• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to remove delay in online play?

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I have been using the term "lag" this whole time which people get mixed with actual graphics lag or something, so I was seriously going to waste 24$ going to buy the USB thing to try to fix this "delay" thing cause I thought that all this lag talk was the delay problem. Luckily someone recently posted that people are getting "lag" and "delay" mixed up.

Ok so how do I remove the delay in online mode? I hope its not because im using the GC controller. My GC controller is fine and theres nothing wrong with it. Im not using a wavebird or anything special like that.

I talked to a few friends and they said they hardly get any delay, while I always have delay in all my moves (or whenever I try to move my character it moves like half a second later).
I lose a lot because this delay is making me not have enough time to read my opponent's moves (by the time I can read their move and try to grab them or something they are already ahead of me and roll behind me and grab me back or something) so this is getting kinda gay.

I played offline after this and it was so great doing moves instantly, I was like god of smash.
Yes, tell me how to remove this delay thing and I shall show my god of smashness. (but seriously tho, help)

edit: Yes I tried searching but nothing helped. All I read was "blah blah delay sucks" or "blahhh to remove delay try scratcihng your ***" or w/e.

iros

Smash Rookie
I think is a problem of connection...check your connection first, I mean your signal, if it good or bad, then make sure to play with friends with good connections, this is also called lag latency and is pretty normal...some ppl are even used to this latency, but yeah is possible to reduce it, so make sure to play ppl with good connections, you can have the better connection but if your opponent is bad, the latency comes and the lag too...so...my advise, try not to play with any friends in your list with a red little circle in their tags...

Bane

Smash Journeyman
You wouldn't happen to have an HD or Plasma TV would you?
edit: nvm, confused your problem; ignore me :]

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Get a LAN adapter. It helped me out. Doesn't end it completely, but if you play with people who have one too, then you'll get almost zero lag. Unnoticeable amounts, at least.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
What...? The Wifi for Brawl just bites. Nothing you can do to fix it. Their will always be a delay when dealing with the internet. A projection screen television causes lag for crying out loud. In the end if you want to play online, be prepared to play for fun only.

Also keep in mind that Brawl's online mode is person to person, not via servers. This means the closer you are the better off you are. Either way I personally only play online when I'm suckered into it or I decide a Wifi tournament would be fun. In the end I'd never play online competitively for this single reason.

GONZLAMM

Smash Apprentice
choose a nuetral stage that doesnt have a lot of animation going on in the background. like final. levels like halberd slow down the game online. smashballs slow down the game too.

xarchangelzerox

Smash Rookie
Something else you might try is putting your Wii in the DMZ on your router; this puts it outside the firewall and can thus reduce any latency it might cause.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
choose a nuetral stage that doesnt have a lot of animation going on in the background. like final. levels like halberd slow down the game online. smashballs slow down the game too.
This has nothing to do with online. Your wii handles all the graphics and animations, while online handles the inputs from each player.

You can't completely remove delay from online, to make it exactly like offline. Buy a USB adapter, DMZ your wii, have your freind across the street from you, anything. This will reduce LAG but not INPUT DELAY. Input delay is something Nintendo can only fix.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
Your friends are probably saying that there's no delay without even realizing that THERE IS. Ask them to just tap their jump button and see how long it takes to respond.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
My connection is high speed- I still get delay. I don't think it's something that can be resolved... I mean move delay. Every move i do takes up more time then it should and not only that, but this makes it near impossible for me to actually play online >_>

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Since nobody else seems to be giving any help...

Ok listen. There are probably two main problems that could be happening.
1. Your wireless adapter is broadcasting on the same channel as your internet (or something else). Just change your channel to either 1 or 11. call your Internet Service provider to do so.
2. Something else might be that you or the person you are playing is on the internet. Make sure NO ONE is on the internet while playing online or you will experience lots of lag. I had this problem and fixed it by just turning off my computer. Afterwards I have had no significant lag.

If the problem continues then well I don't know...

Bud

Smash Journeyman
I made a signal capture box. It works kida like the tinfoil sail you can put behind your router. What I did is got a box and lined the inside of the box with tin foil (you have to make the corners concave, not squared.). Then put your router and your wii under the box, and all signal will be forced into the will and no signal strength will be lost. Also open your NAT, and open 1000 ports for smash, and change your signal to 6 or 11. If you want to go all out, you can go buy really good internet, and that should almost eliminate the lag and button delay.

Crashdance22

Smash Rookie
I believe delay occurs because every packet you send has to be pinged back to you, and that takes a handful of milliseconds, depending on your connection. What I don't understand is that other games, such as Mario Kart Wii, have no delay and no lag, not to mention not seeing other people randomly fly from one point to another because of a bad connection on MKW. This means that your internet connection is not responsible. I don't logically see how Brawl can't run without a server to communicate all the Wiis together. I'm guessing the server ping is high all the time, regardless if there is any actual lag or not.

YouAreOutOfMy5

Smash Apprentice
The part that really ticks me off is when the battle starts to count down to the finish, and then the network is lost. Why couldn't it be lost just 6 seconds more?!:urg:

Zero Link

Smash Apprentice
I have the same friggin problem. I can't afford to be 1 second off on every move I do on brawl. The thing is, my Wii is in my room and my wireless router and modem is in the living room and I don't think a lan adaptor would reach that far.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
It's also important to remember that in any match you enter your connection is only as good as the person with the worst latency. It'd make some strange time/space paradox if you were able to lag less than your opponent, no? :p

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I lose connection alot even when both players have a good connection. I think its the brawl server that makes it lagg and not the internet connection. Most times in the morning its lag free, then when I play in the afternoon it lags alot.

Top Bottom