• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to train?

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Hey i was wondering how should I train to get my tech skill and reaction time up? because I rarely go on wi-fi because my connection is alright but it lags a bit so I don't go on that much and my friends are mostly busy to play, so how should I train so I know what to do in certain situations?

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
Well, the only option you have left is to play against CPUs. Granted, they're obviously not the same as playing a real person who can adjust/improvise their game as opposed to following some set, silly programming...but in terms of practicing things like fluidity of actions, timing, and spacing, they can help out and get the job done. You can even practice some mindgame techniques, of course they might not actually psyche out/confuse the CPU but it helps to know what feasible attack options you're able to execute when you do try to pull of a mindgame.

I suggest playing against one lvl 9 CPU...cause anymore, regardles if they're on a team or not, will gang up on you and that's never a fun experience...unless you're training for some team battle situations or FFAs.

Most of the time, when I don't have the option to play against people offline, I'll play some CPU matches. What I find helpful also is that if you want to practice your lightning kicks, you can just attack mainly with them during a match...of course you shouldn't get used to spamming them so frequently but it'll help you with spacing and help you identify key situations when you can pull them off. And you can always practice new techniques just to see how and when you might be able to execute them and your opponent will generally be affected.

Generally, though, playing against CPUs is more of a way to warm-up and to keep your game from degrading...it won't help you too much with advancing your game, you really have to play against other people in order to do that...preferably offline.

There are actually some CPUs that I find more challenging to fight against than others...specifically Luigi and Wario can both be incredibly annoying and surprisingly beastly at times...but I always just set the CPU to random when I play.

Villi

Smash Lord
Fighting computers thoughtfully helps a bit. Practice on level 1's to get your aim down with lightning kicks. Computers just air dodge all wrong. You won't be learning much with connecting with aerials, but you can practice noticing the various ways your attacks can be DI and chasing the DI. Be creative and just come up with things that you think might work, given a situation. Note the timing and everything, and when the situation comes up you can handle it with a cool head and do it right.

You just need to know how people react to what you're doing. If you know that someone likes to shield while they're sitting on a platform on the battlefield, waiting for you to attack them -- hit them with an uair. They'll fall off and you can get a free smash/tilt/whatever. Look for ways you can abuse stage peculiarities. Prepare yoself!

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I have a couple of things that may be useful.

Start your way up a CPU from level (whatever you're comfortable with) to level 9. This is ONLY to get used to Zelda's moves. How long her smashes take, how spaced you should be to start up an attack safely, getting used to short-hopped attacks, how to set up a lightning kick/spike, etc...

Once you're comfortable with your Zelda, run down to level 3 or so. 3 is a good number, but you can go lower if you want. Now, choose something you feel is a weakness. If you have someone to play against, play a relatively serious match, and just watch the replays. Analyse yourself. What moves do you never do? Why do you keep dying? What moves do you keep trying but don't connect with?

Practice these weaknesses against a CPU. If dodging and blocking is a problem, then play the entire match just trying to not to get hit. Don't even attack. Just don't get hit. Slowly incorporate some counters only if you know you won't get hit. Practice defense, offense, d-tilt locks, spikes, lightning kicks, setups, whatever it is you need practice with.

Once you've got the basics, practice learning tricks. If you don't know them, I can help you. Just tell me if you need to know how to do things like the Love Jump, Ledgewarping, Farore's Switch, etc...

Along the way, whenever you have the chance, play against a real person. Nothing beats the real deal. You may notice that moves that always work on CPUs (ie Din spamming, since they can't seem to dodge them), won't work on humans. Adjust accordingly.

Next, watch some vids. There is a Zelda archive here, and I would recommend the populars like RyokoYaksa and Nakayorz. Watch whatever videos you want, by whoever you want, but just always be aware of what moves they could have/should have done, and when. Zelda is all about proper timing and spacing. You need to wait for the right opportunity for many of her moves, so find a way to make them happen, and strike when they do.

A good player, no matter which character, is always in control. There is an inate human tendancy to want to do a move, and keep trying to get that move to connect. If you're one of those people that do that, then STOP. There is nothing worse than predictability. Get used to other characters. CPUs semi-work here, but again, nothing beats the real deal. Watch them and consider what possibilities they have at every turn. Being one step ahead will keep you safe and able to punish in advance.

Zelda's aerials are probably her strongest KO moves. They can all KO from low percentages. She needs this since her edge-guarding game is not the best. Good, definitely good, but not the best. This is why you need to practice setting up and landing spikes/lightning kicks. Just get in there once when offstage and they're screwed.

Make it a habit to d-tilt lock. I naturally D-smash after about 7 hits, and run in for a spike, but the choice is yours.

Finally, like I keep saying, Zelda can recover from anywhere. Absolutely anywhere. If you weren't killed by the attack, it's pretty easy to get in from above. Zelda has a really long air-dodge, so use this to your advantage and just focus on being grounded. Zelda can't work well on top.

If you're coming in from the side or below, it's crucial to know your 16-direction FW locations. You can avoid being gimped, but with faster characters, it's not always risk free.

As a last resort, make sure you know how to use the Love Jump. Remember to hit B right after jumping. Again, last resort. That way if you mess up, well, there's nothing you could have done. Use FW afterwards for a safe arrival on solid ground.

That's pretty much all from me. I probably missed some things, but oh well. You'll be fine. Just know when and how to use which moves.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I would recommend playing against lvl.8's lvl 9's tend to do things that are humanly impossible such as power shielding and reacting to things that normal humans probably couldn't react to in time. Level 8's while not being quite like humans play more like humans.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Yeah thanks I will play like that now when I can get on the Wii also the only technique I want you to elaborate on is that Farore's Switch? I don't know what that is?

I know what you mean about level 9's a few times teh comp powersheilded and then he grabbed me in the middle of my attack and then I said WTF how the hell can you do that.

So yeah I tend to play against level 7's because I have never met anyone who can react that fast to an attack let alone grab me in the middle of an attack I like the Nayru's Jump it's cool it saved my butt a lot.

Also what other brickwall techniques does Zelda have besides Din's Fire Spamming

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Well, as far as I know I'm the only one that does this. Some people say "Oh, it's too easily sheilded" and whatnot but it works for me.

When your opponent is at, say, 40% or so, jump off the stage to the right, align yourself properly, and FW directly to the left of the center of their body while they wait for you at the edge.

The knockback sends them off the stage and downwards. Most of the time they have no idea what just happened, so while they try to recover, run right off the edge, jump if necessarily to position yourself correctly, and spike.

I know, I know, there are many ways to avoid this, and FW is easily punishable, but I like to take risks, and most of the time, surprisingly, this works. You only have a few seconds to get the spike in, so practice for a while.

Satyrium

Smash Cadet
Well, as far as I know I'm the only one that does this. Some people say "Oh, it's too easily sheilded" and whatnot but it works for me.

When your opponent is at, say, 40% or so, jump off the stage to the right, align yourself properly, and FW directly to the left of the center of their body while they wait for you at the edge.

The knockback sends them off the stage and downwards. Most of the time they have no idea what just happened, so while they try to recover, run right off the edge, jump if necessarily to position yourself correctly, and spike.

I know, I know, there are many ways to avoid this, and FW is easily punishable, but I like to take risks, and most of the time, surprisingly, this works. You only have a few seconds to get the spike in, so practice for a while.
*runs to tv and turns on wii and gets energy drink*

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
THE CPU'S CAN HELP YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN AND CANT DO. SOMETIMES THE LV9 CPU'S GET OUT OF STUFF YOU DIDNT KNOW WAS POSSIBLE TO GET OUT OF.(MAY BE)

MY MAINS BRAWL CODE 4038 5688 0779

Top Bottom