• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Will Tournaments Be Handled?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't have a WiiU just yet so I've been reading about USB controllers. From what I've read, the WiiU does not support them. Considering that we can't have wireless controllers at tournaments, what's going to happen with tournaments.

We really need an update that installs drivers that will support USB controllers.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
I'm also curious. I'm guessing the Wii Classic Controller Pro will be compatible with SSB4, so it might become the new standard in competitive play.

They might also release a wired version of the Wii U Pro controller.

EDIT: this is what I'm referring to

EDIT 2: apparently that controller works by plugging itself into the wiimote, so that won't work.

Hopefully Nintendo will respond with a truly wired controller.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I made a blog about this on AiB, but we're actually kind of screwed. I checked with the hacking crowd, the Pro controller uses USB only for charging and transfers no data. As far as I know Wii U is not designed to accept USB inputs for controllers.

Only a Nintendo update could fix this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
An update that installs drivers could remedy this, right?

that1smasher

Smash Rookie
http://www.amazon.com/Tournament-FightStick-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B00AJGVGRG

MadCatz' TE fightstick takes input via USB wire, so wired inputs are possible. If Nintendo doesn't do anything to patch the Pro controller, maybe a third party like MadCatz can make a widely adopted wired controller for us. They could even make it like that Gamecube mock-up above and I'm sure the comminity would adopt it like the FGC widely adopts their TEs. Just hope they aren't priced like TE's

M@v

Subarashii!
Does the Wii U even have controller ports?
It has USB ports, so a wired controller would have to be a USB one.

Also, every new console is using wireless controllers, so this is a problem facing competitive gaming on all fronts, not just wii u.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In the past, the 360 and PS3 have used USB wired controllers as an alternative so the ps4 should as well.

M@v

Subarashii!
but so did nintendo; the gamecube controller was the wired alternative.

Speaking of controllers, have you guys seen nyko's wii u controller?

Squartle

Smash Apprentice

Speaking of controllers, have you guys seen nyko's wii u controller?

Looks nice, but frankly I trust 3rd-party manufacturers about as much as I trust Microsoft lately.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yes, but I was talking specifically about USB controllers, something the Wii never had as far as I know.

Top Bottom