• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Stop Being A Noob in Brawl

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
Nothing needs to be fixed.
If you can't take advice without the advice being sugar coated, you're not ready to get good at this game, not to mention you've got personal problems.
He wasn't sugar-coating it, obviously. He was making it more appealing to the target audience.
It doesn't matter if you're trying to make money or not, if you're trying to achieve something out of a certain audience you need to specifically try and capture THEIR attention/persuade THEM. All Mcl0v1n has done is make it more appealing, make you sound less arrogant, so more people will listen.

mcl0v1n

Smash Rookie
Nothing needs to be fixed.
If you can't take advice without the advice being sugar coated, you're not ready to get good at this game, not to mention you've got personal problems.
I thought the advice you gave was excellent, and hoped to help you help the noobs by making the guide less affronting.
The fact that you reply so aggressively to my attempts to improve your guide at the linguisitc level, implies that this is not aimed to help noobs, but to further your own status, as well as making me wonder if it is actually you who has the mentioned personal problems.
If you actually put this up because you wanted to help people, then you would try to make this piece as accessible to all noobs and newbs as possible, and at least discuss the notion of making some amendments even if you didn't agree with it or actually intend to. As it is, some would find it offensive, and to others it would read like a self-congratulatory piece of arrogance. I appreciate that there needs to be an emphasis on the fact that the noob can and must improve, but there is no need for such abusive terms as 'you suck'.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I thought the advice you gave was excellent, and hoped to help you help the noobs by making the guide less affronting.
The fact that you reply so aggressively to my attempts to improve your guide at the linguisitc level, implies that this is not aimed to help noobs, but to further your own status, as well as making me wonder if it is actually you who has the mentioned personal problems.
If you actually put this up because you wanted to help people, then you would try to make this piece as accessible to all noobs and newbs as possible, and at least discuss the notion of making some amendments even if you didn't agree with it or actually intend to. As it is, some would find it offensive, and to others it would read like a self-congratulatory piece of arrogance. I appreciate that there needs to be an emphasis on the fact that the noob can and must improve, but there is no need for such abusive terms as 'you suck'.
lmfao. your logic is stellar. "furthering my own status"? wtf does that even mean.

look this guide is helping some people. if some people are too petty that they can't take advice unless its sugar coated. whatever, that's not my problem. find another thread.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
i'd class myself as a half noob but i think that if everyone fought with honnor then brawl would be more entertaining and less annoying.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'd class myself as a half noob but i think that if everyone fought with honnor then brawl would be more entertaining and less annoying.
Its only annoying because you BELIEVE in "fighting with honor". If you realize that people are just playing to win, and deal with it. It's not annoying anymore. Not in Brawl at least.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
Its only annoying because you BELIEVE in "fighting with honor". If you realize that people are just playing to win, and deal with it. It's not annoying anymore. Not in Brawl at least.
Saying what I did i do get what you mean. But i do think that people who just play to win forget what the game is meant to be about fun.

EVERYONE is a noob in brawl so its impossible to stop.
Agreed.

Go play Melee instead of posting.

You too.

And to answer topic, ummm.. play more.
Too bad he's right.

ROFL. People's arrogance here amuses me. There are so many things in this post that are pathetic.
You honestly think someone who is less experienced will see this and think 'oh yeah, I AM a n00b and the game is SUPPOSED to be played the way these apparently best players play it in videos. I always suck because I don't aim my standards high. I must have got caught up having fun to realise the importance of raising myself up in the eyes of 'competitive' smash players as the most important thing I should be doing in this game'...

...no I don't think so.

For your first comment... 'You clearly need to play more because I haven't heard of you'
Ahahahaha arrogance to the extreme again. You believe that only those people that YOU have HEARD OF are people who 'play the game enough'. AND you think that you can decide how much someone 'needs to play'.
Oh wait there's more.
You ALSO think that you can decide 'how the game is SUPPOSED to be played'. This is the most arrogant comment yet. Believe it or not, some people's reason to play this game is to have fun! And WHOAH, they can have fun without being 'competitive' ie. without living up to the standards of a bunch of arrogant tools (I am yet to meet a 'competitive' player whose arrogance fits on my screen). Sure, your idea of fun might involve studying videos and practicing specific techniques over and over, but not everyone else has the same idea. How the game is 'supposed' to be played?
I'm going to put this out there - I think the game is 'supposed' to be played however the player finds it most enjoyable. I dunno if anyone will agree with me, just thought I'd put it out there though.
i am in huge agreement with this. I love smash, but they seriously have some of the worst players in terms of arrogence, rudeness, and generall *******es. I also love how if you aren't well known you aren't good. I had never heard of smash boards until about two monthes after brawl came out, and when mellee was here, i never lost a single tournament. yet i didn't have a "name"

ppl need to be alot more respectfull on these forums, and in general.
Lol at the noobs who don't know who Zhu is.

Fail. I don't need t contribute to this thread. It's been said before. People just have a tendency to ***** more when it's posted in these forums.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I'd have to not give validity to the guy is the way he said things. I don't need the guide myself but if I did, I'd ignore him because generally I don't take people seriously when they talk like that. Most of the time they aren't in the mindset of helping, they're in the mindset of "this is what's right, if you disagree then you're ******** and from now on anything you say is ********". Doesn't matter if he's right or not at that point, half the people he could have been helping will just ignore him.

And you don't need to know who Zhu is to be a good smasher and contribute a lot to the boards, also, as I said above, people don't complaning just because it's "these forums", it's for those reasons, which they have already pointed out that it's those reasons.

Brod, I'm kind of like you, I still play with my own rule set of honor. I have a clause on it now though, if someone does anything that I think gives them a dishonorable edge, I'm allowed to do whatever I feel neccesary to level the playing field again. There are very few things outside playing honorably already though, and really you don't have to worry about it until you start going to 20+ person pay tournaments.

Equus

Smash Cadet
Saying what I did i do get what you mean. But i do think that people who just play to win forget what the game is meant to be about fun.
That depends on what everyone's definition of "fun" is. Some people find that randomness in matches and fighting with honor where "everybody wins" are fun. But many competitive gamers don't agree. Their version of fun is being able to improve their game and show off their skills against others. Playing to win doesn't mean "not playing for fun"; playing to win IS fun.

Read the 8th paragraph in Sirlin's "Playing to Win" article.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Playing to win isn't always fun, what if playing as sonic is fun to you, and playing metaknight isn't? Doesn't matter how fun winning is if you do it with a character you don't like. People tend to cite Sirlin when they don't have a decent argument of their own, not to say I don't think you do, but people throw it around so much that it's a cliche and has lost a lot of it's meaning.

There are also lots of ways to do both to an extent, I play 4 characters, Pikachu, Ike, Sonic, and D3. Pikachu is my high tier fun character that can win most high skill high difficulty matches, Ike is my team tournament beast, plus team tournies are just fun and help keep me playing the game. Sonic is my mid low tier fun character, if someone is less skilled than me I can generally stomp them and have fun doing it with sonic. Finally, D3 is my "metabuster", The only way I play D3 is anti-metaknight, I know it's a negative matchup, but the way I play him, and my experience in the match up makes up for it.

I don't play metaknight, not because I think it's cheap, but I do think it's an easier way out, and it takes away from my other characters to use him. Am I going to lose more because I don't main meta exclusively? Yeah, is that playing to win? No, but it's definitely not "items on everyone wins" either. In my scene I'm one of the top players despite the obstacles I've set for myself by not playing metaknight, and I'm okay with it, I don't need to hide behind "play to win" to justify anything I do, and I still win, which is plenty good enough for me. I really don't think people that play like me deserve any criticism for it either, we're not neccesarily less skilled players, (it takes more skill to win with a lower tier), and unless we start spouting off with "you just won cause you play metaknight" or " you're just cheap and use glitches to win" I really don't think we should get flack for anything.

I'm fine with not dropping my characters/playstyle to win more often, and I'm a far cry from being a noob, so I really don't think that should be a hinging point of this argument, or even an emphasized one.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I don't agree that people should change their playstyle is they want to stop being a noob. They just have to stop complaining about the 'cheap' things other players use. If you can't handle it either switch to a character or playstyle who can do the same, or just quite brawl. Complaining won't save you.

This is coming from a Wario main who has faced a lot of chaingrabbing today, so stop complaining.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
its Only Annoying Because You Believe In "fighting With Honor". If You Realize That People Are Just Playing To Win, And Deal With It. It's Not Annoying Anymore. Not In Brawl At Least.
Omg Finally Thank You! Im So Tired Of People With This Honor Bull****!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Playing to win isn't always fun, what if playing as sonic is fun to you, and playing metaknight isn't? Doesn't matter how fun winning is if you do it with a character you don't like. People tend to cite Sirlin when they don't have a decent argument of their own, not to say I don't think you do, but people throw it around so much that it's a cliche and has lost a lot of it's meaning.

Sirlin summed up this entire thing so efficiently that no one else needs to ever argue about this ever again. Yet people do. That's why people who actually know what they're talking about just say, peep Sirlin, he already covered this. No one has anything new to contribute, just peep Sirlin. He already covered it. Why should anyone come up with an argument if Sirlin already covered it. Who cares if its a cliche, it's CORRECT.

And I already mentioned in the article, but in most cases, YOU WON'T WIN if you're not having fun. It goes hand in hand. I dont know where everyone got this idea of playing to win you have to sacrifice fun. Competitive play IS FUN. That's why we do it. We PREFER IT this way. We're not "sacrificing fun" so we can win. I don't play Metaknight either, because it's not fun. And guess what, I don't win with metaknight, either.

I'm not suggesting anyone to "play dishonorably", I'm suggesting that you wake up and realize that a "code of honor" in a video game is ****ing stupid and arbitrary. And once you do that, you'll HAVE MORE FUN. Competitive players know for a fact that we have more fun and get more fulfillment out of the game than non-competitive players, for this very reason.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Omg Finally Thank You! Im So Tired Of People With This Honor Bull****!
I'm probably stirring up a hornets nest with this, but there are three things that annoy be about the Smash community.

1) Tourney players that insist they know the only way the game is supposed to be played, and who slam casuals for thinking different.

2) Casuals who insist that any semblance to playing to win is wrong and misguided, and as a result slam tourney players.

3) That the two above descriptions are assumed to be the way all tourney players and casuals, respectively, are. Vocal minorities can sometimes be annoying.

My point being: Can we try not to to take ourselves so seriously all the time. Maybe just for one day? Give it a try... the number of arguments like this will certainly go down.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
hey you dont really need to go to tourneys to not be a noob, i wish i could but i cant.

1:tourneys are scarce where i live

2:Im 15 no car and even so its to expensive to buy gas

i have however been able to track tourney winners and beat them

30% in real life

70% online

Anyway honor is a bunch of BS i hate it, hate it, hate it when noobs call me a noob after i pwn them because "I lack honor"

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
They aren't taking about real honor, their talking about the fake one they make up to use as an excuse for losing. That's not what I was talking about, and there *is* honor in competitive tourneys, and it's not just how you play, it's how you act. My sense of honor is that if I know I can beat someone, I switch to Sonic to have *more* fun, and chances are, the other person has more fun too. Inversely, if I play a metaknight I switch to a D3 playstyle that only exists to kill metaknights, everything else, pikachu.

If I beat someone, I try to teach them why, I always shake hands, I *never* call someone a noob seriously unless they sucks AND they act like they're better than me. That's my definition of honor, and so far it hasn't lost me a match, and people respect me in my scene because of it.

You can have both, don't blindly say there's no honor and people just hide behind the word, and don't call someone a scrub just because agree with Sirlin (not everyone does, and no, it's not just because they're scrubs either).

I'm competitive, I win/place in tournies, and I have an honor code. Don't say "we" in an argument because you don't even know who "you" is and in fact might be a part of your "we".

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about #6.

What if you main MK? He's a pretty **** offensive character and I don't know how to play defensive with him.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
If I beat someone, I try to teach them why, I always shake hands, I *never* call someone a noob seriously unless they sucks AND they act like they're better than me. That's my definition of honor, and so far it hasn't lost me a match, and people respect me in my scene because of it.
Its THIS kind of honor that is needed. Not the whole "Well I don't do *this* or do *this* (in a match) because its honorable", that's stupid.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
They aren't taking about real honor, their talking about the fake one they make up to use as an excuse for losing. That's not what I was talking about, and there *is* honor in competitive tourneys, and it's not just how you play, it's how you act. My sense of honor is that if I know I can beat someone, I switch to Sonic to have *more* fun, and chances are, the other person has more fun too. Inversely, if I play a metaknight I switch to a D3 playstyle that only exists to kill metaknights, everything else, pikachu.

You can have both, don't blindly say there's no honor and people just hide behind the word, and don't call someone a scrub just because agree with Sirlin (not everyone does, and no, it's not just because they're scrubs either).

I'm competitive, I win/place in tournies, and I have an honor code. Don't say "we" in an argument because you don't even know who "you" is and in fact might be a part of your "we".
so true, and are you talking about when they say "oh its online it doesnt count for anything" god i hate those noobs, i dont call people noobs unless i beat them AND they areb being a ***

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm probably stirring up a hornets nest with this, but there are three things that annoy be about the Smash community.

1) Tourney players that insist they know the only way the game is supposed to be played, and who slam casuals for thinking different.
Only a small minority of people are like this. In reality, all competitive players are saying is that they way we play literally, and demonstrable IS THE BEST WAY to play IF you want to WIN--which everyone wants to do, and if you say you don't, I don't believe you. We get frustrated with casuals because they THINK they can win playing the way they do. But we know for a fact that they're wrong.

And when we come down on the "honor" thing. its because an "honor code" is so arbitrary that it make no sense to preach to people about how they should play. Competitive players can't be accused of this because we play, for the most part, WITHOUT limitations. So we play the game the way it is presented to us. People who play with an honor code arbitrarily make up invisible rules (that, ironically since casual always accuse us of playing in a way the developers didn't intend, the developers of the game never meant these "honor" rules to be followed) that are completely based on you personally not being able to defeat a particular strategy. it's never REALLY based on "honor" its based on YOU not being good enough to overcome a strategy. Hordes of people are trying to get Metaknight banned, because THEY can't beat him. It would be a different thing if he simply couldn't be beat under equal circumstances (like, say Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo), but there are many people, and I know many of them personally, who CAN beat metaknight just as much as any other character. That why we hate the whole "honor" hogwash, because thats what it is, hogwash.

My point being: Can we try not to to take ourselves so seriously all the time. Maybe just for one day? Give it a try... the number of arguments like this will certainly go down.
It's not about taking ourselves seriously, it's about stating facts. I dont really understand why casual players even bother coming in threads like this. It's like you don't care about being competitive, why even join the discussion?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
hey you dont really need to go to tourneys to not be a noob, i wish i could but i cant.

1:tourneys are scarce where i live

2:Im 15 no car and even so its to expensive to buy gas

i have however been able to track tourney winners and beat them

30% in real life

70% online

Anyway honor is a bunch of BS i hate it, hate it, hate it when noobs call me a noob after i pwn them because "I lack honor"
Online really, really, doesn't count.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I have a question about #6.

What if you main MK? He's a pretty **** offensive character and I don't know how to play defensive with him.
Firstly, if you're winning, you don't need to change up your strategy obviously. But if you're not winning with metaknight, you're either being TOO aggressive, or too predictable. Metaknight is the KING of baiting. You can pretty much do the move of choice preferably an autocanceled aerial, and immediately follow with a d-smash, when they try to capitalize on what they thought was a mistake. Keep yourself out of shieldgrab range. You can slash all you want just pay attention to the space between you and your opponent, and metaknight's range is among the best in the game so this shouldn't be a problem. If you have vids or more specific issues I can answer this better.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Wait.... your sig is "Not changing this sig until I win a Brawl tourney".... please don't tell me you're going on about all this and have almost 2000 posts on this board and you haven't even won a single tourney. I hope that's just bad wording and you *mean* "until I win ANOTHER Brawl tourney".... If you've never won a tourney your credibility just went out the window for giving people "advice"...

I'm going to assume you mean "another" just for the benefit of the doubt. And you disreguarded a lot of what people are saying. People can be both competitive and worry about having fun (and even have an honor code), you're assuming winning tournaments is the most fun you can have in Brawl, which isn't true since fun changes for each person, and there isn't a point in playing to win, if winning isn't the most fun thing you can do.

Not everyone wants to win more than they want to have fun, and sometimes the two aren't the same thing (don't john and say "well then they're just scrubs", they come in all flavors"). Personally I have fun competing as specific characters, some of those characters aren't very tournament viable, yes I still sink time into them to the point where I can beat people just under my skill level overall with them. That's not playing/practicing to win, but it's more fun than playing nothing but my main (or dropping my main for someone with less bad matchups) just to re-assure myself of my chances at a tournament.

And by the way, if people really wanted to play to win 100% of the time, and that really was the best mindset, infinite dimensional cape wouldn't be banned, and the entire match would be about the meta getting the first hit then disappearing for 8 minuets, because that would win every time. It's not black and white, and people at the top still have rules to make things more fun/less unbalanced, those distictions are no different from the ones people put on themselves. It's not "hogwash" and not everyone uses that word to hide from something they can't overcome.

Please read a bit more intently, I already said I denounce people who hide behind the word "honor", people who really have it don't, and they don't impose it on others, they realizes it's something they uphold for themselves in order to promote a better gaming atmosphere for the people around them, even if they don't agree with it. Since you don't agree with me, I don't expect you to understand or even care enough to try. You'll probably make a quippy one-liner ignoring most of what I've said, but that's okay, because as I've state twice so far, anyone can win, play for fun, and have honor all at once if they know what they're doing., you don't have to abandon any of those to do well, or break a plateau.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I agree about being able to have all three at once.

I play Pit and I could simply spam arrows intelligently all day and ledge camp all day which would be considered playing to win. But that is really boring. I'd rather challenge myself by trying to play a "respectful" Pit by using all of his moves and have fun with things like that.

Dont get be wrong, I have no problem being cheap. When it comes to tourneys, "cheapness" FTW.

But when Im playing friendlies, I enjoy having a sense of "honor" as a default and progress towards "cheap" tactics if I feel the need. I feel that if I can beat someone with "honor" as in "make them feel completely destroyed by the full potential of the character" instead of making them feel "gayed", I do that. Its more fun that way. I also enjoy making ppl feel gayed with cheap tactics during friendlies as well. A 1 min match is also very satisfying. Sometimes my goal is to make them so frustrated with cheap tactics that it forces them to leave.

To reiterate, I dont mind picking up MK and destroying (ppl around school are so so, but my so so MK does the trick), I dont mind arrow spamming till someone is frustrated, and I dont mind CGing ppl all day. I just like playing to learn as a default. Tournament, of course anything goes. No mercy. Play to win!

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I'm reactive when it comes to picking my style of play, if tossing restraints out the window is what's called for, that's what I do. But if I'm playing someone I know I can beat, I play to have more fun, give them a better experience, and hopefully teach them something.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Only a small minority of people are like this. In reality, all competitive players are saying is that they way we play literally, and demonstrable IS THE BEST WAY to play IF you want to WIN--which everyone wants to do, and if you say you don't, I don't believe you. We get frustrated with casuals because they THINK they can win playing the way they do. But we know for a fact that they're wrong.

And when we come down on the "honor" thing. its because an "honor code" is so arbitrary that it make no sense to preach to people about how they should play. Competitive players can't be accused of this because we play, for the most part, WITHOUT limitations. So we play the game the way it is presented to us. People who play with an honor code arbitrarily make up invisible rules (that, ironically since casual always accuse us of playing in a way the developers didn't intend, the developers of the game never meant these "honor" rules to be followed) that are completely based on you personally not being able to defeat a particular strategy. it's never REALLY based on "honor" its based on YOU not being good enough to overcome a strategy. Hordes of people are trying to get Metaknight banned, because THEY can't beat him. It would be a different thing if he simply couldn't be beat under equal circumstances (like, say Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo), but there are many people, and I know many of them personally, who CAN beat metaknight just as much as any other character. That why we hate the whole "honor" hogwash, because thats what it is, hogwash.

It's not about taking ourselves seriously, it's about stating facts. I dont really understand why casual players even bother coming in threads like this. It's like you don't care about being competitive, why even join the discussion?

ya they never said they were banning meta knight because of honor.....really they just came flat and said "hes too strong" yes people can beat meta knight but they suck too hard too kill him

also about the online thing, are you saying that if i sent a scrub to fight you online you would have a good chance of losing because "its all luck" now i understand where your coming from but ussually you can get the general picture online

player A, Player B

10 stock no items FD

Player A wins with 9 stock

i think we figured out whos the scrub and whos not, just saying you can ussually get the general skill level from online

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
In the Grab -> Attack section, you say that in are those few percentages that can make the difference. But you know what can really make the difference? The power your other moves get back. If you pummel (thats how it called) 4 times, your Fsmash may be charged again and that may be that little bit that you need to kill your opponent.

kupo15

Smash Hero
player A, Player B

10 stock no items FD

i think we figured out whos the scrub and whos not, just saying you can ussually get the general skill level from online
I have to disagree with this. Online IMO really doesn't count. But that all depends on whats important to you.

Online is totally different than offline. The timing is way different. If a really good player who never plays online vs a scrub-esk player who only plays online, the scrub would have the upper hand because he is used to the timing differences. Not to mention, certain character like Ike naturally improve and others like Pit naturally do worse online.

So if online is the only thing important to you because of limitations (under age, no car for tourneys and stuff), then thats cool. But as an offline player, online skill means nothing to me because and beating me online doesn't prove that your a better player than me because of how different the two styles of play are. Everyone who asks to play me online gets the same response, "Your going to be disappointed playing me online because I suck at it."

Online and Offline are a world of difference apart and comparing skill is like comparing apples to oranges.

D

Deleted member

Wait.... your sig is "Not changing this sig until I win a Brawl tourney".... please don't tell me you're going on about all this and have almost 2000 posts on this board and you haven't even won a single tourney. I hope that's just bad wording and you *mean* "until I win ANOTHER Brawl tourney".... If you've never won a tourney your credibility just went out the window for giving people "advice"...
Wait, so you have to have won a brawl tournament to be credible? A person who hasnt won one isnt an extremely good player??? You need to win a tournament for advice to be credible???

Many great players havent won tournies. Why dont you take into account that there may be a person better than you at every tournament you go to.

*facepalm*

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
See this here? This is a big part of the reason why most casuals and tourney players don't get along. This mentality of "Our way is right, and the reason we don't get along with you is that you don't play it our way and think it's ok to play that way." At best it's annoying, at worst it's conceited, especially when you take into account how customizable Smash is.

Funnily enough, most players I know in person don't have this mentality, but most of the players I know of online do (but then again, players without this mentality don't post on threads like this, or engage in flamewars, so... yeah...).

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Burnstocks, he's commenting on tournament mentality, and being the best you can as a method involved with the "play 2 win" mindset. If he hasn't been able to win a tournament with his own advice yet, that hurts the credibility of his advice. I don't see how you could fail to see that, yes, you do need to have won a tournament for your advice on winning tournaments to be credible. I'm not even saying a big or well known tournament either.

Either way, I went on to engage him as if he had won a tournament. I'm assuming you actually read my post instead of reading a few lines and steamrolling the rest, but you really didn't bother trying to refute anything I came back with.

And people want to ban metaknight because they feel he skews tournaments, and hurts the metagame, basically a sort of monopoly. People claim if you're playing to win there's not a reason to play anyone else, since no one else has *no* bad matchups. But as I've said many time before, it's too early to tell if metaknight has that kind of effect on the scene, or if an appropriate response *would* be banning him.

I think that takes care of everything...

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
really? i barely notice a difference between online and offline, perhaps its due to my lack of lag, although im getting a new connection so i may see some change

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
First of all brawl came out in March, so my post count doesn't matter seeing as how I registered years ago. Secondly, you can be great a game and not come in first place. I could sit here and list off hundreds of great players in any competitive sport/game/video game etc that have never won first place. Secondly, I have never won a tournament but i have won second and third, and I have finished in the upper half of nearly every tournament I've ever entered. The title of this thread is "how to stop being a noob", not "how to win first place in every tournament you enter". If you'd read the post, I'm pretty sure I covered that.

People can be both competitive and worry about having fun (and even have an honor code),
didn't say they couldn't
you're assuming winning tournaments is the most fun you can have in Brawl,
didn't say that

Not everyone wants to win more than they want to have fun,
didn't say that
Personally I have fun competing as specific characters, some of those characters aren't very tournament viable,
all characters are tournament viable

And by the way, if people really wanted to play to win 100% of the time, and that really was the best mindset, infinite dimensional cape wouldn't be banned, and the entire match would be about the meta getting the first hit then disappearing for 8 minuets, because that would win every time.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates-guide/what-should-be-banned/

You're putting alot of words in my mouth, and you dont' really seem to understand anything I've been postin about.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
See this here? This is a big part of the reason why most casuals and tourney players don't get along. This mentality of "Our way is right, and the reason we don't get along with you is that you don't play it our way and think it's ok to play that way." At best it's annoying, at worst it's conceited, especially when you take into account how customizable Smash is.

Funnily enough, most players I know in person don't have this mentality, but most of the players I know of online do (but then again, players without this mentality don't post on threads like this, or engage in flamewars, so... yeah...).
Our way IS right--if you want to win. It's logically and mathematically provable, regardless of how much of a bunch your panties are in because of it. No one's trying to be conceited, I could give a **** what any one here thinks about me. Its about stating facts. A person who does the things in the opening post will ALWAYS win against a person who doesn't do those things in a match where both players have an equal shot at winning. 100% of the time. It's testable, demonstratable, its a fact.
If you don't believe that, you believe something that is not true, and because of that we ridicule you. It's the same as not believing that 2+2=4. If someone made a thread saying that, you'd go in there and tell him he was wrong.

ya they never said they were banning meta knight because of honor.....really they just came flat and said "hes too strong" yes people can beat meta knight but they suck too hard too kill him

also about the online thing, are you saying that if i sent a scrub to fight you online you would have a good chance of losing because "its all luck" now i understand where your coming from but ussually you can get the general picture online

player A, Player B

10 stock no items FD

There are videos on youtube of me getting my *** ***** over and over online by a guy who I'm pretty sure I'm better than. You could say that I'm just not good at online play, which would be true, but a huge part of what makes a good player good is his timing, and online throws that out of the window. I play online and for example, I'll predict a move coming and press shield but since there is lag, the shield doesn't come up in time and i lose a stock. Or I see an opening to do a quick short hop down-air, but the lag craps out on me as i'm inputing the jump, so the jump doesn't register and I retardedly do a downsmash instead. that stuff happens all the time nullifying the whole match as a competitive barometer.

Top Bottom