• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to play scubs?

fiddlediddle123

Smash Rookie
i have always found it hard playing the kinds of people who camp and forward smash.
dose anyone have any tips?

RenaiCF

Smash Rookie
Well you're pretty vague, but if they just camp and forward smash that's easy to predict. Just learn to approach and punish their predictable patterns. If you main mario, keep the fireballs coming.

Last edited:

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
You can run up and shied and after the f smash just wavedash out of shield and punish them with grab or a smash attack yourself.
If he also starts grabbing you can do spotdodge.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Full hop on their head with falco's dair, or laser them repeatedly are the low level answers. Falco is the character that literally slays this kind of play. Being able to control ur character is the best answer though, u shouldn't get hit by this stuff.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
OP sounds like a scrub Marth lol. I spam side-b out of dash dance with Ganon against those types lmao, effortless death combo often results.

D

Deleted member

Play a character you don't know how to play very well, or a really hard hitting one as comboing them won't really be necessary, such as Ganon (shoutouts to -ACE- -ACE- ) or somebody stupid like Bowser.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Walk up, shield, grab them out of their smash. Eventually they'll learn and try new things, which is when the real game starts.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Walk up, shield, grab them out of their smash. Eventually they'll learn and try new things, which is when the real game starts.
Scrub marths that spam fsmash also provide excellent wd OoS practice, lol. Which is often necessary to get the grab.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I have a few tips:

1: Give your opponents respect. Don't call them a scrub unless they are a scrub:
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

If they don't do advanced tech because of a BS honor code, then don't call them a scrub. They are just lowbies and/or casuals. Don't resort to derogatory terms just because you are upset that they are giving you a hard time.

2: If you are being beaten by lowbies you shouldn't consider yourself to be much better than them. I know exactly the stage you are in, that weird middle area where you know some tech and can play against competitive players and do fairly well, but you still somehow lose or struggle with people that don't use any advanced tech.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a simple reason for this. You aren't actually actively playing. You are just auto-piloting. You aren't actually adjusting to your opponent. You expect your opponent to play a certain way, and when they don't things are breaking down. In order to beat them you will have to first learn how to observe your opponent, and then you have to learn how to adapt to their play style. The good thing is, lowbies like this are the perfect opportunity to build that skill, as they tend to have tons of errors in their play to exploit.

Some things to watch for in a match:
Do they tech? At lot of lowbies never tech, and if that is the case you can easily just smash the moment you knock them on the ground.

Do they sweetspot the ledge? It's highly unlikely that they do, which means that the most basic of edge guarding will destroy them. Secondary to this is do they tend to recover high or low.

Do they have glaring habits? The answer to this is yes, because they are patiently waiting to f smash you. F smash is pretty much a terrible move to just toss out in most cases. You know that they plan on f smashing you, and you know that they plan to do it when you get close to them. Why can't you adapt to that? There isn't a point in saying how to beat that, because other people have already mentioned things, but it's also no point in doing it because it's so obviously a bad tactic that you shouldn't be falling for it.

Pauer

The Pauerful
I would say a large part, if not the most important part in becoming a better player is learning to punish bad decisions. This is accompanied by understanding why certain action are strictly bad/inferior to other actions.
I like to think of it as having to "teach" your opponent that what they're doing is bad. If your opponent notices their strategy doesn't work, they'll naturally start to adjust and make better decisions.
If they don't manage to do so, they're bad. If they justify it by calling you lame, they're a scrub.

jaymes

Smash Rookie
I think that even if you have trouble against campers and such, tech skill itself is going to set you higher than your opponent, thats how I beat some of my friends that are a lower skill than me.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
There are two options I would choose from
  • let them play stupid and punish them
  • let them play stupid (do the same), let the player win the round, and demolish the player the next round
(I like the second option because it gives people confidence they win one round, and the player thinks this is your real playing style. Unfortunately, that's not true

keninblack

Smash Cadet
Run up to them, then press and hold the L or R button.

Once you block said attack, press the A button.

Proceed til its lit.

Top Bottom