• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How to get better at Smash 3DS

ShineTaku

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3222-5954-8463
I've played Smash casually for some time now (since Brawl) and recently I've decided to start getting into competitive play and I get DESTROYED, I only have a win rate of 28.35% lol
People have told me to find a main, I really like close combat fighters that aren't too slow but aren't extremely fast, a few characters I like to play as are Ike, Little Mac, Link/Toon Link (I'm too nooby to realize the difference) and Mario.
Can someone give me a few tips on what skills to learn to be able to fight people competitively, Thanks :D

flushinrush

Smash Rookie
I've played Smash casually for some time now (since Brawl) and recently I've decided to start getting into competitive play and I get DESTROYED, I only have a win rate of 28.35% lol
People have told me to find a main, I really like close combat fighters that aren't too slow but aren't extremely fast, a few characters I like to play as are Ike, Little Mac, Link/Toon Link (I'm too nooby to realize the difference) and Mario.
Can someone give me a few tips on what skills to learn to be able to fight people competitively, Thanks :D
Fighting (level 9) CPUs like megaman (megaman has been a b*tch to me lately idk if he's hard on others I've played him alot though im guessing the AI learned from me..?), duck hunt and little mac for me has really gained my speed on dodging and attacking etc. Fighting other people helps you gain expierence on being technical and strategic imo.

Last edited:

ShineTaku

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3222-5954-8463
I've read in multiple places never to train against lvl 9 AI as they read your inputs and teach you bad habits. I'm just trying to spam for glory matches right now hoping I'll get better as I play, but I fear without direction I'd just be loosing for eternity :(

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I always trained against Level 9s just to get the feel of dodging, grabbing, and shielding. I mean, don't pick up bad habits, true, but you need to start somewhere.

Level 8s don't seem to cause such habit-cancer though... Also, finding people locally to play against is the absolute best thing you can do. No better way to learn than to get a friend/rival to teach you some tricks in person. CPUs can't teach you good edgeguarding practices, nor the best way to use Shulk's Monado Arts. The last thing you should do is try to imitate the CPU's style of playing. It's bologna.

Also, pick a character you like to play, not something that someone says is "good." Every character has some sort of weakness, so you need to learn the strengths and weaknesses of your choice inside-out. If you're gonna spend that much time with a character, you better like the character and find him/her fun to play. Link is fairly solid, provided you learn to utilize his strong zoning game. Toon Link is similar, but his weight, power, and knockback are quite different. Also, make sure you know the difference between their bombs, boomerangs, grabs, and DAirs, which are the biggest differences between the two.

ShineTaku

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3222-5954-8463
I find Ike and Little mac really fun to play, Link is great but I don't find him as fun as the first two, Mario is a character I was told to learn as he's a very basic character and can do well in all situations. I have a friend I can play with but the problem is he doesn't know many competitive skills either and I can go pretty much even with him in matches until he brings out his Marth where I get destroyed , One of the reasons I'm trying to improve is to defeat his Marth( He would probably lose to most people on for glory too even with his Marth).

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I find Ike and Little mac really fun to play, Link is great but I don't find him as fun as the first two, Mario is a character I was told to learn as he's a very basic character and can do well in all situations. I have a friend I can play with but the problem is he doesn't know many competitive skills either and I can go pretty much even with him in matches until he brings out his Marth where I get destroyed , One of the reasons I'm trying to improve is to defeat his Marth( He would probably lose to most people on for glory too even with his Marth).
Still, it's a healthy thing to have some "get better so I can beat X" mentality, as it pushes you to keep learning and getting better. Ike and Mac are certainly capable of beating Marth, Link as well. You need to analyze why you lose to his Marth, and figure out how to overcome it. Is it Marth's range? If so, learn to dodge and punish. Is it his speed? Be patient, and wait for him to make a move with high startup/cooldown, then rush in for a punish. It's all about learning your faults, the strengths of your opponents, and how to work with what you have in front of you. Try playing as Marth a bit yourself to learn the mindset of Marth players. I firmly believe the statement "the best way to improve at Smash is to walk a mile in each fighter's shoes." To that end, I beat All-Star mode on Hard with [almost] every character, just to find out general ways of playing those characters. Now people hate playing random character matches with me locally, since I'm comfortable with most any of them. I think this is a very important first-step to getting better at Smash. How can you hope to beat a foe if you hardly know how the character plays? Forgive me if I'm wrong and you have already done this.

Walk a mile in each character's shoes, and walk 100 miles in your main character(s)' shoes. Going to that character's sub-forum on here to learn advanced techniques certainly can help as well. Training Mode is your friend for the really tough ones. Lastly, be patient. You can read all there is to know about a character and how to play it well in a relatively short period of time, but it takes hours, days, weeks to master it yourself. Can I pull off flawless MALLCs with Shulk like it's second nature? Not yet, but maybe I will someday.

Hope this helps!

ShineTaku

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3222-5954-8463
Thanks for the amazing reply! I'll try definitely the All-star thing. :)
I have to improve on my basic skills before going onto the advanced stuff, for one I know I suck at punishing people and I get punished too often, its just the years of casually playing have given me many bad habits and the not knowing how to punish is one.

Last edited:

KKSgaming

Smash Rookie
only way to get better put the time it. I try set up time each week where all I do is uses character I don't normal use.time is biggest factor for most but with 3ds it easy to sqeuze time in .

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Just keep trainin' and trainin'! Also, you should look at a guide here on SmashBoards.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573
Speaking of Mario, his Cape is way too overpowered. They should've at least let you grab him.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
another thing you would have to work on after you get some of the basics down and feel comfortable with that is reading your opponent. try and figure out what they will do next and try and figure out your best option to either avoid it completely or counter attack and stop them dead in their tracks. i love playing as marth if you want at sometime we can spar and i can at least try and help you im not much of a teacher type but i do like helpin people :p

Taxtation

Smash Rookie
If you know any friends that also is in the smash scene that isn't spam rolls and projectiles,then play 1v1 for a bit.If you know any that are better than you that has no good use of his time,train with him/her.It's a lot less agonizing then playing against FG people.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Malik actually makes a solid point, one good way to achieve success is to "double your rate of failure." It may be frustrating of course but you can learn a great deal that way, especially if you can take the time to carefully look over your replays so you can point out what to remove from your game, and more importantly, what to build on. Also, remember that the opposite of success isn't failure, it's quitting. Don't give up!

Last edited:

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
ok i'll try to say a few things, i'm no pro or anything tho

what i feel is important seems to be something a lot of people say in these threads, like WindHero above - you need to teach yourself to review yourself. you need to be an analyser, you need to be intelligent, you need to review your own games. you sort of should be able to commentate a game. this doesn't mean you save every single game you ever play and dissect it like you're doing homework, you can't go all in like that or you will suffocate yourself under pressure. i think anyone who wants to be good at anything needs to want to understand everything in that field, you need to want to know everything there is to be known, you can't go in half-assed, "i want to beat a friend, what can i do to get better" hoping to learn a quick gimmick that wins. this isn't having a go, of course, just trying to highlight how this something deeper than just a game you learn a thing or two about to get good.

we fear the unknown the most, so as others have said, you must play smash in all kinds of ways. use heaps of characters, understand how they move and feel, so when you come up against one it isn't so scary and unknown. play heaps! play for fun, play because you want to, play because you're bored and have a spare half hour, play because you have two hours and you're super keen to become the best in the world. play lots, spend time playing, that's how you get better, literally play the game

the more you play, the more you develop your own style. you don't really know the difference between toon link and link right now, yeah? so learn that! you should want to play the game and understand what makes those characters different - you read about how link is heavier but stronger, yes? you should feel it for yourself so it's something you understand and not just read. you must understand everything in your own way, if you try to absorb any advanced information without those basics you'll get lost! there is no easy fix, there is no skill to learn to take you to the top, unless you're wobbling with ice climbers??

your game and your punish game comes from your knowledge of your character and your opponent and what works and what doesn't - every second, every movement. it starts off simple, like "hey, if i throw my bomb, then dash towards him, he's panicking over the bomb and not expecting my hit!" - then say that becomes something you do, and your opponent catches onto it, you become more versatile - saying "hey, i can throw my bomb at this guy, he shields then rolls back because he knows i'll attack, so maybe i'll sit and charge an arrow to hit him with" (there are better examples to give but better players will give them when the time comes). build on what you know works and change around what doesn't work.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
This board is amazing. I have yet to see any troll-a@@ "git gud" posts. The Smash Facebook groups are cancerous.

Yet, I'm part of the problem.

Anyway, on to a more on-topic reply, pretty much everyone has already said everything. Play the whole cast to get a general feel for the characters, so you know how they play and what to expect when a human takes place. Also, yes, play your friend more, but also try to find a solid sparring partner here on the boards, such as myself. You're on the 3DS, I'm on the 3DS, we both wanna level up, so lets link up and get some good matches going on.

Also, try not to YOLO bad moves with lots of lag, such as smash attacks. Go for more normals and tilts. If you have a projectile-heavy character, use them to wall out your opponent and bait them into doing something unsafe. And figure out your character's frame traps. They REALLY come in handy.

LemonOtter

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-7061-4628
Here's a simple tip that's like gradual muscle milk for your smash skills.

Don't treat it like its just a game you play for fun. Its kind of like how instead of thinking of monopoly as a board game you think of it as a simplified tycoon simulation.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Here's a simple tip that's like gradual muscle milk for your smash skills.

Don't treat it like its just a game you play for fun. Its kind of like how instead of thinking of monopoly as a board game you think of it as a simplified tycoon simulation.
Play it like you're trying to take over the world.

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
In order to play competitively you need these things, a main, a secondary, a tactic, a ton of practice, and most of all patience! If you need a sparring partner i'm always here, just give me your FC and challenge me when you want! I will mostly be online so if you need some sparring just contact me on smashboards

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
In order to play competitively you need these things, a main, a secondary, a tactic, a ton of practice, and most of all patience! If you need a sparring partner i'm always here, just give me your FC and challenge me when you want! I will mostly be online so if you need some sparring just contact me on smashboards
Hey man, would love to spar with you. I'm at work right now, but my FC is 1822-0707-9862

Top Bottom