• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to win aganist a Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Serisualy, HOW THE HECK do I win aganist a Ganondorf, if it's humanly impossible to approach him? Every time I try, I just get hit and die after 2 hits! EVERY TIME!

So, any advice, worst matchups? How to attack and kill him? I once 0-to deathed a bad Ganon and still lost. Even a Ganon who just spams warlock punch, I lose to. How the heck do I win?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
This would probably be better off in the cauldron of questions thread, but to start off briefly, this matchup is godawful for Kirby. Like, unplug-your-controller bad.
*Facepalm*

Kirby has an advantage aganist Ganondorf, it's just that I don't know how to fight them. What would you say the matchup ratio is in your opinion?

Also, unplugging my controller would be useless, since I use a Gamepad.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
*Facepalm*

Kirby has an advantage aganist Ganondorf, it's just that I don't know how to fight them. What would you say the matchup ratio is in your opinion?

Is this your first time around the Ganon boards I take it?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Ganon should be the one having troubles approaching. He might be strong as heck, but he's punishable and slow. His grab range is garbage. What often helps is to actually play as that character to learn him. So in this case, try playing as Ganondorf to understand how he plays, how fast his moves are, what his weaknesses are, etc. I'm not sure about the Kirby and Ganon matchup, but no matter the matchup, the best player comes out on top either way. Ganon some spacing options and approach options, like Wizard's Foot, Flame Choke, Dash Attack, Short Hop Bair, etc., so try to figure out how these work. Shielding a Wizard's Foot makes an easy punish :)

Also, if he spams Walock Punches and you lose, something's very wrong

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Serisualy, HOW THE HECK do I win aganist a Ganondorf, if it's humanly impossible to approach him? Every time I try, I just get hit and die after 2 hits! EVERY TIME!

So, any advice, worst matchups? How to attack and kill him? I once 0-to deathed a bad Ganon and still lost. Even a Ganon who just spams warlock punch, I lose to. How the heck do I win?
Ganon is rough for Kirby but it's not unwinnable, focus on staying as close as possible on Dorf, his upclose game is generally awful & that's where kirby excels, once you get in don't ever let him get away because then he outranges & outpowers Kirby pretty hard.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
*Facepalm*

Probably 55-45 Dorf, 60-40 at worst. You really have to be patient and maximize your combo/edgeguard opportunities to win. One of Dorf's easiest, but he has to be patient and abuse his superior range.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I'd put it 55-45 Kirby's favor imo. If we want to make sure Ganon doesn't find any openings we just need to make sure to maximize our spacing with fair to keep him out of range and then we go in to punish him because of his sub par frame data. Off stage is self explanatory lol we gimp Ganon easy af but be wary of Ganoncides because they'll always be looking for them. He can punish us pretty hard for one mistake but at the same time so can we because of our low percent strings and stuff so on stage is about evenish. Also ducking is good it basically invalidates all of his moveset except d-tilt (Which is fast but has punishable endlag), Down-b (Which is a huge punish if Ganon whiffs it on anybody lol) and side-b (But we can down tilt that on reaction so it's more of a mix up). All in all just space out of his range, gimp him like nobody's buisness and watch for his burst movement options and we'll do fine.

Edit: People really seem to overrate Ganon's weight and kill power in this MU lol. If he can't hit us then how can he kill? Also his weight is kind of an eh pro because we can gimp him easy af so like it's not really useful unless we're kiling him off the top. Even that's not hard because of Ganon being suprisingly floaty for a heavyweight lol. Just keep him close and get him off stage and we're golden.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Ganon is rough for Kirby but it's not unwinnable, focus on staying as close as possible on Dorf, his upclose game is generally awful & that's where kirby excels, once you get in don't ever let him get away because then he outranges & outpowers Kirby pretty hard.
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43
Quoting this because it's a perfect description of the matchup. It's a bad matchup for Kirby without a doubt, but it's not unwinnable (I'll admit I was exaggerating earlier). Whatever you do, do not try to space Ganon out. Most characters will lose a spacing war to Ganon, and Kirby is going to lose particularly hard.

To go into a bit more detail, Ganon's primary spacing tools are D-tilt, Dash Attack, N-air, B-air, and a little bit of everything else. Ganondorf loves people to be in his Dash Attack/D-tilt range (about 1/4 FD) where other people can't reach him but he can threaten people with his long range and burst movement. At the same time, Ganondorf has a terrible grab, jab and a F7 jumpsquat meaning he has a lot of trouble once people get close. As a result, your goal is to be in close range as frequently as possible (but not in Ganon's grab range of course, which isn't very hard to avoid lol, just don't literally be on top of him).

My advice is to go into training with Ganondorf and Kirby and try to get an idea of how far away Ganondorf can hit you with various attacks. Use that spacing knowledge to look for openings, and once you get Ganon where you want him try to get as much damage as you can.

As for offstage, when Ganon is recovering be very careful about edgeguarding him. Unless he's in "I have to up-B right now or I die" distance, edgeguarding him will not be easy or risk-free. His aerials all have big hitboxes and disjoint and it's really easy for him to beat out edgeguard attempts with them, especially against short-range small hitbox characters like Kirby. If he's forced to use Up-B though, go ham with D-air.

For recovering against 'Dorf, you always want to make the most of your multiple jumps, and try to avoid using Final Cutter as long as possible since it leaves you so vulnerable. Kirby's going to have to use airdodges a lot when recovering vs Ganon as none of his aerials are BEEF enough to complete with Ganon's.

edit: just noticed you asked for a matchup ratio, and I agree with my fellow Ganon's for the most part, though I think it's a bit worse for Kirby than they think. 60:40 at worst for Kirby, 55:45 at best. Rough matchup for the hero of Dreamland, but given Ganon's design you're probably going to win if you're the better player.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

You need to give us more info on how your matches Vs Ganon plays out.
Also, is it offline? WIFI lagless? WIFI heavy lag?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom