• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to practice with fox

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I am in a predicament... I am about to go to INNsomnia, and I do not feel prepared. I am fairly good, but not good enough! Now, I know that to get better you must practice, that is simply fundamental, but, I need to know how to practice. Specifically I need to practice combos and approaching. But, these both require a live opponent, for the DI reasons and mindgames (It doesn't help if they powershield everything you throw at them) I have a brother but he is not that good, mindgames are not any good with him, and he just DI's left again and again (??) I have one friend who is just as good as me, but I am worried about creating a closed metagame between me and him, and that would get us creamed at the tourney (He is going to)

Help!! I want to place fairly, I am willing to spend some time at it, but I need to know how...

Also, we are doing doubles, and we know that people fight way differently than the coms, so if you have any advice on that please post, and this is in the right thread, I am a fox player. GG mate, sorry I forgot to post that in the beginning... Thanks for any help

Pipe

Smash Cadet
the most you can really practice with fox by yourself is tech skill. thankfully, there's plenty of that to do. practice shffls if you're not up on them, wavedashes, waveshine combos, edgeteching (go to break the targets). you could read some faqs and character matchups just so you know what to do and what not to do against every character. trust me, there's nothing worse than going into a match against a character you've never played before and not knowing what to expect when they probably know all the tricks against your fox.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
Second'd.

Practice the "hard stuff" first. Like waveshining and shffling.

And also, work on predictability. I've had SO many problems with being predictable and getting *****. If you look as if you are trying to perplex the opponent (mindgames), then they will try to attack you and fail (I'm pretty sure you know that though).

Practice those tech skills, and good luck at INNsomnia!

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
By yourself, there is no way you're going to be able to get down the mindgames before the tournament. Like everyone else has said, just practice the technical aspects of Fox.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
To add on to what I just said...

If you had an opponent like you (the closed metagame idea), you could practice the mindgames. You have to remember that everyone has different strategies for their Fox (assuming they use Fox).

Fox is my second main, next to Sheik (1st) and Marth (3rd). Usually, the top 3 tournament charries.

Even though you'd be playing a match you dislike, it's really going to be hard to place fairly without mindgames.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Mindgames aren't improved over the short term-- if you are good at anticipating attacks, then your mindgames will be good regardless of how little you play. if you don't anticipate well then you will just have to gain more experience to make up for it. Either way nothing will change b/t now and then. For now all you can do is practice the techs as everyone else has also mentioned.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
And also, don't use the same strategies you would use on your friends because, as I said, everyone has different strategies depending on who they use.

For example, let's say your Fox is against your friend's Marth. You have your own little strategy developed (let's say mindgames are included for now), and you win.

Now you go to INNsomnia, and you are against another person's Marth (who is probably better than your friend anyway), and you attempt to use your same strategy. You will probably end up losing.

Okay, I've said enough. INNsomnia's at the end of the month, so you have a little bit of time to work on incorporating your technical stuff. If you can though, look for live opponents so you can work on the simple mindgames.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i like to practice my double shines in training mode. shffl nair then double shine helps me with speed and i have to do it really fast because i switch my hands from index finger on the trigger to B and middle finger on Y. it looks hilarious if you do it like that in a game and you triple or even quadruple shine.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
yes but he asked for help and all you are talking about is how you double shine....

takieddine

Smash Master
If you are confident enough in handling your character, mind games the will be there. Practice movements, and techskill, and don't fight people like they're computers, play smart, and try to predict their approaches etc.

patches1111330

Smash Rookie
Well I am a begginer Fox player and I already am pretty good. I have a partner (as you can see in my signature) and I would LOVE it if you would give me some tips.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Work on being able to drillshine, just work on all your techs against level ones until their in muscle memory.

Brookman

Smash Hero
yo I infinite JC shine, everyone jump on my knobbage. LOLZ

I like to go to Onett and just practice running around/shffls/full jump aerials onto platforms. stair stepping, maneuvering on platforms. shine combos on marth/peach/sheik/ganon/samus/doc. Moving around smoothly is pretty important. Practice waveshining backwards. running around and shling. you can practice teching with the cars to some degree.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'm more of a techy Fox myself, so though I can't offer you any more advice than what everyone else here has already said, look me up at INNsomnia. To help locate me, just ask the tourny guys for Gerbil, and they should point me out cause a lot of them know me. I can show you a few things tech wise, but again the mind games just come with experience.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Meh, does this sound good?

Due to my lack of mindgame development, I will probably just make them come to me, and use simple mindgames... I will laser spam, to get the technical advantage, and when they come to me I will charge in really fast, again hopeing s/he is startled and relying on my tech skill, then I will wait... when they charge, I will react based on how they attacked last time, maybe fake a charge with a DD or reversed WD.....

Then just play the matched based on whats working for me, and if it is not and the opponent is predicting me, change to offensive... just go back and forth...

And naxt game I will pull out the sho me ur boobz falcon...

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
I can't offer a whole lot being I'm still new to the scene but the way I figure, once you're really hot on all the tech stuff and can perform them at will the mindgames and experience will be there.

Someone mentioned that there's a lot of techmastering to do with Fox and it's def true. Practice hard and gl at INN.

Brookman

Smash Hero
omfg stop talking about mindgames. Being new to this game has really got close to no bearing on how well you can perform vs better players. You don't need a ton of experience andyou don't need to "mind games" your opponent. Especially with fox. If you are technicallyproficient you can place well in a tournament as long as you play intelligently. That being said I'd like to illustrate what you gain from experience in this game, and no, it's not "mind games."

I consider recovering to be the most important aspect of fox's higher level game. Most people talk about how bad fox's recovery is. While he does have little protection in his recovery moves fox's options for recovering are simply incredible. Part of playing at high levels is making the right/intelligent decision. Knowing all your options for recovering and making the best choice in any given situation is a huge part of playing well. Another aspect of recovering is once you reach the edge. I've seen countless fox players ( I have been one myself) who will just get to the edge and then edge hop a dair mindlessly, often, vs good players, right into a trap. Getting back to the stage with fox is such hard work, don't make a hastey decision when it comes to getting onto the stage and throw it all away.

Edge gaurding is another HUGELY important part of higher level play, and goes hand in hand with recovering really. I just woke up and I can't form sentences to go with this paragraph, so just reverse everything I said in the previous paragraph.

The greatest thing you learn from experience is that "Mind games" is a bunch of garbage really. To me 'mind games' are when you trigger a desired response in your opponent, due to their instincts and/or inexperience. Simple ones are jump at your opponent and wavelanding away, hoping to trigger a grab, walking up to them when you are invincible hoping to trigger a roll. Dash dancing after a tech roll to hope to trigger a side-step, etc. THIS IS WHAT SEPERATES THE BETTER PLAYERS FROM THE BEST. The best players see through these 'tricks' and it all becomes a giant, sub-concious, game of tag really. If you watch the first match of finals from cata 3 You will see no mindgames, just smart decisions and notquite as smart decisions. It'sjust playing intelligently from reconditioned instincts and experience.

If you don't agree, whatever, this is just my opinion.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
This is mad true. About a month ago all I knew was tech skill, a lot, but no mind games (or thinking smart) and i also had a few bad habits. I would side step toooooo much and i was getting ***** for it. Ive broken the habit now because of me getting punished so dearly over and over again for it. At first i couldn't stop. Everyone told me i side stepped too much thats why i kept losing and i still did it the next match. And also i would tech in the same direction no matter what. CAN YOU SAY SUPER PREDICTABLE? It was so hard to break these bad habits and instincts, but it happened eh? Then i incorporated thinking smart into my game and got way better. Don't be stupidly aggressive, don't be predictable, relize your mistakes and/or your opponents and fix/counter them.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
well first off, i like to practice by mindgaming lvl 1 cpu's and then i...... lol jp!

i practice L-cancels, shffls and wavedashes waveshines. i do the little edgetech practicing on BtT untill i get bored. and then after that i work on trying to look cool.

Top Bottom