• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how well does my ikenator, ikenate? lol

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol cheesy title>_>

well i picked up ike a month ago i was like this

white Ike (Toast) vs. red Ike (Penta) (i'm the red ike)

i can see that i have improved and i've taken quite a liking to his playstyle
he's so fun to use and i'm determined to become really good with him:p

anyway this is my ike now

Ike(Penta) vs CFalc(Strike42)

Ike(Penta) vs. Zelda(???)

i'll appreciate any helpful tips or comments:p
sorry for the quality on second one

thank you

Edit: dont comment on my first vid lol,just showing you all how i was before:p
second and third one are the ones

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I suppose I have the time to critique video number two.

First off, if your first jab misses, don't go on and press the A button two more times. It's going to leave you pretty much open. To remedy this, hold the A button instead of tapping it three times.

On the subject of jabs, be sure to cancel them. Let go of the button and perform the jab combo once again. You always either peformed the combo or went for a grab. Try to mix in Up Tilts and Down Smashes into that.

On the subject of grabs, don't always Forward Throw. Back Throw is better in almost every scenario; it gives you about 5 extra frames to work with after you throw them. Be sure to use Dthrow to get them into the air at times as well. Don't forget to pummel either.

Counter those random Falcon Punches that the guy kept throwing out, he used like 4 of them in a 3 stock match. That's 4 Falcon Punches too many.

Be sure to incorporate Fair into your game more, it's a very nice spacing tool. You really used it like...once.

Ftilt is a good move, use it. Same with Eruption, Dair and Uair which I saw none of.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yea i was just noticing the lack of fairs as i was re watching my own video lol
also eruption and such leave me open if i miss so i kind of forget about it,i'll go for that more
oh and i totally forget about jab canceling into smashes,thank you for reminding me, lol
faster way to kill my opponents

as for the jabs,i forward throw because i've simply gotten use to it,should mix my combos around:p

i didn't know that about back throw,i shall use it more

one question about countering?
should it be used often in my playstyle?
or was the cfalc one of the few rare situations where itd be useful?

thanks again:D

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
yea i was just noticing the lack of fairs as i was re watching my own video lol
also eruption and such leave me open if i miss so i kind of forget about it,i'll go for that more
oh and i totally forget about jab canceling into smashes,thank you for reminding me, lol
faster way to kill my opponents

as for the jabs,i forward throw because i've simply gotten use to it,should mix my combos around:p

i didn't know that about back throw,i shall use it more

one question about countering?
should it be used often in my playstyle?
or was the cfalc one of the few rare situations where itd be useful?

thanks again:D
You should use Counter for VERY obvious moves and little else. If something has a high start up time, such as Falcon Punch, use it then.

Also use it for predictable recoveries, such as Link's.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm watching the videos right now... expect a long analysis later.

EDIT:
0:11 - Why did you do the complete jab combo when he was behind you?
0:16 - You connected with the NAir, but you turned around for some reason; trying to NAir -> BAir?
0:24 - Again, you connected with the NAir, but you turned around and missed with your next attack (UTilt).
0:30 - You shouldn't have gone for the FSmash; your opponent had too low % to make it worth it. Save it for kills, not to set up edgeguards.
0:34 - Why did you just stand there after the NAir? You could've at least tried FAiring him while he was UAir'ing.
0:38 - FThrow -> UTilt? I'm guessing that you were trying to dash attack but screwed up. Nice NAir -> jab -> grab though.
0:49 - You should've FAired him again or used FTilt/FSmash, he was too high and too close to the stage for DTilt to spike him properly.
0:52 - It seemed like you knew he would try the Falcon Punch; you should've punished with something harder-hitting than NAir (like FAir or Counter)
0:57 - You started spamming UAir too much; even though it's obscenely powerful, it's not a guaranteed kill at the low 100%s if your opponent DI's properly. Nice UTilt though, it caught him completely off-guard.
1:07 - FThrow -> dash attack doesn't work as well as BThrow -> dash attack; BThrow has less ending lag, making it easier to follow up with.
1:09 - Only continue the jab combo if you hit the opponent with the first hit or if they're only slightly out of range from the first hit; definitely not if you're facing the wrong direction. Your DI was pretty non-existent on that attack as well; you should've known the hit was coming when he started the DSmash animation.
1:15 - Nice reverse Aether gimp. Be careful of going down that low though, if you miss and they grab the edge, you're as good as dead.
1:41 - You should've FAir'd instead of NAir, it's range is too short to hit him from there and FAir is more damaging.
1:57 - Again, nice gimp.

Overall, your Ike is pretty good; a little too much NAir for my taste though. You should use FAir more for spacing, it has amazing range and does a fair amount of damage as well. Your DI and fluidity at times (attacking in the wrong direction, messing up FThrow -> dash attack, etc.) weren't too good; was this Wi-Fi? Smart use of USmash, by the way; I personally use it more liberally, but you were able to make it connect when you did use it, so that's good.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Hey Penta! Don't I have you on my FC list? We had some fun matches back in the day, though I haven't played in a long time.

Metroid and Light covered it pretty much. Some things I'd like to emphasize:

-After you spot dodge and you see that they end up behind you, buffer your directional input so you turn around and jab (preferably) immediately. Kirk uses it quite well and Rykoshet admitted it was something he needs to do more often.

-Nair is a great move because of its low lag after execution, but it doesn't have the range you need. Fair more and create a balance between the two. Unless of course your facing a character that can punish you for a missed Fair i.e. Sonic if close by.

-General spacing. I've seen Ikes incorrectly space the dash attack, Fair and Nair. Especially Nair because of its low lag upon landing. Just keep a careful eye on your opponent and take their movement into account when spacing.

You seem to know what your doing. Nice gimps and you capitalized on mistakes. Remember to mix it up.;)

Love Metroid's in depth analysis.:chuckle:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I spot dodge into turn around jab very well now, the problem now is that I always spot dodge before I turn around jab, which I need to stop.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Against zelda there is way to fair and you resorted to rolling into or behind Zelda (while she is in air) when you shouldve either naired or baird. Try to incorporate the -> combos into your game a bit more. (This is just from watching against Zelda)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i didn't really expect this thread to get any more comments but i loved the advice some of you left me,
give me a minute to fully read it now lol

okay done
well firstly i know i've said it already but Yagimilight's advice has really improved my game since i posted these vids. I'll have to thank him D:

IceMetroid XZa143,thanks a ton (and idk if we played before XZa143,but im always on wifi literally lol)
Oh and yes,it is wifi
which is why sometimes i did jab combo as he was behind me lol
lag doesn't show in replays,so it comes out as that :p

I nair alot less now,and fair more often,as i found out it's a lot better for spacing and approach sometimes
as you both said.
as for the downtilt,i recall that i WAS trying to do Ftilt but my controller somehow did Dtilt lol

as for the jabs,Thanks for pointing that out,I'm a lot more careful about that now and yea,Bthrow is sexy:p
Nair,jab,grab is still one of my many nice moves D:
i just love that!!
And the aether Gimps are nice,but 50% of the times,i die instead lol,practicing that still

overall thanks everyone,you've all helped alot,I'm alot better since two weeks ago when i posted those vids,no more random Fsmashes for me lolz
love ike;)

still determined to be a really good ike :Dworking on it

Oh one more thing
"spot dodge into turn around jab"
I'm able to do this sometimes
still a little difficult for me though
does it take practice or is it just me? lol
Thanks XZA for clarifying

EDit:Umbreon
sorry not really sure what you mean,:/

Palpi: well against Zelda, i pretty much only Fair,as for it's hard to approach her lol
but thanks I'm working on that;)

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure you don't remember me Penta? I'm 'X' on wifi. Played Ike and other characters when you played G&W. I think your name was Mishi? Jog your memory? Or is it just me?

As for the spot dodge into jab:
From the moment you spot dodge, immediately press analog stick in which ever direction the opponent moved to when they went behind you. This essentially buffers or 'prepares' your next direction when leaving the spot dodge animation. Then start pressing 'A' for jabbing. It takes some practice, but its a good maneuver to do occasionally. As Rykoshet said, he always spot dodges before he turns around to jab, so don't get predictable with it. Sometimes you should just turn around and jab.

Of course this is strictly jab talk we're discussing. Feel free to experiment with other moves, most notable being Bair.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
OH X!!! lol
its you:p, the ike player on my FC list lol

been a while since we played:p
yea im "Mishi" who mained G&W
we always had some close matches ikevsG&W lol fun fun

and thanks i fully understand the spot dodge into jab now
sounds pretty plain and simple but needs practice
i will see how it works for me
Thank you again

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
although it comes out quickly,the attack is pretty slow
if you miss with the first strike,you're really vulnerable

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
lol are you talking out of experience=X?
haha
Haha, nope, I wish people here played Falcon. I just pointed out how bad the lag time on Dsmash is.

I've been MK Fsmashed after it though. It was charged a bit too.

Feel free to use Dsmash if you predict a roll behind you though, it's nice for that. Jab to Dsmash is also a nice idea if they don't jump out.

Top Bottom