• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you change the online modes?

kittenchilly

Smash Rookie
Assuming they don't just keep the same For Fun/For Glory system from SSB4, how would you change how the online modes in SSBU work?
Personally I'd like to see a Quick Match free for all mode sorta like Brawl's online system with a stage select and a rules roulette picking from all the current players. Just for the casual players and people who just want to get a quick match in for fun.
In contrast, there'd be a Ranked mode, which is 1 on 1 no items mode randomly picking from an Omega/Battlefield form map. To differentiate from For Glory, you'd get a rank like Splatoon that goes up from doing well in fights so you can get paired with more even match ups. There'd also be something similar with doubles, 2 on 2, no items, team attack, you're rank is uniquely paired with a friend, etc.
I want to hear some opinions.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd make every wi-fi warrior connect a goddamn ethernet connector to their Switch so I don't have to deal with their bad internet on days that they suffer from bad weather.

Also an actual ranked leader board would be nice too, so I don't randomly stomp on children who accidentally wandered into For Glory or get stomped by ZeRo doing one of his streams.

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
EVERYTHING of use as far as remedies or potential solutions to minimize experiences that would be tainted by lag should be. From the code itself down to filtering options (^YES to Wired Connection Only Mode, for example... Blacklisting, Reputation Standard, Region, the works...)

Set Commitment Policy - In your profile, one of your settings pertains to this. You can choose Single Match, Best of 3, or Best of 5. Under this system, points towards ranking are given or taken after the set is complete. If you renege by dropping out or opting out before the set is finished, you will be penalized. For example. If you are set to find matches with players with the Best of 3 Setting, winning your first match and then leaving results in overall points loss. This will also be noted under your reputation, even for the Casual Mode.

Ranked (Tournament Standard. Strict Scoring/Leaderboard/Rank Classes)
Ranked (Party Play - Dev's Rules - Random Mix)
Casual (Tournament Standard. Matchmaking Congruent With Ranked, just not scored)
Casual (Party Play - Players' Favorites - Vote if Single Match/Alternate If Set Commitment)
Lobby (Fully Customize Gameplay Rules, Organize Tournaments, Invite Friends)

Full Player History Data - Check your lifetime records against any player you've encountered. You can view stats, replays, and so on.

Replay Channel. Search for replays by player name, characters, ranking class, match types, views... Set for Continuous Viewing. Players can stamp "Analysis Request" to their replays. Anyone who watches can now highlight segments of that match and make comments (text/voice/symbols). That feedback goes back to the person who requested the analysis. This could be a cool aid for helping/receiving help. Those who help would get coins towards unlocks + kudos score or something.

Online Training Events. So, this is kind of like Trials in SFV, but user-created. IF we had a Training Mode that met the standards of such games as SFV and went a bit further with a powerful feature that involves importing replay data (yours or other players) into a Custom Training Module, allowing players to quickly get into practicing against complex situations or cutting down on time used to record training dummies to recreate simple situations, THEN we could also have a mode online that circulates these custom training modules for everyone of the community to take on for coins for unlocks or something. User A's Combo Challenge. User B's DI Challenge. User C's Mixup Escape Challenge. User D's Zoning Challenge. User E's Anti Air Challenge. User F's Perfect Shielding Challenge. And so on for so long... Just daily feeds that are optional.

I don't know. There's a lot more that could be said, but I'm hoping for a top class online mode. It's important for training purposes.

Last edited:

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
A report system that doesn't punish me for simply winning

The ability to see peeps' internet connections before a match

An actual ranking system

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
The ability to see connections would be great. In addition, wouts like to see them handle lag better. I would like it to just drop the match instead of having to chug through laggy as hell matches.

I would like the online matches to have a stage select instead of just being random. I'm so sick of playing on 75m and it's bland as hell layout.

Ranking systems would be great as well.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
They should look at rivals of aether online modes. In 1v1, you were allowed to ban stages and counterpick then the other player would choose a stage, as if it were a tournament set.

Matchmaking would be cool, showing connection of players and win rates to allow you to find players of your skill level.

Since miis are planned for online, maybe you can make one specific mii for online play

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
An actual ranking system
A hub area like Splatoon (instead of a city its a stadium or a fighting arena), where you walk around as any of the characters in 3d models and you can go to the different stations to where you want to fight. You can also see post written by people ( they could do those Smash letters that was seen in Smash 4 Villager trailer to make it not seem out of place)
1v1 For Fun Mode (With 3 stocks)
Tag Team modes in For Fun and For Glory now use stock instead of time limit
1v1 For Glory is 3 stocks now and we can choose with Battlefield and Omega version we want
The ability to agree to fight them or not and see people internet connections before choosing to fight them (also to see their win and loss records and your win percentage)
The ability for people to create rooms where the creator of the room can set what match types happen, what stages they play on, items on or off, stock or time, etc. People can search for your room or you can send out a code through twitter. ( This would be great for youtubers to play with subscribers without having to add them as friends).
A live spectator mode
Online Tournaments of 64 players

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
If it’s free for all I want an a way that if there are only 2 -3 fights they can agree to start the fight if no one is joining and staying. The way it is now is annoying someone joine time resets guy leaves time resets.
Sat for five minutes fighting my shadows with out realizing

I also would put a mode with stage hazards in normal forum but no items
I dress time limit as well not longer enough

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Most of my ideas have already been said, but if I had to add a really ambitious one, it would be to select the stages that you want to play on and have the game match you with other players who chose said stages. I can't imagine that they'd keep a system like that tied to ranked play (assuming they do any kind of regular ranked play that matches you up with liked ranked players) but it would be good for making a universal online competitive rule set to get fast competitive matches.

Also making it so that the game only matches you with players using ethernet if you are using it but that may be neigh impossible to implement lol.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
  • Have some way of making SSBU online run like racing games. Specific positions of the players or precise timing of inputs seems to affect latency.
  • Make it so that reporting people won't be taken prima facie, but instead will be examined for signs of abuse. Or, make FG hell temporary.
  • Get rid of the ability to taunt online. People get salty as **** and decide to report you.
  • Get rid of punishing people for leaving a match by giving a time period. If someone is clowning around, I don't want to have to SD just to leave.

Top Bottom