• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How valid is "relevant to main series" as grounds for character inclusion?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think there are four factors for newcomers.

Series Success
Current Popularity
Seniority
Uniqueness

If the series is successful like Wii Fit then it's likley to get a character. If a character is currently popular it's likely to be there too. Seniority means it's a classic character that's been a part of the series for a long time. And finally if the character can offer something unique than it has a chance as well.

If a character doesn't meet any of those credentials than it's unlikely they will be considered.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ghirahim has all that going for him. So do dozens of other characters. So how else do we prioritize characters in Smash? Importance and relevancy are what drives the majority of the roster. Where does Ghirahim fit into that?

I'd be ecstatic if Ghirahim was in Smash, don't get me wrong, if very confused. But his fifteen minutes of fame are up and I acknowledge that. There's no need to claim I'm not a Ghirahim fan just because I'm looking at the bigger picture.
Where does Ghirahim fit into that? He's from one of Nintendo's TOP important IP's. As long as Zelda is relevant, there's room for mentioning every member of its cast. Importance and relevancy is what drives majority of the roster. Give dude a pass.

If Marth gets cut, I get to save 60 dollars.
If that's the case, Smashboards isn't the place for you.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If that's the case, Smashboards isn't the place for you.
Nah, I'm fine here. Brand loyalty is stupid. If I don't like a product, I won't buy it. Simple as that. Vote with your wallet, and all that.

You can still be a Smash fan and not buy a specific Smash game. To say otherwise is gatekeeping.

StormC

Smash Hero
Where does Ghirahim fit into that? He's from one of Nintendo's TOP important IP's. As long as Zelda is relevant, there's room for mentioning every member of its cast. Importance and relevancy is what drives majority of the roster. Give dude a pass.
Zelda is definitely overdue for a newcomer after arguably not having one since Melee but I would prefer someone like Ganon (see my sig!) or Impa than a one-off.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The fact Geno was even considered for Smash, while others like Ridley have been constantly shot down definitely means relevance isn't everything. Smash also makes characters relevant via including them; characters that might never be considered today like Roy or Jigglypuff persist because they were lucky thanks to circumstance.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The fact Geno was even considered for Smash, while others like Ridley have been constantly shot down definitely means relevance isn't everything. Smash also makes characters relevant via including them; characters that might never be considered today like Roy or Jigglypuff persist because they were lucky thanks to circumstance.
And because Sakurai treats Smash players like children who hoard toys.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Posts should be about a person's points, not attacking a person.
Nah, I'm fine here. Brand loyalty is stupid. If I don't like a product, I won't buy it. Simple as that. Vote with your wallet, and all that.

You can still be a Smash fan and not buy a specific Smash game. To say otherwise is gatekeeping.
Sorry.

Zelda is definitely overdue for a newcomer after arguably not having one since Melee but I would prefer someone like Ganon (see my sig!) or Impa than a one-off.
Whatever.

Edited.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would argue that in the case of one-offs, there should be a distinction made between characters that stood the test of time and those that didn’t (as much, on this site any character has some support).

Using Zelda as an example, you have characters like Midna and Skull Kid that a lot of people still want, versus, say, Ghirahim (sorry to the people who want him in, nothing against the guy). For Fire Emblem, a series defined by most characters being one-offs, you have Lyn, who has a massive fanbase, versus Corrin, who is probably the character the least amount of people would miss when cut.

My point is, if a character isn’t relevant in the games themselves, but is relevant for the Smash community, I guess it’d be a safe bet. Certainly more than cutting characters every game.

Top Bottom