• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How-To: Gamecube Games on Your Wii U (or newer Wii)

Doq

Smash Lord
DISCLAIMER: There have been some issues with running games with an actual memory card. I will write up another guide for doing so with a virtual card using your save data.
So if you're anything like me, you have a newer Wii or a Wii U, right? That's why you came to this thread in the first place. Well whilst looking through my vast local library of Homebrew, I stumbled across a pretty recent piece of software that allows 2012 Wii's and Wii U's to play Gamecube games. This guide I wrote is for those who are like me and want to Melee or... well since this is the Melee Workshop, just Melee! :p

You'll need a few things:
1. Nintendont. This is the piece of software that is the core of your Gamecube play.

2. Make sure your IOS 58 is up to date. Wii U's you're fine, but Wiis should be at v6176. NUS Downloader and WAD Manager are helpful for this.
3. A compatible controller. Right now controller support is really vast and easily extensible. If your controller doesn't work it's a piece of Chinese crap and get a good controller.
4. A copy of Melee. No I will not provide this for you, go get your own.
Setting up your Wii (U):
Pre-1. Install your IOS if necessary. You know the drill here, I hope.
1. Put Nintendont in your SD like any other homebrew. Here is an icon.png and a meta.xml for the OCD.
2. Plug in your controller. On Wii U's this is in the front, on 2012 Wii's this is in the back.
3. Just copy your image to K:\games\foldername, where K:\ is your SD card and foldername can be anything. Rename the image to "game.iso".
4. Boot your Wii into the homebrew channel and launch Nintendont.

Any issues you find just let me know.

Rev2: Removed DMToolbox. It's not needed anymore.
Rev3: Updated Nintendont links.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
So this works for the Wiis from 2012-, right?

Those are the ones with no GCN stuff. Can I use it on the Wiis with GCN stuff on them?

Quillion

Smash Hero
What happens if, after attempting to boot the game, my Wiimote has all of it's "player lights" turn on and linger there, and I get a black screen?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hm. Never had that happen before. Make sure you have a 4.3 Wii.
It's 4.3.

I think someone suggested that my CleanRip of Melee was corrupted. I've re-ripped it and I'm preparing to try again.

Someone else suggested (off this site) that it's my flash drive that doesn't work with DIOS MIOS. Unfortunately, there's only a very limited database on what flashdrives work with them.

Doq

Smash Lord
It's 4.3.

I think someone suggested that my CleanRip of Melee was corrupted. I've re-ripped it and I'm preparing to try again.

Someone else suggested (off this site) that it's my flash drive that doesn't work with DIOS MIOS. Unfortunately, there's only a very limited database on what flashdrives work with them.
Most "flash drives" will work with DM/ND. Some external HDDs will not.

Quillion

Smash Hero
DIOS MIOS and Nintendont are completely separate, correct?

If DIOS MIOS is installed, does it interfere with Nintendont's operations?

ragnarokx

Smash Rookie
How is the lag playing on Wii U using normal LCD TVs? Is the Wii U able to play Melee in HD so there is no upscaling lag?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've gotten a Melee SD Remix FST running off of SD on Nintendont.

Compared to DIOS MIOS, the loading times are much greater, but things are generally more stable. For example, completing Adventure Mode and beating Giga Bowser doesn't cause the game to crash.

Doq

Smash Lord

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Didn't follow any of you guide. Worked on 2006 Wii that has DIOS MIOS on it. Unfortunately, the Blue PS hack still doesn't work.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Later versions of Nintendont don't require these and load files from your SD as fast as possible.
So will the cache system still work to speed it up if you have a recent version?

Another thing, how do you get Nintendont to read your physical memory card?

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
So will the cache system still work to speed it up if you have a recent version?

Another thing, how do you get Nintendont to read your physical memory card?
Yeah. All the cache system does is copy often-used files to unused RAM.

Hit B for settings and turn Memory Card Emulation off.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah. All the cache system does is copy often-used files to unused RAM.

Hit B for settings and turn Memory Card Emulation off.
When I turn MCEmu off (for SD Remix), it's unable to write to the Memory Card. It can't save anything.

When MCEmu is on, it can save things.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem, my physical memmory card doesn't want to work with Nintendont. It works fine in Dios Mios. It's not really a problem since I can use virtual memory card, which works fine.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Somehow forcing PAL60 doesn't work with nintendont, I get a black screen when trying it. Leaving video on Auto gives me a black and white video signal since I use SCART/have a PAL Wii. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks in advance

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Also, don't know if its just me but sometimes stages and the menu load without music. This is fixed by just reseting the match or going back to the menu.

UniClown

Smash Rookie
If Dios Mios is working perfectly for me now, is there any reason I should install Nintendont?

zankyou

Smash Lord
When using this method, does melee take advantage of the wii's hardware since there isnt a gc inside. for instance, does FoD not lag for teams?

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Also, don't know if its just me but sometimes stages and the menu load without music. This is fixed by just reseting the match or going back to the menu.
I get the same issue and was the main reason I switched back to DIOS MIOS. I want to start using Nintendont again for the memory card emulation, but I tried it out again and got the same problem. There's no way that it's only you and me having this problem unless we both have some outdated cIOS on our Wiis or something.

Doq

Smash Lord
I get the same issue and was the main reason I switched back to DIOS MIOS. I want to start using Nintendont again for the memory card emulation, but I tried it out again and got the same problem. There's no way that it's only you and me having this problem unless we both have some outdated cIOS on our Wiis or something.
I get the same problem, but it only happened on newer builds. Idk either.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I get the same problem, but it only happened on newer builds. Idk either.
What build are you using where it does not happen? Also, after switching to memory emulation and playing a 6 hour session tonight, it only occured once so it's not the hugest deal.

Doq

Smash Lord
What build are you using where it does not happen? Also, after switching to memory emulation and playing a 6 hour session tonight, it only occured once so it's not the hugest deal.
I think it was 1.121 or som'n. A build that is REALLY REALLY old.

Top Bottom