• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to hold a GC controller

XXXCheckmate

Smash Rookie
NNID
XXCheckmate
3DS FC
0774-4671-5159
I was just wondering what the most efficient way to hold a Game Cube controller is. Do you hold it naturally (putting your two pointer fingers over L and R and use your thumb for the A, B, X, and Y and the left stick) or is there a better way? I've seen some people have their pointer finger and thumb press the letter buttons, but that just seems uncomfortable.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I hold it naturally. Any other way is just... Awkward for me. That said, I have some friends who hold what is commonly known as clutch.

This is the same as natural, except your middle finger is placed on L, while your pointer hovers in a position for quick use of A, B, or Y/X. That leaves your thumb at the C-stick.

They tend to think that cause this hold has fingers at the ready for every input, it allows them to play and follow up moves quicker. I never got into it though. It's really just preference.

Last edited:

XXXCheckmate

Smash Rookie
NNID
XXCheckmate
3DS FC
0774-4671-5159
I hold it naturally. Any other way is just... Awkward for me. That said, I have some friends who hold what is commonly known as clutch.

This is the same as natural, except your middle finger is placed on L, while your pointer hovers in a position for quick use of A, B, or Y/X. That leaves your thumb at the C-stick.

They tend to think that cause this hold has fingers at the ready for every input, it allows them to play and follow up moves quicker. I never got into it though. It's really just preference.
That makes sense. I like holding it naturally too, but it seems like moving my thumb from X to B takes a little too long, and leaves more room for error.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I hold it naturally

You can do the "claw" grip, I know some players that do that... or even you can try normal grip with the left hand and placing your controller on your knee or where ever you feel better support and input everything as it were an arcade stick, "downside" is pretty much you'll be doing wavedash/shielding/grabbing/cancelling with L so it takes a while to get used to Javi plays that way and a couple of friends play that way too.

Although I recommend to go with the way you feel more comfortable... there are quite a few players that with the natural grip still can make technical wonders, after a lot of practice of course.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I personally play with a natural grip. It's the most comfortable for me. That's what it comes down to!

Last edited:

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
It kinda depends on which character you play. Some characters benefit more with the claw grip, like peach, mewtwo, or if you want to be faster to hit every button/stick like Gravy does with falcon. Whenever I play peach (in friendlies) I'll switch mid battle between claw and natural grip.
For most characters it's not worth learning claw unless that's what is natural to you. Play what's comfortable!

Esther

Smash Rookie
I hold my controller with Pointer on Z, Middle on R, Pointer on L. Why? It's fast on grabs, and easy to claw when needed. d;

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
there isn't any "best" way to hold the controller, just do whatever is most comfortable. personally, i just hold it normally but indexes on L and R and i quickly move to Z for grabs with my right index finger

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do the same as toaster. I've tried holding it with my middle fingers on the shoulder buttons, but it always felt like the controller was going to pop out of my hands or something. I didn't feel like I had a good grip on it.

I hate the Z button though so I changed X to grab so I don't have to even move my right index finger to it. I have it set to footstool (normally) or attack (if I'm playing a DACUS character) at the moment.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
@ CORY CORY & @ F. Blue F. Blue : Yeah, I think that's what I'm most known for, lol. I guess I'm living proof that controllers can be used in many different ways so long as there are no gimmicks on them, lol.

Last edited:

Rikutsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
rikutsu
I've always held mine "normally." Claw feels too awkward for me on a Gamecube controller. Sometimes I'll claw on 360 controllers but that's really about it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I HAVE to use the Natural grip because I have problems with Carpal Tunnel. It has it's disadvantages, yes, but I'm accustomed to using :GCN:+:GCA: rather than :GCCN:, so that's mainly a non-issue for me.

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
Let me be the odd one out in here by saying I play with both my thumb and index finger on :GCN:. I don't use :GCLT: at all.
Yeah, I use two fingers to use one stick.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a few people who use the palm of their hand to c-stick so that they don't have to take their thumb off the face buttons. Actually, I might just try that myself.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
@ Vigilante Vigilante How long did it take to remove the muscle memory and play the stick backwards (I.e. Thumb left, character right)?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
@ Vigilante Vigilante How long did it take to remove the muscle memory and play the stick backwards (I.e. Thumb left, character right)?
There really wasn't an adptation period. The first time I picked up an NES controller, I played reverse style because my mother handed it to me upside down. I assumed that was the right way to play, so it kind of stuck even if I later realized I was playing differently from the intended controller hold.

I actually play much, much worse using regular holds in games like Smash Bros. where my muscle memory makes me self-destruct a lot. Iw as nearly beaten by a 13 year old casual gamer when he dared me to play normal, lol. It's weird because I adapted to other games for portables... but Smash, I really can't.

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Just put it in your hands and play. You don't need to claw in PM because of the ease of custom controls. The option is there. Use them.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
How hype would an arcade stick with analogue control be tho

I would try it

Just put it in your hands and play. You don't need to claw in PM because of the ease of custom controls. The option is there. Use them.
I still prefer clawing for dacus even though I never use the R button. It's legit.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm gonna concur with the others here and say you can play however is comfortable. And then remap whatever doesn't work. My playstyle has evolved from what I did as a kid (i.e. beyond specific ATs I don't use X, Y, Z, or R), so I remapped the buttons I don't actually actively use for easier access to character specific ATs.

Kati

Smash Lord
Clawing allows for the most relaxed hand position, so referring to the standard grip as "natural" is slightly misleading.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Clawing is sort of a necessity for me since in reverse, it's the only way for your pinkie fingers to access the trigger buttons. I don't change the default controls mostly out of habituation.

Top Bottom