• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well can you use ZSS Up Special for Spiking?

CrownAxe

Smash Cadet
Since it can pull an enemy downward how effect is it for spike killing? i've done it a few times but i haven't gotton it consistent yet

glitchman3000

Smash Rookie
nice tip, it does seem to work. btw, could you check out my lucario edge guard and see if it works well please?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Against multi-jump characters (Kirby, Dedede, Jigglypuff, etc.) spiking with up-special is a lost cause unless you hit them with it after they've used most of their jumps. Characters with less-than-average recovery's can fall victim to this is you time it correctly.

CrownAxe

Smash Cadet
i've found it easier to do with b sticking (or with out up tap jumping) so that you don't end up bouncing up when you up special

Bouse

Smash Ace
Generally I don't shoot for the spike, the smarter the opponent the more and more they find ways around it. Granted I play the same guy at least 5 times a week, but it makes you more aware of how you have to alternate your strategies. Scare them with it once or twice, if you can get the kill great but don't worry about it. You then have planted the notion in their head that they're gonna get spiked when in the air and off the stage. Mind games make up I'd say at least a third of this game if not more. Zero Suit is very good at messing with people's heads.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Against multi-jump characters (Kirby, Dedede, Jigglypuff, etc.) spiking with up-special is a lost cause unless you hit them with it after they've used most of their jumps. Characters with less-than-average recovery's can fall victim to this is you time it correctly.
Either that or they have to have about 150% or higher, and there are easier ways to kill them at that point.

Bouse

Smash Ace
agreed. i'd even say mindgames make up 90% of this game. there's rarely any tech skill involved.
Meh, I'd at most say half. You have technique, reflexes, timing, counter-knowledge (how to gimp your opponent), and general ability to control your temper.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I've pulled this off maybe three times. The problem with it is it requires them to be above you, right near the edge. And a player in that position can safely arirdodge without falling past the ledge. It's difficult to do. One of the only times I've done it succesfully is against Snake, who couldn't cancel his Up B fast enough.

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
It works very well at percentages usually past 100%. I prefer though that you stand at the edge and do it. Jumping off the edge and trying is a risky move nonetheless. I stand at the edge and wait then Up-B. They usually go down and "try" to recover. Its a great technique for spiking seeing as that Zamus's Dair kills you and doesn't spike.

FoolyCoolyGamer

Smash Cadet
It's kind of a great move if used the right way with great timing. As said before, using it in the air isn't the best route to go since it could accidentally tether the edge of the stage and leave you open. However, standing on the edge and using it against someone who's Up B isn't all that great(snake, Dedede), it should fare well. Otherwise, I just stick to other moves instead.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I enjoy using the up-B spike against certain characters that don't fall too fast. Position yourself so that if they airdodge the spike you jump up and uair/fair them off the screen

Top Bottom