• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Help Train a Friend?

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
Well, I DID go to his house but he did not want to play Smash. Instead, he practiced drumming with his friend. So much for devotion. I think I've lost hope for not only him, but for all my friends who used to play Smash. The first time I showed my friends advanced techniques was lots of fun, but now everyone is pretty much over it. Looks like I'm going to be lonely for awhile.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
get him into smahboards and show him some interesting videos. Like a combo video, but it must be a combo video that character he uses

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
I already stated that my friend knows his advanced techniques and has watched countless of Smash matches. Just hope to god that he'll go to my house this week.

Banks

Smash Hero
find a tournament near your area, go to it. and it will show you how to play. and by tournament i mean a tournament with good people, not a school event or something.

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
Well, I decided to give up on my friend and decided to get new training buddies, which is now my brother and my cousin. Since my cousin comes to my house on daily bases, he usually plays infinite timed matches (which lasts over an hour) with my brother. As they play, I tell each of them what they should and shouldn't do(and I actually noticed improvement). My brother uses Samus while my cousin uses Falco. They're both kind of at the same level and both try inputting advanced techniques in their matches. I'll try to record them playing when I have the time.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations on finding some new smash partners for the time being.Remember though when training them be sure not to forget to tell them why a particular method is a good idea.

Also be sure to let them learn from making mistakes also.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I think it has more to do with not being able to play smash because one doesnt have live compitition.So he trying deperatly to teach his friend whos not that interested.At one point or another we all can relate to this and feel bad for the original poster.It sucks to love a game that and have noone to play the game with.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Well about the last thing Uck said i will come to agree completely! I mean me and my friends cannot train to be "pros" just because we live in Greece and we have no tourneys no smash fests no nothing!! I am a bit better than my friends but i sort of feel that they got better every time that I introduced them to something new e.g. item graping in the air then how to proper use the evasive manuevers...Actually all the techniques up to wavedash/land and all the advanced thingies(Which i still havent mastered) And unless i work my *** off i cant improve in smash! Smash online save me!!!

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
Actually there was a tournament at my school today and I was completely satisfied with my performance. My brother and my friend (the one who usually said he was busy) also came. There were 16 contestants and 3 of them (excluding my brother and friend) played competitively. One played a solid Falco while the other also played a solid Marth (solid as in good technique but no mindgames). The last person played a Peach around my level (now we're kind of Smash friends) and unfortunately, I had him as my first opponent. Luckily, I managed to pull it off and beaten him by a stock. In the next bracket, I had to go against the Falco, which was a pretty fun match since it was my first time facing a competitive person using a fast faller (won by 2 stocks). My brother was up against the Marth and I was pretty sure that the Marth was going to win. Unexpectedly, my brother manages to take out 2 of his stocks with his high % and ironicly, both my brother and my friend lost to a Dr. Mario who didn't play competitively at all. I blamed my friend for losing because he hadn't went to my house for 3 months :D. Overall, I was impressed with my performance and won the tournament.

EDIT: An odd thing I noticed is that I do much better against competitive people than the newbies because those newbies are so unpredictable o_o.

Top Bottom