• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight a doc

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
Well my friend plays doc...and just lately I've been having problems with it...
I always get gimped back bairs or else I'll get hit by a simple neutral a -> dsmash...
I don't let him cape me though I always do my recovery backwards.

Any tips?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
This is my most experienced matchup, as I frequently fight the best Docs in the Houston area...just so you know that I'm legit. It's good that you do a reversed recovery, that is the first thing to get in the habit of. However, that isn't his best edgeguard against ganon. Doc can do a triple bair over the edge and return, edgehogging Ganon immediately afterward. To counter this, you just have to learn to time your Fair or Uair just before he reaches you. It's difficult because the bair has such great range.

If doc spams bair while on the stage, just turn around and antihop Bairs, because it WILL outrange docs bair. Doc's sex kick is definately a killer, because it gets stronger as it flies, and it can fly right through Ganon's fair easily. However, if you retreat your fairs, it will either hit first, or you will both hit. Either way, it will scare Doc out of trying that again, since the Fair's trajectory is more of a killer than doc's neutral A. If you do happen to get hit by the kick, there isn't much you can do to prevent a combo afterward if your damage is low.

When the Doc you fight gets better, you will most likely have to learn to deal with his chain grabs and pill spamming. When you are getting chaingrabbed, just make sure you don't jump out of it into a Doc punch, its best to just land and tech in a safe direction. To stop pill spamming, just break the pills with neutral-A and ftilt, and Bair will often hit a pill and Doc's face if you are close enough

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
Pills aren't really the problem...I just use a SHFFL'd Nair to take care of the pills...because it can go thru and also hit him... thanks for the advice and also I have another question, after every air he shields should i throw in a quick neutral-a? I think it prevents shield grabbing...correct me if I'm wrong.

Linguini

Smash Master
Yeah, jabs are essential to prevent shield grabbing to use this as much as possible. I have alot of experience in this matchup and I can give you some help.
Bair is something you want to be using alot against doc, it bites straight through his pills and any of his aerials. Forward tilts(angled down too) can keep doc at bay so he wont get inside you wihc is really bad for ganon due to Doc's crazy combo's on ganon.
Basically everything that BTD said is true.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Reverse uairs screw doc's recovery. Very important. It can eat his pill and then spike him all in one go.

Otherwise, doc lives to a high percentage. All of ganon's killing moves sends him pretty high up, and he's a floaty.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
About jabbing after you get your aerials shielded: People who are experienced against ganon will know to shield the jab too, so just make sure you are spaced well enough so that the jab will push then back away from shield grabbing range. Also, if they do happen to shield your jab, often if you do a fsmash immediately afterward, they will attempt a shield grab but miss cuz you leaned back, then you will punish them.

Magus420

Smash Master
Spaced/semispaced f-air -> JC grab also works well against people that expect the immediate follow up jab on their shield and/or are good at shieldgrabbing the jab if you're too close. Tick throw ftw.

Top Bottom