• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How will the upcoming update affect ROB?

GspotJackson

Smash Rookie
NNID
GspotJackson
A lot of people complain about Hoo Hah. Does that mean bad news for ROB? Will they nerf him a lot or add some buffs?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Impossible to say for certain, but I shouldn't imagine he'll be heavily affected either way. I expect nothing substantial.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Impossible to say for certain, but I shouldn't imagine he'll be heavily affected either way. I expect nothing substantial.
this is exactly what I'm thinking. If anything happens they will change his down throw. I'm sure grab to aerial set ups are WAY on the radar for nintend-patch thanks to our friend :4diddy:. I mean if it happens it will suck but we cant be too mad. The Beepboop is still a hoohah after all.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I will be sad if the down throws to up airs get nerfed, all through brawl we wanted a more combo based game and cool kill setups, now we want them gone?

I hope the Beep Boop doesn't get nerfed, diddy's hoo haa is only so good because the frame and hitbox data on his up air is amazing.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Upsmash does 0,4 more damage on the first hitbox: buff by sakurai

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I'm terrified R.O.B.'s kill potential's going to be nerfed. After starving for KOs in Brawl, it's gotten so nice for it to be a non issue between Up Throw, Up Smash, and Up Air.

Honestly, R.O.B.'s size alone is enough of a burden to balance the character. I hope the game developers share the same opinion!

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
this is exactly what I'm thinking. If anything happens they will change his down throw. I'm sure grab to aerial set ups are WAY on the radar for nintend-patch thanks to our friend :4diddy:. I mean if it happens it will suck but we cant be too mad. The Beepboop is still a hoohah after all.
I doubt it. unlike the hoo-hah, the beep-boop can only be done at earlier percentages and is used to rack up damage. ROB's throw actually has scaled knockback, so it doesn't work on higher percents. diddy's throw has very little scaling, so it combos into U-air at practically any percent, provided they DI wrong. and it just so happens that U-air is a great damage racker and kill move...

I'm hoping they don't nerf ROB. he has the necessities to be good, and he still has trouble with the higher tiers. not to mention his weaknesses can't be any more obvious.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm terrified R.O.B.'s kill potential's going to be nerfed. After starving for KOs in Brawl, it's gotten so nice for it to be a non issue between Up Throw, Up Smash, and Up Air.

Honestly, R.O.B.'s size alone is enough of a burden to balance the character. I hope the game developers share the same opinion!
Agreed. Having mained the clunky, awkward love machine that was Brawl R.O.B., I can safely say his enormous hitbox is his greatest weakness.

GspotJackson

Smash Rookie
NNID
GspotJackson
Yah I've shared similar sentiments with his size. He just gets eaten up against characters who can combo easy like Sheik and Mario.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I don't see the BeepBoop as something warranting a nerf. As stated before, it only works at low to low-mid percents, and then is reliant on readin DI + airdodge baiting afterward up until high-mid percents. That being said, just because it doesn't warrant a nerf, doesn't mean it won't happen. Basically, if the bulk of the roster gets their BnB throw conversions nerfed (and thereby making us change the title of the game from Super Downthrow Conversion Brothers to something else), then I see ROB being among them. If not, and its (presumably) exclusive to Diddy... then, no worries.

ROB seems relatively balanced, and in fact I think he requires a few buffs to be able to really contend with the current (pre-patch) higher tiers. And, even if the current top/higher tiers are nerfed, I still see him facing the same core problems. These buffs I would like are (in no order):
- Brawl's F-tilt back
- Brawl's F-air back
- Brawl's up+b back (won't happen... what with the custom up+B)
- Some altering of his hurtboxes, weight, and inherent physics to not make him combo food.

I'd be happy with any 2 of them, but the last one is my biggest wish atm, followed by the F-air.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
if anything on the up b, they should bring boosted aerials back and able to use aerials out of up b with a gyro in hand... a personal wish would be for them to bring glide-tossing back... any of those would greatly increase ROB's options vs faster characters, especially glide-tossing. a robot can only dream...

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm kinda worried we'll be nerfed a bit. We know it's balanced on casual gameplay, and R.O.B is known for pub stomping.

I really hope he doesn't get nerfed, if he drops below c- tier I might as well just stop playing the game. R.O.B is the only character I really play.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Nerf and buff are things i don't mind really, because nerf and buff don't hurt so much character viability: Rosa, while being hit hard by sakurai, didn't really drop from top tier.
And in ROB tools, there is nothing really buffable/nerfable outside of small damage modification.
Ness, and a few more character are in the same boat in this regard by the way.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm kinda worried we'll be nerfed a bit. We know it's balanced on casual gameplay, and R.O.B is known for pub stomping.
That's largely because ROB players are quite rare, so most people don't know how to play against him. I think the devs would have at least that much sense.

:231:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
That's largely because ROB players are quite rare, so most people don't know how to play against him. I think the devs would have at least that much sense.

I don't know maaan. Since we don't really know how they're balancing, and we don't exactly have a proper tier lost, literally anything could happen.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't know maaan. Since we don't really know how they're balancing, and we don't exactly have a proper tier lost, literally anything could happen.
As far as we do know, characters are balanced around FFAs. If the play-testers are the same as the last few balance updates, they should be familiar with ROB's moves, and being a noob-killer won't really be factor.

Top Bottom