• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get back on the stage?

taolem

Smash Cadet
If you were launched above the stage, with your foe trying to keep you off, how would you usually get back on the stage? (Not exactly edgeguarding, just directly above the stage)

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
If you were launched above the stage, with your foe trying to keep you off, how would you usually get back on the stage? (Not exactly edgeguarding, just directly above the stage)
There are lots of ways. You just need to mix things up. You can airdodge in the air in Smash 4, so that's one way to keep from getting juggled. If your character has moves that change your aerial velocity/direction, those can be useful too. Additionally, if you have any high priority aerial moves, that can be useful in breaking through whatever move your opponent is using to juggle you.

Pit_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
You could try using your Up B to get out of range and fall in another direction while they have to wait for their ending lag to stop to try to hit you again, and them have them realise that because they ran out of double-jumps now have to land on the ground, guaranteeing you to land safely.

But that's just my opinion, and no one playstyle will work 100%.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I often do an airdodge + jump to bait them into going somewhere, then I land in a different spot. I also do that even when falling, and the glide mechanic in the game makes it so easy.

Also high-priority dairs or projectiles you can toss down, like Megaman's metal blade, can help you

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
My advice is to preserve that double jump, save it for when it's absolutely necessary.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I usually go off the right side of the stage and start aiming myself to grab onto the ledge. Definitely not safe, but it gets the job done.

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Depends on the character honestly. If I'm playing bowser my descent strategy is going to vary in comparison to, say D3. If I'm bowser my kit gives me a plethora of options such as bowser bombing the ledge, aimed fire breath, a koopa klaw aerial land cancel, or maybe even a dair if I feel like the wind portion will push them away. If I'm triple D I've got 5 jumps for a multitude of fake outs, and I can aid my descent with a up-tilted gordo.

IMO descent to the stage is character dependent.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Jigglypuff is among the best descent characters, due to having 6 jumps XP

And interestingly enough, most Bowsers I face descend with either down B or dair, both of which are easy to dodge and punish XDD

Last edited:

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3

And interestingly enough, most Bowsers I face descend with either down B or dair, both of which are easy to dodge and punish XDD
I will never understand why all the other bowsers I see online insist on bowser bombing down to the stage. The only time I would even think about that is if someone was super aggressively chasing me through the air, and even then I'd rather use dair since the endlag is shorter iirc.

But I digress, both aren't the greatest descent options for bowser imo.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990

smart Bowsers will use the down B!...

...to grab the ledge. xD

Honestly, it depends on the character. For the 4 I play, my habits are as following:

:4wiifit:: Air dodge, Down B Canceling to quickly change trajectory.
:4bowser:: Bowser Bomb the ledge or airdodge when high up in the air. otherwise fast falling
:4rob:: moving as far to the right/left i can, pressuring my opponent with gyros and laser while i decent. If he is coming for me, Nair.
:4villager:: still learning him, but dair is great because disjointed hitbox, side B to airstall, Breversing neutral B to have a similiar effect going like :4wiifit:'s downB cancel

Top Bottom