit: so I guess you could say he's my main but there are so many other characters that are just fun for me to play (:4larry::4charizard::4duckhunt::4greninja::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4pacman::4peach::4palutena::4pit::4ryu:and that's just who I regularly go back to). How do I know when I'm stretching myself too thin? The last time I went to Xanadu I felt like my Gohan (Mii brawler) suffered as a result.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In personal experience, there is no better drive to improve at a character (whether its a good or bad character) is really loving the character itself. I'd like to believe that it can be blamed on a lack of consistency as far as use is concerned. Lucario is a pretty modest character and I think you should really give him all you got before moving on.

I definitely agree with the above, going to the character board is a good next step. Analysis can be more rewarding than you think.
This. I couldn't commit to a character if I didn't have a connection to them or have fun playing them.

It can be difficult to find your groove, but once you do, you'll know it. It just feels right when it clicks.

I've probably already asked this question other places before but if I forget than it bears repeating again I suppose. How many characters qualify as "too many mains"? The one character I always keep going back to is :4darkpit: so I guess you could say he's my main but there are so many other characters that are just fun for me to play (:4larry::4charizard::4duckhunt::4greninja::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4pacman::4peach::4palutena::4pit::4ryu:and that's just who I regularly go back to). How do I know when I'm stretching myself too thin? The last time I went to Xanadu I felt like my Gohan (Mii brawler) suffered as a result.
A handful at most would be my advice. You can play as many as you want to, of course, but I'd recommend that you should between one and five (inclusive) truly competent characters in your roster. Three is a decent amount, provided you can devote time and effort to all of them.

I'll cite my own roster as an example. These are the characters I would feel totally confident taking to a tournament:

:4pit::4palutena:

These are the characters I have in my pocket in case I need backup, though I wouldn't necessarily play solo:

:4robinf::4lucina::4ganondorf:

Now obviously I can't devote as much time to my subs as I can to my mains, but I do practice with them routinely to keep them in shape in case I need them. I'll also occasionally pull them out to keep things fresh or as a "trump card" in case my mains aren't doing the job.

I can play other characters, though not to any meaningful degree, ergo I won't include them in this list. If you can get into the mentality of, "I understand this character, if I play this character, something good is going to happen", more so than any other character, you've got your main.

Last edited:

BlazeFlipnotes

Smash Cadet
NNID
a
so far I main Greninja, Shulk and Sonic. My friend recommended to me that I drop Sonic for Fox for better synergy, I however am not too sure on the choice. So basically right now I need help choosing a top/high tier character that has good synergy to replace Sonic (or should I keep Sonic?).

and please dont say ness, captain falcon or luigi lol

Last edited:

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Play 1 character a vast majority of the time and have 1 or 2 pocket characters for situational matchups (Iwould even say maybe that 3rd is too much). If by "synergy" it means covering the weaknesses of what the other characters have, then I would think thats a smart idea. Greninja is a fast, chasey sort of character and Shulk is a much slower, read based character (with some complicated monado tech), I'm not sure what base you aren't covering well. These characters are both somewhat opposite parts of the spectrum.

If you're really inclinded there is one type that might be situationally helpful, it would be a strong ranged character (lol go ness).

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sheik has good synergy with every list of mains, as she wins or ties effectively (if not literally) every matchup.

But seriously, just play a character you like. Unless you like Sonic. Replace Sonic.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I pick up characters that meets my demands. If I want to some super positional-force them into the ledge/Edge/corner, ima pick up a zoner (ROB) and if I want a strong CQC combatant, I'll pickup a brawler for a secondary (kirby).
Besides, picking multiple characters as your main peeps (2 to 3 is the most IMO) gives you new things to learn and experience from each character.
ROB taught me that a proper keep out game is your real defense as a zoner/passive player. Kirby is still schooling me in the arts of CQC and proper rolling, not to mention precision.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
since patches exist, play the character that you feel more rewarded when you win a tight match, there is no better feel.
even if its psychological, it makes a lot of players work harder.

Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
I like playing Defensive and space myself from the enemy, I guess marth and Robin are just fine for me.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I love heavy hitters above all else, hence why I've been drawn to Bowser since Melee.

There's something incredibly satisfying about landing that killing blow that absolutely skyrockets your opponent straight into orbit... :D

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Mario has been my main since Smash 64. Not just because of my gaming background, but also because I like his playstyle: combo-heavy that rewards good fundamentals. I tend to choose a sub-main so I can spice up my game a bit. I this game it's Samus. People tend to sleep on her and then I surprise them. She also helps me to cover some bad Mario MUs like Luigi.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I started to narrow things down after picking a few characters I enjoy playing, then sticking to the ones I enjoy most. I figured out that spacing and patience are my strong suits, and I love edgeguarding. So my characters reflect that in some way. I may also pick up a pocket character who forces me to play more aggressively, just to keep my mindset fresh, but we'll see.

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Hello smashers, i've been playing Sm4sh since his release in 3DS, and i played with probably all characters in the roster, but i don't feel good with anyone in this game...

In Melee and PM i used to be Mario and Sheik because i like his playstyle but in this game those two has changed too much...

I don't get any good results with the characters i like it, and with the others i don't feel good, what can i do?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hello smashers, i've been playing Sm4sh since his release in 3DS, and i played with probably all characters in the roster, but i don't feel good with anyone in this game...

In Melee and PM i used to be Mario and Sheik because i like his playstyle but in this game those two has changed too much...

I don't get any good results with the characters i like it, and with the others i don't feel good, what can i do?
First, get the character you like playing with the most and play lvl 3s. Playing lvl 3s will cement your decision since you'll be put in different situations that will need a specific answer from your character.
Then, look at emblem lord's post in the smash academy.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
hmm, well this place looks like a good place to start, I'd like to ask for opinions on something...

recently I've been taking steps to diverge my playstyle, because when I mained ZSS, Dark Pit, and Robin, more than a few players (some of them friends of mine) mentioned that I seemed to have been imitating Nairo. I admit my ZSS was inspired by him, but it didn't occur to me that was the case with the other two.

after having gotten thrashed by Gunblade at Super Smash Con because of it, I've now decided on attempting Little Mac and Roy, and while I like playing as them, I can't quite get consistent results. I can be very patient when I'm not under pressure of being grabbed too much, but overall my performance seems to be very spur-of-the-moment. so I can do well a couple of days, and then bomb horribly the next.

this failure of recognition on my part frustrates me, but unless I get some insight or clue, I doubt I can get anywhere...so what do you think I should focus on first?

Last edited:

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
hmm, well this place looks like a good place to start, I'd like to ask for opinions on something...

recently I've been taking steps to diverge my playstyle, because when I mained ZSS, Dark Pit, and Robin, more than a few players (some of them friends of mine) mentioned that I seemed to have been imitating Nairo. I admit my ZSS was inspired by him, but it didn't occur to me that was the case with the other two.

after having gotten thrashed by Gunblade at Super Smash Con because of it, I've now decided on attempting Little Mac and Roy, and while I like playing as them, I can't quite get consistent results. I can be very patient when I'm not under pressure of being grabbed too much, but overall my performance seems to be very spur-of-the-moment. so I can do well a couple of days, and then bomb horribly the next.

this failure of recognition on my part frustrates me, but unless I get some insight or clue, I doubt I can get anywhere...so what do you think I should focus on first?
The first thing you should do is stop worrying about what anyone thinks of your character choices - yes, you and Nairo share mains, but countless players share their mains with top players. There are a massive number of Sheik and Diddy players ala Zero, and people think nothing of it. If you click with ZSS, DP and Robin, then play ZSS, DP and Robin. Work on characters you enjoy playing, and it will reward you.

That said, if you still insist on switching to Mac and Roy, posit your questions in their respective character forums, please. They'll be glad to help you.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
To add on to Zorcey's advice, I wouldn't worry too much about being inconsistent. We all have on and off days. Simply put, experience improves your consistency. As you play the game more and more, against more people, you slowly understand the game more and more and get more comfortable being put in sitautions, etc. It comes with time. Play who you enjoy, regardless of what others think. Don't force yourself to play Mac or Roy if they aren't working, but if you want to pursue them, then by all means, go for it.

Gunblade789

Smash Ace
Yeah they gave sound advice. Also it does help that I play against Nairo on a consistent basis so if you do play the same characters as him then....lol.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
How you SHOULD choose your competitive main in Smash 4:
1. Choose a character that fits your play style.
2. Choose a character that you can feel passionate about.
3. Chose a character that you WIN with.

How you WILL MOST LIKELY choose your competitive main in Smash 4:
1. Look up popular unofficial Smash 4 tier lists and choose one of the top tier characters.
2. Choose a character that most of the top players are using.
3. Choose a character that has good tournament results.

- Event Hub: Tiers for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
- Smash Bros subReddit: Official /r/smashbros CUSTOMS OFF Tier List Results! (April 2015).
- Smash Bros subReddit: Official /r/smashbros Monthly Voted Tier List RESULTS! (July 2015) CUSTOMS OFF.
- YouTube: ZeRo's Smash Bros Wii U Tier List Part 1, Part 2, etc.
- SmashBoards: Community Voted Tier List.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly the rule set I gave myself when choosing a main and secondaries. so needless to say I completely agree

what is interesting is I've run into issues where a character fits 2 of the 3. like how Rosalina fits 2 and 3 but at first not 1.
but I'm starting to develop my own style with her so she is starting to fit 1. but she is just a secondary.

my main Mario and my other second Ness both completely fit the rule of 3

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
This is probably an offtopic question but:

how do i know my playstyle? i asked to some players of my zone and don't give me any answer :S

and

how i choose a character who fits to my playstyle, there are any archetype for this game or something?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
This is probably an offtopic question but:

how do i know my playstyle? i asked to some players of my zone and don't give me any answer :S

and

how i choose a character who fits to my playstyle, there are any archetype for this game or something?
Don't worry about it, you'll see it when you get better.

And if characters are different from each other, then they fill in different archetypes. Just choose a all-rounder (Mario, pit/dark pit, doc mario, and link sorta) and you'll see your playstyle.
EDIT: record your matches.

Last edited:

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
If still cant decide just throw a dart to pick your main.

Super Smash Bros.
:luigi64: :mario64: :dk64: :luigi64: :samus64: :falcon64:
:ness64: :kirby64: :yoshi64: :fox64: :pikachu64: :jigglypuff64:

Super Smash Bros. Melee

:drmario: :mariomelee: :luigimelee: :bowsermelee: :peachmelee: :yoshimelee: :dkmelee: :falconmelee: :ganondorfmelee:
:falcomelee: :foxmelee: :nessmelee: :icsmelee: :kirbymelee: :samusmelee: :zeldamelee: :linkmelee: :younglinkmelee:
:pichumelee: :pikachumelee: :jigglypuffmelee: :mewtwomelee: :gawmelee: :marthmelee: :roymelee:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:mario2: :link2: :dk2: :samus2: :kirby2: :fox: :pikachu2: :marth: :gw:
:luigi2: :diddy: :sheilda: :pit: :metaknight: :falco: :pt: :ike: :snake:
:peach: :yoshi2: :ganondorf: :popo: :dedede: :wolf: :lucario: :ness2: :sonic:
:bowser2: :wario: :toonlink: :rob: :olimar: :falcon: :jigglypuff: :lucas: ?

Super Smash Bros. Project M
:warioc: :mario2: :luigi2: :peach: :bowser2: :yoshi2: :dk2: :diddy: :falcon:
:wolf: :fox: :falco: :popo: :zelda: :sheik: :link2: :toonlink: :ganondorf:
:mewtwopm: :lucario: :pikachu2: :jigglypuff: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: :samus2: :zerosuitsamus:
:lucas: :ness2: :pit: :kirby2: :metaknight: :dedede: :ike: :marth: :roypm:
:olimar: :rob: :gw: :snake: :sonic: ?

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
:4mario: :4luigi: :4peach: :4bowser: :4yoshi: :rosalina: :4bowserjr: :4wario: :4gaw:
:4dk: :4diddy: :4link: :4zelda: :4sheik: :4ganondorf: :4tlink: :4samus: :4zss:
:4pit: :4palutena: :4marth: :4myfriends: :4robinm: :4kirby: :4dedede: :4metaknight: :4littlemac:
:4fox: :4falco: :4pikachu: :4charizard: :4lucario: :4jigglypuff: :4greninja: :4duckhunt: :4rob:
:4falcon: :4ness: :4villager: :4olimar: :4wiifit: :4drmario: :4darkpit: :4lucina:
:4shulk: :4pacman: :4megaman: :4sonic: ?

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
:4mario: :4luigi: :4peach: :4bowser: :4yoshi: :rosalina: :4bowserjr: :4wario: :4dk: :4diddy: :4gaw: :4littlemac:
:4link: :4zelda: :4sheik: :4ganondorf: :4tlink: :4samus: :4zss: :4pit: :4palutena: :4marth: :4myfriends: :4robinm: :4duckhunt:
:4kirby: :4dedede: :4metaknight: :4fox: :4falco: :4pikachu: :4charizard: :4lucario: :4jigglypuff: :4greninja: :4rob: :4ness: :4falcon:
:4villager: :4olimar: :4wiifit: :4shulk: :4drmario: :4darkpit: :4lucina: :4pacman: :4megaman: :4sonic: :4mii: ?

unused
:sheikmelee: :zerosuitsamus: :zelda: :sheik: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: :4miibrawl: :4miigun: :4miisword: :4mewtwo: :4lucas: :4feroy: :4ryu: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom