• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to shffmc; 6 steps to succesful shffmcing!

co_and_me

Smash Lord
So wheres the footage of you doing it at the end? I mean the steps all make sense. I have looked at it before. I just didnt see a huge aplication for it. Anyway can you do it now?

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
lol no i cant, as a matter of fact this is my first day of shffmcing, BUT i have been 1 frame away over 15 times (in normal speed of course).
this is beside the point, because its barely possible to learn it in 1 day (even if you play all 24 hours in the day) unless you already have significant experience in shffmc, platform canceling on pokemon stadium, or EXTREME finger speed. however i could add application in slow-mo and speed it up to look like its normal speed.
speaking of which if this helps you guys significantly i could add this to the contest as my 2nd vid.

oh i almost forgot to mention it doesnt say this clearly in the vid but the finger movement from platform mcing is nearly the same as shffmc:
in platform canceling you short hop (missle) to get to the top one then press down and missle
in shffmc you short hop (no missle) press down (fast fall) and then missle

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
you realize that this is much harder than swd right?
either way i was just trying to help out guys who are trying to do shffmc

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
shffmc is not "by default" harder than swd. They are both difficult techniques and need to be practiced to be good at. To me, shffmc is easier to train to because you can build up to it (start off with full jump ffmc, get faster, then do shffmc) but that's just my opinion.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
well the thing here is that SWD is just a timing thing. SHFFMC is not only a timing thing but a speed issue as well. This does infact make shffmc harder than swd. Because you have to know the exact timing to FF in the mc. Then you have to immediatly shoot the missle. You have like 2-3 frames of error. Which is typically used in the time it takes you smash missle. From hitting the FF to actually pressing Left or Right you typically use up that error. Thus making SHFFMC more difficult than SWD.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
randall, chill on the post whoring...

nova, i appreciate you efforts and all to teach other people how to do something. obviously that vid took time and effort (no sarcasm). But advising people on how to do something when you can't do it yourself does take away your credibility. I can't drive a standard transmission car. But i bet i could make a guide on how to do it. I know how, but i can't, therefore i wouldn't want to teach someone else. make sense? i'll try your steps on your guide either way though.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I've spent time practicing both, I guess it just comes down to opinion. shffmc came much eaiser to me than swd. i still can't swd regularly, if I manage to do it multiple times it's a fluke. Doing shfffmc is easier to practice (for me) because I have more cues on how to improve on how to do it (hence, learned how to do it better). If I was dropping bombs I was either pressing B to early or not moving my finger quick enough. If I don't FF, I hit down too early. There are plenty of other cues, but you get the idea. With swd if I miss I have no clue why. I can't see, hear, or rationalize why it didn't work. That's all.

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
well samus247, i know what you mean.
as for the opinions mine was:
a COMPLETE noob who just started playing can do swd without konowing how he bombs, decides to go left and changes his mind at the last second and BANG we have swd.
shffmc, on the other hand will take skill and practice.
heck ive never seen hugs oro or wes shffmc have you?
of course for some poeple the shffmc finger speed requirements is met natrually while the same person can never get the swd timing right.

Sleepyman

Smash Journeyman
doing it in lightning melee is pointless, waste of time. and u should know ur stuff better before doing a guide on it. ur still in ur learning stage, u shouldnt be teaching.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Make it 4 steps.
1) SH in 2X in training.
2) SHFF as soon as possible in 2X.
3) Platform missile cancel on PS in 2X.
4) SFM in normal speed.

Even with 2X and platform canceling, the timing is still easier than the shffmc, so while I'm able to do the PS missile cancel practically everytime, I can only shffmc about 10% of the time currently.

EDIT** That's only with like 1/2 an hour of practice though, so I might get it down better soon.

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
yea, thats because you dont ff when you ps mc.
either way what you just said was nearly exaxtly the same as step 5 and 6
step 5 sh in lightning
shff in lightning
ps mc in lightning
step 6: shffmc in normal
p.s. which is faster lightning or 2x ?

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
Sleepyman said:
doing it in lightning melee is pointless, waste of time. and u should know ur stuff better before doing a guide on it. ur still in ur learning stage, u shouldnt be teaching.
really? why is that? lightning melee builds up fnger speed.
so what if ive never bothered to ask wether lightning or 2x is faster, its not a major thing that any good player needs to know, and in my opinion it doesnt even qualify as a minor thing.

Jasona

Smash Ace
I thought about making a guide once... but when have I ever won any of my matches LOLOLO... :cry:

if you're serious about learning to shuffle missles, then I have a few practical suggestions
1 -> only practice in normal speed
2 -> the drills that you practice should only include techniques that you can use. for example, walking off of a platform (any platform... well, most LOL @ FOD low platforms) and FFing a missle or not FFing and firing a homing. You might also want to try falling through a platform and FFing a missle.
That way, when you're finally able to shuffle missles and you learn firsthand the horrible, devastating truth, you're overall game will have improved and you won't feel as though you've wasted your time

Watty

Smash Lord
hugs makes a valid point

also the move is way to risky 2 do in a tourny play, when ur in a match and the pressure is on would u really want to put everything on a shffmc?

just do short hop mc and full jump fast fall mc they arent that much longer

Aftermath

Smash Champion
lightning = 1.5X normal speed
2.0X = 2.0X normal speed

HugS, I say let him keep making guides. No one else seems to ever go through any trouble to try and provide samus info, and eventually someone corrects him in the thread or offers ways to improve and at least some sort of contribution is made that way.

Jasona, I also tried the walk off-FF-missile technique like as soon as I saw your video of you actually SFMing, but the thing I found was that timing when I walked off or feel though (to hit down and FF again) was entirely different and didn't help at all with teh technique. I'm not sure how you managed to get so talented doing it that way, but the lightning or whatever does seem better conceptually, since when you fall down and shoot the missile, it is the same control stick movements, so it's just building up the speed. Granted, PS platforms are rather high and even with 2X it's not as fast, but, using my limited experience between the two techniques, I'd say 2X is more effective.

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
Jasona said:
I thought about making a guide once... but when have I ever won any of my matches LOLOLO... :cry:

if you're serious about learning to shuffle missles, then I have a few practical suggestions
1 -> only practice in normal speed
2 -> the drills that you practice should only include techniques that you can use. for example, walking off of a platform (any platform... well, most LOL @ FOD low platforms) and FFing a missle or not FFing and firing a homing. You might also want to try falling through a platform and FFing a missle.
That way, when you're finally able to shuffle missles and you learn firsthand the horrible, devastating truth, you're overall game will have improved and you won't feel as though you've wasted your time
if i understand correcectly you are saying shffmc= too hard for matches and make training techniques things that ARE useful in a match so when you finally know how terribly hard shffmc is and realize that you wasted all youre time on something you'll never be able to use you will still be a bit better in auctual matches.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
Watty said:
just do short hop mc and full jump fast fall mc they arent that much longer
But they are longer, and to say the shffl missile are pointless in tourney's is kinda ridiculous since saving in your techniques will help no matter what. L cancel's save time, not a lot, but they do save time and they affect gameplay huge. Sure, shffl missiles won't make as big of a difference as l cancel's but they are better and useful. The perfect samus would def. want this technique in their arsenal.

Watty

Smash Lord
its like 16 frames longer samusz, trying to shffmc in a tourny match could kill u cause you have abetter shot of doing a perfect cancel or messing it up altogether. no1 plays the game perfectly and to say that this technique is similar to l canceling is rediculous, since samus aerials are so important.

I dunno u can have at it SHFFMC all u want i dont think that it will help anyone become an elite samus player i played hugs alst weekend and also watched several of his matches and didnt see him doing it and he was owning quite well

Jasona

Smash Ace
supernova63 said:
if i understand correcectly you are saying shffmc= too hard for matches and make training techniques things that ARE useful in a match so when you finally know how terribly hard shffmc is and realize that you wasted all youre time on something you'll never be able to use you will still be a bit better in auctual matches.
I don't think that shuffling missles in a match is too hard. I shuffle missles in every match I play. The only reason I taught myself to shuffle missles was to speed up my samus. I thought that if my samus was faster, then I could win. However, my losses had nothing to do with my technical ability and had everything to do with the lack of a decent fighting sense. The only practice I got was from tournaments because I wouldn't travel very far for casual practice and noone lived close enough to me. If there had been smashers close enough for me to practice with, then I might never have considered shuffling missles. So, although shuffling missles is useful and has helped me to inflict significant damage, there are many more useful skills to be gained with the same effort.

LOL @ what I lack being of more value than what I possess

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
Samus247 said:
But they are longer, and to say the shffl missile are pointless in tourney's is kinda ridiculous since saving in your techniques will help no matter what. L cancel's save time, not a lot, but they do save time and they affect gameplay huge. Sure, shffl missiles won't make as big of a difference as l cancel's but they are better and useful. The perfect samus would def. want this technique in their arsenal.
auctually it the diffrence between a shffmc and a shmc is greater than the diffrence between n-air and l-canceled n-air

yes i wish samus has missiles like falco's lasers, and she probably did in the beta versions but the testers realized this made samus wayyyyyyyyy too godly so the makers added more pre and post lag, however to compensate they probably added more damage and knockback.

fromthegrave

Smash Cadet
the biggest problem i have with shmc is i accidently fire a homing missle instead of a regular one. it's quite frustrating. but other than that it's really not that bad you just have to watch when to fast fall and then immediatly after fire a missle and pray to god its not a homing (for me at least) as for it's usefulness i would say its nice for a mind game (but then again what isn't) or if someone CCed and you knocked them off the edge then just spam them the death. It's quite impessive to watch (just see jasona do it in mission briefing) but like all moves you just need to know when to do it.

lets keep the speculation to another thread because even if samus had missles like falco i don't think it would make her a god. she just doenst have the speed

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
fromthegrave said:
the biggest problem i have with shmc is i accidently fire a homing missle instead of a regular one. it's quite frustrating. but other than that it's really not that bad you just have to watch when to fast fall and then immediatly after fire a missle and pray to god its not a homing (for me at least) as for it's usefulness i would say its nice for a mind game (but then again what isn't) or if someone CCed and you knocked them off the edge then just spam them the death. It's quite impessive to watch (just see jasona do it in mission briefing) but like all moves you just need to know when to do it.

lets keep the speculation to another thread because even if samus had missles like falco i don't think it would make her a god. she just doenst have the speed
imagine a falco.
the falco is shffb ing.
now imagine the lasers turn into missiles what do you get?
god.
as for your homing missile problem, i used to get that with double missiles but my major problem with shffmc is pressing b to early and bombing.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Quick question... do i shoot the missile before fast falling or after... (i think its after but just making sure)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't get why people find this that hard...I can do it pretty easily and I have never really practiced...I have been doing it for awhile. Then again I hold the control stick with two fingers so stuff like this is generally easy for me >_>. Try holding the control stick with your index and thumb..Notice how much easier things like Dashdancing and DSHL are? I just feel like I have an easy time controling things holding the control stick this way.

But aside from JesusFreak I am the only person I know who holds the controller this way >_>... I also use the claw style..which came from playing fox -.-.

pwndj00n00b

Smash Journeyman
If your having problems with this due to finger speed I know a way to condition them. This worked for me so I dunno if it will work for everyone else. I conditioned my fingers by playing a game called psp revolution which is ddr for the psp. I just kept goin faster and faster and it really did help. Also playing Devil May Cry 3 helped to by using advanced techniques.

Top Bottom