• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Perfect Pivot

Cpt.Flufs

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cpt.Flufs
For those of you who don't now how to perfect pivot (wavedash2.0 imo), My Smash Corner has posted very in depth tutorial about it on youtube. I can't post links yet, but if you search My Smash Corner on youtube, it should be his most recent video. It should have all the info you need, :D His Smashboards un is Ambrose, but I couldn't find a post about this from him, so I wanted to help get the word out.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
For those of you who don't now how to perfect pivot (wavedash2.0 imo), My Smash Corner has posted very in depth tutorial about it on youtube. I can't post links yet, but if you search My Smash Corner on youtube, it should be his most recent video. It should have all the info you need, :D His Smashboards un is Ambrose, but I couldn't find a post about this from him, so I wanted to help get the word out.
I just got done watching the video actually. I'll link it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I feel as though you may as well just roll. Setting up a quick bair is definitely useful though.

IcyFlamz96

Smash Cadet
More mechanics to learn. I'm sittin here struggling with short hopping and fast falling lol

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Sadly, these are useless online due to the input delay....

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
It was possible to buffer many different kinds of attacks from Wavedashing. Tilts, jabs, smashes, and B attacks were all possible.

This one, it seems like neutral b, jab, and c-stick are pretty much all you've got. I'm not gonna call it the "next wavedash", but its conceptually very close. This is a very quick and safe move option that retains the "neutral" state of your character. Newbies are going to wonder what the big deal is... while experts (who are already applying B-reversals and other advanced tech) immediately see the application.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Melee doesn't even have buffering.

Perfect pivoting is just sliding around in a standing animation. So you definitely CAN do anything you want.

Wavedashing did let you slide off of and on to platforms which is definitely some good stuff.

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
Awesome, now my whole family can hear me smash my analog stick. ;_;

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
The Smash Corner guy told me he recommends tilts for Mario and Smashes for Shulk as for C-Stick controls.

Ugh, now I have to have 2 control sets.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
There was a fox at xanadu on stream last night that kept perfect pivoting into dash attack. I didn't understand what he was doing at the time but it seemed so useful, especially for fox and other chars with powerful dash attacks.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
This is really interesting, unfortunately I can't do it on my 3DS, I'll have to wait until I have the Wii U version but I think this could really change the game if people try to do it because I hear a lot of complains about movement options and now we have one It will take a lot of practice but I think that it will be worthed, now we need something to reduce landing lag...

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Any tool that helps you space/microspace is very useful, albeit some more situational than others. Interesting to note that you can perfect pivot out of a foxtrot which is essentially a run > wavedash back, so great for baiting.

I can perfect pivot consistently in training, but remembering and applying it in battle is much tougher. Coupled with foxtrot dashdancing and the like, the amount of flicking you need to do for theses techniques is insane. Welcome to Super Flick Bros.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
I cannot do this with my left thumb holding the controller normal style for the life of me. I can do it with my right hand using my thumb & pointer finger... but not a chance in hell I could pull this off without dedicating some serious time to developing the muscles required to do this. It is insanely difficult... but the payoff definitely is there...

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I cannot do this with my left thumb holding the controller normal style for the life of me. I can do it with my right hand using my thumb & pointer finger... but not a chance in hell I could pull this off without dedicating some serious time to developing the muscles required to do this. It is insanely difficult... but the payoff definitely is there...
Muscle and muscle memory in fingers develop more quickly than you might think. Just remember, it's less about how long you practice and more how often. Recalling movement is extremely important.

Last edited:

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
I can feel my muscles tense all the way up to my shoulder blade trying to do this tech lol. Hopefully you are right, I am no stranger to muscle memory and fast reflexes, but this seems in a league of its own compared to what I am used to.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can feel my muscles tense all the way up to my shoulder blade trying to do this tech lol. Hopefully you are right, I am no stranger to muscle memory and fast reflexes, but this seems in a league of its own compared to what I am used to.
The lazy man's method is to simply dash dance quickly and time a C-stick input at the right time, as your control stick reaches the center after the first dash. I think it's a bit too technical for a minor spacing trick. Could be useful in desperate situations.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Consistently pulling off perfect pivots with a little practice is not to hard but implementing it in your game is the hard part. I'm sure a lot of people will be a able to pull this off in time.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
More mechanics to learn. I'm sittin here struggling with short hopping and fast falling lol
When he started playing Melee, Mew2king couldn't short hop as well.

It's not like doing something consistently has never been an issue, when waking ourselves up a great part of electric pulses from our nerves shuffles themself, smiling and breathing aren't the simplest actions as well for our muscles either.
Not too differently, learning complex techniques becomes natural only after one starts using them consistently even in normal gameplay.

I would rather be worried for the destruction of the control stick, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Epok

Smash Ace
I have been messing around with this and I have been using the fox trot(initial dash animation) into turn around smash, tilts and jabs(very tricky to jab). I like that better because you get way more space and it's easier to get behind people when they shield. Has anyone one else tried this?

dizney

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdizney
I just can't get my fingers to move fast enough to do a perfect pivot ;( Anyone have any advice?
I've been practicing it quite a bit, and one thing I've noticed is that when making the second movement, I perform it more often when I don't hit the end of the analog area. For example sliding left, I hit the analog stick against the end of the analog area, and then barely move the analog past the middle on the right. Your analog should only make a *click* sound once.

Wow it's more difficult to explain than I thought. Hopefully this helps someone..

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
this is handy but i still havent mastered stutter smash makes my hand cramp after a few wonder if Ike can do anything cool with it

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Keep in mind Grass is a thing.

If you use a perfect pivot to space an attack, you will slide farther on a normal stage then one with grass on it. This could mess up your spacing switching from grass to no grass. Keep that in mind when practicing!

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Keep in mind Grass is a thing.

If you use a perfect pivot to space an attack, you will slide farther on a normal stage then one with grass on it. This could mess up your spacing switching from grass to no grass. Keep that in mind when practicing!
Thats a nifty thing i remeber seeing it in the comments now that ive seen it again thank you lol

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
I wouldn't be surprised if it got patched up. He took it out to avoid making a big skill gap. He didn't want some players to have a big advantage over others.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't be surprised if it got patched up. He took it out to avoid making a big skill gap. He didn't want some players to have a big advantage over others.
If that were the case, we wouldn't have gotten characters like Rosalina or Shulk.

I don't know why people are quick to assume anything remotely difficult would be patched out. Personally, I think Perfect Pivot is something that is either very situational or outright useless for certain characters like Bowser move little post dash.

I've been practicing it quite a bit, and one thing I've noticed is that when making the second movement, I perform it more often when I don't hit the end of the analog area. For example sliding left, I hit the analog stick against the end of the analog area, and then barely move the analog past the middle on the right. Your analog should only make a *click* sound once.

Wow it's more difficult to explain than I thought. Hopefully this helps someone..
Sounds like dash one direction then immediately walk in the other.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
So if something creates a skill gap it gets patched?
Perfect shielding confirmed to get patched.
And for that matter, perfect pivot was discovered long time before DACUS.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If that were the case, we wouldn't have gotten characters like Rosalina or Shulk.

I don't know why people are quick to assume anything remotely difficult would be patched out. Personally, I think Perfect Pivot is something that is either very situational or outright useless for certain characters like Bowser move little post dash.
It will all depend on how polarizing the mechanic causes the general balance of the game. If it causes some characters to become a lot better then others it will be removed or changed, though we still don't know how effective this mechanic will become until people understand the concept by heart.

Also, got to keep in mind the whole mentality of trying to make the series as accessible as possible. It may get removed solely because it creates a gap between players.

Last edited:

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
I don't think this will get patched, Sakurai just posted the other day 1.04 was final most likely. I think this technique is not a deal breaker for the average player, but something we will see in tournaments to increase the odds, something to throw out to make your opponent keep guessing and to punish with when they guess wrong. My only hope is that this doesn't cause arthritis or anything lol...

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Man, it's difficult to Perfect Pivot, now i can do it, but only 2 or 3 times and i can't turn the opposite direction while doing this...this is gonna take a while.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Man, it's difficult to Perfect Pivot, now i can do it, but only 2 or 3 times and i can't turn the opposite direction while doing this...this is gonna take a while.
You're supposed to end up facing the same direction unless you're doing it foward.

Top Bottom