• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to soft hit?

Foxco

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've been wondering for ages how to get the soft hits on nair and bair specifically, but in general how to get soft hits? Is it just the timing of the move hitting or is it where the hitbox hits? is see westballz,pp and mango do this all the time but i can't seem to get them and if i do its unintentional. Any advice?

trilok

Smash Apprentice
Generally, the strong hit is during the beginning animations of the move and the soft hits are the later frames.

BirdLordMasterBeak

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been wondering for ages how to get the soft hits on nair and bair specifically, but in general how to get soft hits? Is it just the timing of the move hitting or is it where the hitbox hits? is see westballz,pp and mango do this all the time but i can't seem to get them and if i do its unintentional. Any advice?
Like trilok said, the weaker hit is in the later frames of the attack. What you do is you line yourself up with your enemies projected path and use an early-nair/bair so that you hit them near the end of the move. It takes a while to get used to it but it is AMAZING for comboing

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
For everything except Doc's nair I think, moves are weaker the longer they are out. For example, Falco's nair hits the hardest on the first frame the hitbox is active and hits the weakest just before the hitbox disappears. This is also the case for moves with temporary hitboxes that disappear after only a few frames. An example of that is that the last slash of Link's upb is only strong enough to break a bomb if it hits during the first frame it is active even though it lasts only I think 4 frames.
There are also multiple hitboxes on most moves because each hitbox is a perfect circle. Sometimes, these hitboxes have very different properties. Half of Marth's dair will send you up and the other half will send you down depending on which hitbox circle intersects your opponent's hurtbox circles.
Some characters have decided sweetspots, where one hitbox does the same general thing as the sourspots, but does everything better, like marth's tipper fsmash or whatever.
Doc's nair increases in power the longer it's out, making it a very important exception to these rules.
Falco's fsmash has a weird hitbox inside Falco (not on his legs) that pops people more upward than the other hitboxes and can be used to extend combos.
Now for your original question, which I think was about how to do weak nairs and bairs. These moves do not have sweet and sour spots, so the only way to hit with a weaker version of them is to use the move and then hit with it during the later frames that the move is active.
I hope this was helpful and not too wordy.

Foxco

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone for your replys, they all made perfect sense! I will try to practice hitting on the last few frames the moves are out!

Top Bottom