• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you rank the Smash roster in terms of priority?

pojr

Smash Rookie
most people pretty much nailed it

all of the 64 veterans are top priority, will never be scrapped

all of the clone fighters are middle priority

bottom priority would be all of the 3rd party characters. sonic would prolly be on the top of the priority list for 3rd party because sega is easy to negotiate with

Pupp135

Smash Lord
This priority list will assume that SSB never existed.
Must be in (Treating as 14, but technically 16 since the Miis are separate fighters)
Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Yoshi, Villager, Inkling, Chrom, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Charizard, Samus, Shulk, Miis
I’d add in a Brawl sized roster (16)
Bowser, Peach, Sonic, Ness, Olimar, Fox, Pokemon Trainer (by themself), Wario, Zelda, Isabelle, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Steve, Cloud
I’d add in a For sized roster (16)
Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Ike, Lucario, Ryu, Simon, Bayonetta, Pit, Pyra-Mythra, Mewtwo, Rosalina/Luma, Meta Knight, Bowser Jr., Byleth, Min Min, Ridley, Little Mac, Duck Hunt
I’d add in an base Ultimate sized roster (13)
Sora, Byleth, Snake, Hero, Joker, Terry, Sephiroth
Nice extras/clones, they can be added before thise above them (8):
Young/Toon Link, Daisy, Pichu, Lucina, Falco/Wolf, Ken, Richter
Charaters I can’t see my self adding in no order ():
Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Sheik, Wolf/Falco, Dr. Mario, Marth, Toon/Young Link, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Zero Suit Samus, Lucas, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Robin, Dark Pit, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, Incinoroar, Piranha Plant, Banjo-Kazooie
Reasons

Must be in: most of these represent today’s biggest franchises for Nintendo. Samus is in for being Nintendo’s first successful female protagonist. Charizard is a popular Pokemon that the Pokemon Company likes to use, and Miis are profitable/customizable. It was hard to choose the FE character since Marth is like Captain Falcon and Ness (and Jigglypuff, but it tends be treated as low priority) where he is prioritized for being a staple to SSB, Ike is the popular one, Chrom appears in crossovers and is a protagonist of the series most important entry, and then Byleth comes from the most recent/successful entry. I’ll probably go with Chrom and then the most recent protagonist.
Brawl sized roster: Most of the bigger Nintendo franchises get more fighters. Sonic and Mega Man are popular third parties. Ness and Ice Climbers give us really obscure characters, but Duck Hunt, Little Mac, and Pit would not be very farfetched either. In terms of order, I went with Bowser and Peach first for respectivley being the most notable villain and female from Nintendo, then Sonic for bringing in third parties. Before adding some less popular and relevant franchises, I wanted to add an obscure character with Ness. After Ness, I’d add in the less popular but long lasting franchises with Star Fox and Pikmin. After that, I’d add the protagonist of Pokemon, Wario, the rest of the triforce trio, and a popular NPC of Animal Crossing. I want add one mkre obscure character and then start adding in more third parties after Sonic.
For sized roster: I wanted a couple more Pokemon, Mario characters, and less popular, but relevant fighters. I wanted more third parties. I added a couple obscure fighters. I wanted a couple FE characters. Daisy and Pichu are last minute clones.
Base Ultimate sized roster: I added the remaining obscure fighters, more Mario and FE characters, more third parties, three popular requests, and a couple low effort characters.
Clones: I think that multiple Links are important as Link reincarnates. Daisy is a recurring Mario spin-off character, and Pichu is related to Pikachu. Lucina could be based on Chrom. I could seeing a second Star Fox character being possible as a Fox clone. If time permits, I could see myself adding Ken and Richter
Can’t see myself adding: Even if F-Zero was a well received franchise, I feel that I would’ve come up with adding Captain Falocn when F-Zero was relevant. While these characters are easy to make, I think timing really helped Jigglypuff, a third Star Fox character, and Dark Pit. I would have never come up with the idea of Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer. Since I’d have a bigger focus on third parties, I‘d assume that I’d probably overlook R.O.B. as a playable fighter. I probably would not think of adding three Links. Roy, Palutena, and Corrin would not have the timing to be in, and Corrin is controversial. I like Zero Suit Samus, but regular Samus is enough. Like Zero Suit Samus, Sheik isn’t needed for Zelda’s moveset, and OoT is 23 years ago, so I’d probably just have my LoZ cast as the triforce trio and a child Link. Lucas is unfortunately exclusive to Japan. While she was popular for Ultimate, I’m unsure if I would think of Dark Samus since she hasn’t been in a Metroid game for awhile. Similarly to Dark Samus, I’d probably overlook K. Rool since he hasn’t been in a game for 13 years, and Dixie Kong would be fitting choice for a DKC character. For Incinoroar, I’d probably pick Mimickyu as my Gen 7 Pokemon, but if I’m being honest, the Pokemon on my roster would be Kanto Pokemon, Lucario, advertisements, and maybe Pichu as a clone. For Piranha Plant, I’d rather add characters who are not generic enemies. Since I would prioritize other Microsoft characters, I could not see myself add Banjo-Kazooie. While a clone of Mario would be probable, it would more likely be Metal Mario. I like Marth and Robin, but Marth is mostly known for being in SSB, and Byleth is also in a popular game, and he can use magic in this hypothetical.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I updated op, although I feel like I'm missing two characters. Or I miscounted?

Min Min makes 76 + 7 echoes = 83

But I seem to have counted to 81. Can anyone see what went wrong?

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I updated op, although I feel like I'm missing two characters. Or I miscounted?

Min Min makes 76 + 7 echoes = 83

But I seem to have counted to 81. Can anyone see what went wrong?
I think you did 73-75 for :ultmiifighters: and then went back to 74 with :ultchrom:(correct me if it wasn’t him)

Edit: Also I put :ultminmin either in top or high priority depending on how ARMS performs in the future, and I’ll say a soft top for now.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I will be ranking these based on importance, uniqueness, and popularity.

Guaranteed to return: :ultbowser:,:ultfalcon:,:ultdk:,:ultfox:,:ultganondorf:,:ultinkling:,:ultisabelle:,:ultjigglypuff:,:ultkirby:,:ultlink:,:ultluigi:,:ultmario:,:ultmarth:,:ultness:, :ultpeach:, :ultpikachu:,:ultsamus:,:ultsonic:,:ultyoshi:,:ultzelda:

Likely to return: :ultbayonetta:,:ultbyleth:,:ultdiddy:,:ultfalco:,:ultgreninja:,:ulticeclimbers:,:ultike:,:ultkingdedede:,:ultkrool:,:ultlittlemac:,:ultlucario:,:ultmegaman:,:ultmetaknight:,:ultmewtwo:,:ultminmin,:ultgnw:,:ultolimar:, :ultpacman:, :ultpit:, :ultpokemontrainer:,:ultridley:,:ultrobin:,:ultryu:,:ultshulk:, :ultsimon:, :ult_terry:,:ulttoonlink:,:ultwario:,

Unsure/can go either way: :ultbanjokazooie: (depends on if Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship stays close), :ultlucas:,, :ultpalutena:, :ultrob:, :ultroy:,:ultchrom:,:ultsnake:,:ultvillager:(Isabelle effectively replaced him as the face of AC), :ultwolf:,:ultzss:, all echo fighters (depends on if during the development of the next Smash game if there is room for them)

Unlikely to return: :ultbowserjr:,:ultduckhunt:,:ulthero:,,:ultmiifighters:,:ultpiranha:,:ultrosalina:,:ultsheik:,:ultwiifittrainer:,

No: :ultcloud:,:ultcorrin:,:ultjoker:, :ultpichu:,:ultyounglink:,:ultincineroar:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’m doing this in what I expect priority for the next game, and while Toon Link and Jigglypuff will be releavtively low, they have a likely chance of returning by getting last scraps of development time.
:ultmario::ultkirby::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultbowser::ultmarth:
:ultvillager::ultinkling::ultpit::ultzelda::ultpeach::ultluigi::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultganondorf::ultpokemontrainer:
:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultwario::ultkingdedede::ultisabelle::ultridley::ultfalcon::ultness:
:ultdiddy::ultmetaknight::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultcloud::ultkazuya::ultlucario::ultkrool::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer:
:ultsheik::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultike::ultrosalina::ulttoonlink::ultfalco::ultzss::ultduckhunt::ultsteve:
:ultsora::ultbanjokazooie::ultgreninja::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultmewtwo::ultmythra::ultlittlemac::ultminmin:ultpalutena:
:ultsnake::ulthero2::ultsimon::ultbowserjr::ultjigglypuff::ult_terry::ultjoker::ultsephiroth::ultpiranha::ultincineroar:
:ultcorrin::ultlucas::ultroy::ultwolf::ultdoc::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultdarkpit:
:ultken::ultrichter::ultpichu::ultyounglink:
Marth is SSB’s view on the FE mascot more or less.
Pit feels more like an SSB character to me than Falcon or Ness.
Charizard is obvious, but I actually think that all of the trainer’s pokemon would be worked on.
Animal Crossing is pretty big, and both Isabelle and Villager are in Mario Kart 8, so they’re both high on this list.
Lucario is where SSB staples start to be added.
Wii Fit Trainer is mostly high up as she’s seems like surprise character that Nintendo/Sakurai cared more about.
I feel like the Ice Climbers’ double team gimmick helps them from being really low in terms of priority.
I didn’t know where to put Robin and Byleth, but I feel like they’re in a comparable position.
Given that Mewtwo was cut in Brawl due to time constraints, it’s unfortunately pretty low in terms of priority.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Updated to include Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra and Kazuya. Though admittedly Kazuya is probably too low. Maybe when the final character releases I'll reorganise the whole thing.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Original 8:
:ultmario: :ultlink::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultkirby:

Nintendo characters I see no reason to leave out of future games:
:ultluigi::ultness::ultmarth::ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultpalutena::ultwario::ultpeach::ultfalcon::ultbowserjr::ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja::ultvillager::ultlucario::ultpit::ultrosalina::ultzelda::ultcharizard:
Nintendo characters I see some reason to leave out of future games:
:ultfalco::ultpokemontrainer::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainerm::ultshulk::ultlucas::ultpyra::ultike::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultrobin::ultsheik::ultzss::ultincineroar::ultmiifighters::ultminmin:ultbyleth::ultisabelle::ultbayonetta::ultwolf::ultgnw:(unsure if GW counts as Nintendo but...)
Top Priority 3rd party characters:
:ultsonic::ultcloud::ultpacman::ultmegaman:

Nintendo characters I'd see as the first to go if push came to shove:
:ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy::ultyounglink::ultdaisy::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultcorrin::ultpiranha::ulticeclimbers::ultdarksamus:

second tier priority 3rd party characters
:ultsteve::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie::ultjoker::ultsephiroth::ultryu::ulthero::ultkazuya::ult_terry:

low priority 3rd party characters:
:ultrichter::ultken:

put my own personal likes and dislikes for the characters aside and thought of factors such as how intertwined the characters already are with smash, technical issues that may arise with the character, what they represent in smash, if its worth it to make deals with outside companies and if there is any redundancy with that character being there.

note: put bayo as Nintendo since they do kind of own her even if it is partial.

edit: forgot Megaman

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Here's who I think are least likely to be cut going forward:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario:
:ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultisabelle:

:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultbayonetta:

IMO this is the bare minimum of any given Smash roster
I think the characters above are the mainstays of Smash.

My thoughts on 3rd party characters getting cut for Smash 6. as always take these with a grain of salt just me speculating
:ultsonic:: I don't see getting cut going forward
:ultsnake:: Could happen again due to relationship between Kojima and Konami if so then I think Bomberman would be next in line
:ultmegaman:: don't see getting cut; possible swap with another Rockman (X, EXE, Volnutt, or Starforce) but not likely
:ultpacman:: don't see getting cut as long as Namco's Smash developer; even if Smash was developed by another studio Pac-Man should be safe
:ultryu:: don't see getting cut going forward
:ultken:: could see him not making it back if so does his "spot" go to another Capcom rep or SF rep?
:ultcloud:: I think he's the likeliest of the 3 SE reps so far to return.
:ultbayonetta:: she seems to be safe unless internally she's in direct competition with Astral Chain due to them both being Platinum Games/Nintendo.
:ultsimon: : could see him returning. I think all current 3rd parties will have at least one rep going forward unless a professional breakdown happens with Nintendo. Also doesn't seem to have the ownership issues Snake has.
:ultrichter:: 50/50 depends on if Sakurai wants to continue branding Echo fighters.
:ultjoker:: don't know i'm leaning on him returning.
:ulthero:: i feel not all three SE reps will return and yet despite DQ's popularity in Japan I feel he's the 2nd most likely to return.
:ultbanjokazooie:: interestingly enough i have a feeling they won't make it back.
:ult_terry:: theoretically should be safe unless they want to rotate the SNK rep (if there's only one) to Marco or Nakoruru. If SNK has more than 1 rep he's safe.
:ultsteve:: I think he's more likely to return than Banjo
:ultsephiroth:: I don't think he'll return.
My thoughts on the 3rd party characters chances of returning in the future.
Updated: :ultkazuya:: I think he and Pac-Man will return in the future. I have a good feeling about him.
Updated: :ultsora:: I don't think he'll return

Last edited:
Top Bottom