• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to "level up my game"?

juki

Smash Cadet
Well at the moment im a huge fish in a small pond. I know only a handful of other ssbb players but i'm owning them with ease. Now the thing is, I want to start going to bigger tournies, but knowing how good some of the entrants are I feel like i should train some more. Since I don't want to use Wi-Fi (totally different than tournament play and mines not working fofr some reason anyway atm) and meeting the other ssbb'ers quite rarely, my question is how do I get better? Is continuosly beating up lvl 9's gona make me better? Or should i beat smaller level's like some people say?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
NO CPUs except level 1 for practicing tech skill.

Just go to tournaments anyway--you need the experience. You will probably lose, so just try to get more friendly matches at the tournaments instead.

Good luck!

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
"Don't get hit" - Isai (world's best SSB64 player and great Melee player. A common sentence here is "Isai is too good")

Villi

Smash Lord
Bring your friends to tournies, play friendlies to learn, don't be afraid to lose to someone better than you. Try your best, play smart and play to learn. You'll improve, so will your friends, and you'll have better people to practice against.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Well, you "could" practice on CPU's. Just go to the character board of whichever character you need practice on. Get a few techniques and go to Training Mode. Always practice on the level 1 CPU's for techniques. Besides that, don't just fight the CPU's, because they act nothing like real players, they're just got practicing techniques and what not.

For some REAL practice, I suggest Wi-Fi or invite a few friends over to play, but since you said those won't work for you, I'd have to suggest Tournaments, because you can fight a wide range of players. Just for fun, so it doesn't matter if you lose. Tournaments seem like the only way you can play against another human players right now, so I would probably just go to a few Tournaments to practice. Start with a few local Tournaments, like in your city. Than move to some more ranged Tournaments, within state.

Hope I helped.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I practice other characters to get a better feel as to how they're played. Then I can come up with my own strategies I'd use against myself. It works. >_>

neek3

Smash Rookie
My suggestion is to fight multiple lvl 9's so you can practice how to take less damage. Because after all taking less damgae then ur oppenet is one of the main ways to avoid loosing stock, granted there are players who use spikes and good ledge guarding skills to kill their opponent at a lower % but i suggest u learn how to take less damage. Besides fighting multiple lvl 9's i suggest goin to tournys like the people above said because not only can u play friendlys against better players but hopefully u can find players that are equal to you and better then u near your area and u can then start to play with them.

Eaode

Smash Champion
My suggestion is to fight multiple lvl 9's so you can practice how to take less damage. Because after all taking less damgae then ur oppenet is one of the main ways to avoid loosing stock, granted there are players who use spikes and good ledge guarding skills to kill their opponent at a lower % but i suggest u learn how to take less damage.
This is terrible advice

MxGm

Smash Cadet
Just go to tourneys and play friendlies. When you think you're ready, enter the tournament. Be prepared to lose though.
Also play a lot with lvl 1 CPUs for techniques. Another thing you could try is set yourself a handicap and play against a lvl 3 CPU, that way you'll learn how to keep a distance from your opponent.
It works for me.

Top Bottom