• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How will we organize online smashing on SWF?

Xekonic

Smash Rookie
This is something I have been looking into recently. But from all I've read, I think there seems to be a lot of over complication occurring here.

The biggest issue is really a matter of coding. In that, do you want to create a full fledged system, or do you want it to be relatively non-automated and smooth. Eg: You goto a site, signup with your friend ID, your username, check your schedule, etc. Or come to the boards, and look through a thread, etc.

When it comes to the videos, I am hoping two things:
1) We can choose when to start recording
2) There isn't a unanimous desire from people to require a recording (minus maybe tourney play)

I would hate to see a time limit restriction placed on matches due to a shoddy video record design.

At any rate, not requiring a recording is quite simple, really, and I don't see a need for matches to require a referee (although I imagine one could be requested). It could work really quite simply- when the match is over, the winning player reports the victory. The defeated player confirms it. It's worked online like this for a while now.

Second up is the league itself:
I personally would like to see multiple tier leagues. A kind of starter league, intermediate, and pro (broken into timezones). The pro league there would be prize money, however, as far as I understand it it wouldn't be able to work in the same fashion as a pot (since it's technically gambling, if I recall). There is a pretty easy work around for this, but I won't get into it right now.

From what I have seen with online leagues in the past, schedules are really the biggest issue. I personally prefer the method where you are given the whole seasons schedule in advance. etc.

Having an online system also opens up a number of other doors (for example a more statistically sound and tracked method of determining tiers, rating top players, a convenient list of friend ID's and their experience, etc)

That's just my .02c. I would love to see online competitive play. I'm up for helping. And for those who like real tournaments, the pro league could quite easily lead to a real tournaments. But you've got to start somewhere :)

Mike87

Smash Ace
I would participate in both types of tournies...but what if the match takes longer than 3 min?
Maybe you can just record some parts of a tournament at a time, it would be like highlights of the match.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Well... here's one option... http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120358 someone else is working on an online ladder board system through SWF. Of course the newest update yesterday about video playback/recording is very exciting. If online and easily usable, this feature will hopefully make it considerably easier to have online tournaments. There would be no need for observers to watch match outcomes and increase possible lag. Please though check that link out and keep in mind that this is all very much in planning and furthermore that we haven't seen the actual game yet. We have no clue how big of a factor lag will play. In that case we would make this tournament split into different regions.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
I hope the tourneys happen in something like an irc chat, with everything happening real time... cuz board tourneys, with hours and all...
well, they SUX!

algandar88

Smash Journeyman
OR you guys could go to some real tournaments....
GGRRR....u said wat i was gonna say...but yeah goin to actual tournys is cool cause u get to see other ppl ...the looks on the faces of the ppl hoo lose when its a really close game ...online tournies would b cool to

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
In 1 years time we will have hundreds of Smash bros friend codes. Then when a tourney is organized,
we just add all the participants to our friends list and play the person who we're supposed to play.
if timeing becomes such a problem, we could just play 3 min matches.

There will be no reson to travel to far away places to play smash. People will usually not come if they can just play from home.

Tsuki

Smash Apprentice
You really think there will be people claiming they won if they didnt?
Come on i dont think we need some Video-Proof for that ~.~

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
In 1 years time we will have hundreds of Smash bros friend codes. Then when a tourney is organized,
we just add all the participants to our friends list and play the person who we're supposed to play.

There will be no reson to travel to far away places to play smash. People will usually not come if they can just play from home.
This is blatant falsehood. That's like saying nobody would think of leaving their homes for Halo 2 or Guilty Gear: #Reload games because those have online capabilities.

Part of the community aspect of a game is the COMMUNITY. As much as people talk on forum, it's not a terribly united community unless they actually get together and interact sometimes. People will always get together for Smash, this includes when Brawl comes out.

I think wifi is going to play a very small part in tournaments in general, and forget competitive tournaments being held online. How would they handle pot? What would keep people from trying to lie about their result in a match? Having an extra person sit in every match as a 'judge' is impractical and time consuming. Plus, at the end of the day, it's hardly what Smash players have come to represent.

So yeah, the day I see an MLG tournament for Smash online is the day I eat my GameCube controller.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I've got an idea. Instead of having tournaments, we could use something like the ELO point system they use to compare chess players.

I'm not totally familiar with how it works, but pretty much you start with 1000 (I think), then you gain points for wins and lose points for losses. You gain lots of points for beating someone with a much higher ELO than you, but only like 1 point if you beat someone at your ELO (I'm not sure exactly how it works).

This might be difficult to set up, but it would get some pretty interesting results.

Foxy

Smash Master
I've got an idea. Instead of having tournaments, we could use something like the ELO point system they use to compare chess players.

I'm not totally familiar with how it works, but pretty much you start with 1000 (I think), then you gain points for wins and lose points for losses. You gain lots of points for beating someone with a much higher ELO than you, but only like 1 point if you beat someone at your ELO (I'm not sure exactly how it works).

This might be difficult to set up, but it would get some pretty interesting results.
This is about the same system used in World of Warcraft for arena ratings in battlegroups. Everyone starts out at 1500, and more points are gained/lost based on the rating of the opposing team.

If anyone is more familiar with WoW than chess, it could be a good reference.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
things would be alot easier if tournament mode was online nd every 1 could jus enter from there
This is about the same system used in World of Warcraft for arena ratings in battlegroups. Everyone starts out at 1500, and more points are gained/lost based on the rating of the opposing team.

If anyone is more familiar with WoW than chess, it could be a good reference.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120358 stop this pointless arguing. There will still be both online and in person. Online will have the luxury of your own tv, but at the cost of it not beings as special and official as an in person tournament.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
We know. We're trying to figure out how we'll organize the online tournaments.
I am aware of that. I'm suggesting we all organize together and I have a layout that I would like people to take a look at... it's here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120358 . A lot of people in this thread have really good ideas and I am asking them to look at my layout and see how their ideas might fit in.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
No! You Fail!

I wonder if Sakurai thought of online tourney

It would be like
Play with friends
Play aganst anyone
Tourney with Friends
Start Tourney
Tourney with anyone

You could start your own tourney shoosing the stuff, the number of players, the number of combatints, then you start. Other people looking for a tourney will come up and they will all be in. If someone quits, then that person who was supposed to fight them would get an auto victory.
no Lag ± complaining = no fun. what will the winner get? if im not making money through online tournaments theres no point in even participating.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Ah, I didn't even follow the link to the thread you made in your first post there. I assumed it was the "Will there still be tournaments" thread.

Sorry.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
That is a really good idea since i am beginning to doubt a spectator mode ever being implemented
Now theres a mode I'd like to be implemented :p It'd be perfect for online mode

or even a room were you can invite people and they can request matches to each other and stay in the room while they play matches so when they come out everyones still together......

not sure if you'd understand :p.

things would be alot easier if tournament mode was online nd every 1 could jus enter from there
WoW now theres a great idea :)

Puppet Master

Smash Cadet
im sure there will just be 1 thread that keeps getting bumped everytime there's a torny and FCs will be added right and left to be accepted into the Host.

Terrible post. Just because you don't have a life doesnt mean others don't. You're from long beach, how do you know what it's like to live in the middle of nowhere?

And you though my post was terrible? I have no life? Hah, yeah. Don't try to define life by your biased definitions. You not going to tournaments doesn't define how I live my life, it just shows that you aren't dedicated enough or you are in an unfortunate situation. Tournaments aren't accessible to everyone. Sucks to be you, doesn't it?

No Johns.

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
good idea, i might even try to host my own, when the game comes out, i think the 2 judges is a good idea

Top Bottom