• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to punish rolling?

Stutterfoot

Smash Rookie
My friend plays Ness and waits for me to approach then rolls and grabs me. I play fox and try to punish his rolls like I would in melee but nothing seems fast enough other than grab (his grab beats reverse ftilt even) and his grab range beats mine... any tips?

Sangoku

Smash Master
The problem is that even though you know he's going to roll, you still attack at the position he is at before the roll. You know he's going to roll and you know where he will end up after the roll. So attack directly there. It might be disturbing at first because you'll have the impression you will get punished for not attacking as you reach his initial position, but in fact you won't, because he's going to roll. Any attack would do, it can be a grab (and it's not about range, because if you grab him at the end of his roll, the time he's vulnerable is long enough for you to grab), it can be a short hop aerial (again, short hop later than what you might think), it can be a full hop aerial, it can even be a dash attack at higher percent (enough to get him offstage and then edgeguarding is easy).

The trick in punishing habits is really to hit where you know they will be even though they're not there yet.

Shears

Smash Master
You don't have to outright attack him. Dash dance really close to him and bait him into the roll, then dash dance again and get him to whiff a grab or whatever, then make him look like a fool for being so gullible and 0-death him. Fox is way faster than Ness, you can play dash games with him all day. Also just walk up to him and dtilt. If he rolls, walk close and dtilt again. You can pressure him with dtilt and I'm pretty sure your dtilt outspaces everything he has.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Like Sangoku already said, go to where he's going to end up after he rolls. Sounds like he has a nasty roll pattern. Should be pretty easy to punish.

Sensei

Smash Lord
You gotta anticipate his movement. Bait him into rolling. Walk or dash towards him and jump backwards and to an attack. The more practice the better you will be at just reacting because fox is such a fast character and can counter many moves.

Stonefallow

Smash Cadet
If he is spamming the roll it becomes predictable. He will be particularly susceptible to grabs because the distance he can move is limited. This will sometimes require you to use your running ability in conjunction with your grab, but that technique should be enough to "punish" him for his over reliance.

The roll is best used sparingly in situations where you want to take advantage of its momentary invincibility.

Purplesloth

Smash Rookie
Most characters have a down smash that hits both sides, And that's how I usually deal with it.

I use Kirby's down smash more.

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
awe hell yeah peach look damn fine when she move like that

yo she a dime i swear to god

10/10 would bang

_CaKeS_

Smash Cadet
Like Sangoku said, attack where he's going to roll. I have **** loads of practice against lvl 9 CPUs and their AI is so bad they roll all the time. Once you get the hang of it you can hit them at every roll, but this is assuming he rolls EVERY time, if not you might look like an idiot sometimes but as long as it's not a hindering attack if it misses you should be able to recover fine, since Ness isn't much of a threat to Fox

Top Bottom