• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to defeat Pikachu as Diddy Kong?

Hungryformore21

Smash Cadet
Me and my brother play a ton of smash (don't we all?). He and I were pretty much equal until one day he kicked my butt so bad that I Immediately asked for a rematch. He beat me again. And again. And he keeps on beating me to this day. I've lost it all. I'm bad at this game. but that doesn't stop me from quitting. I need some good Diddy Kong strategies! Let me fill you guys in.

My Main: Diddy Kong.

My Brothers Main: Pikachu.

Our Stage: Final Destination.

Items: Off

Match: Time 4 mins

This is pretty much how we play. I Need to know how to get the most out of Diddy Kong in 4 mins.

First of all, let me tell you how my brother plays. Then I'll tell you how I play.

As I said before my brother is a Pikachu main. If you would ever playing my bro a lot you would notice many things:

1. He likes to abuse his thunder attack.

2. He likes to hit and run.

3. He loves to charge up skull bash from a distance (we all do).

4. He doesn't grab often.

5. He doesn't shield often.

6. He doesn't sidestep.

7. He doesn't doge in midair.

8. He doesn't use Ukemi (but he just found it's in brawl so he might as well use it now).

9. He loves his down air attack.

10. He loves his downward smash attack.

11. AND HE LOVES TO TAUNT!!!!!

That is the basics of my brother. Now I will tell you his basic strategies.

At The game start he will run to the edge of the stage and uses his thunder jolt continuously. When that happens I am usually forced to the air to get to him. He'll then wait for me to vertically line up with him and then he'll use his thunder attack. As lame as this sounds, the strategy, I confess, is ingenious. Diddy Kong has a hard time moving through the air horizontally, and his Rocket Barrel will leave him vulnerable after using them.

Once I am hit by a smash attack or thunder he will usually use many air attacks to keep me at bay. when my damage is up to around 72% his is about 20% which is a huge advantege for him. Many times though, i become careless enough that let myself vertically align with him. When that happens, he will let his thunder attack take care of me. if he hit me just right, i'll go higher into the air and he'll use his thunder again. and then i'm ko'ed. that is pretty much how the game will go. But notice this. the only time that he abuses the thunder jolt attack is at the start of the game! never later in the game (except maybe on a sudden death). Another thing is that he also likes to keep me grounded with his down air attack. he also LOVES his skull bash. Which is VERY easy to dodge with a simple sidestep. And one more thing. He LOVES to taunt when I'm ko'ed instaed of setting up.

Let's move on to me now.

If would play me a lot you would notice. (I love Diddy)

1. That I LOVE my shields ( sidestepping, rolling, you name it)

2. That I don't rely on my banana's often (for reasons that I'll explain later)

3. That I LOVE MY SPIKE!!!!

4. My peanut popgun would be used to annoy you at close range.

5. That I use the hit and run method.

6. I make a few FATAL mistakes.

7. That my monkey flip Is actually used to fool my opponents.

8. That I Refuse to use my Rocket Barel to attack.

9. That I'll make some unknown mistake that I make every game.

10. I love Ukemi.

11. And I Lose miserably to most people (except lvl 9 cpu's. jk jk)

In case You haven't noticed I did explain some of my strategies on my brothers strategies. But first of all you probably are wondering how monkey flip can be used to fool my opponent. If you haven't noticed Monkey Flip has almost no lag after you have used it. Once have touched the ground roll in any direction. You need to be pretty darn quick to pull it off. To use it to fool people, you must be at a distance that you are sure diddy kong won't latch onto an opponent but close enough that you are almost touching him after the attack has finished. As soon as you hit ground roll to the other side of your opponent and smash attack your opponent. When doing monkey flip your opponent may be calculating the same way that you have (meh... he's not gonna reach me from there) and he will likely charge up for a smash attack. Of course your gonna take him by surprise and attack him from the opposite direction. It works very well, that is if your fast enough. Try it sometime!

And another thing. Many people seem to over rely on Diddy Kong's bananas. I don't. Bananas only work when thrown at an opponent, and when they do hit your opponent you have to run up and attack. And after your opponent has recovered he is very likely to pick up the banana and throw it back at you. Yes, I don't use banana's often.

Diddy Kong's spike is AMAZING. I love to use short hops and just spike my opponent. Of course, I need to be quick on bro because of his thunder. But let's just say that I use my spike OFTEN.

And the peanut popgun is one of my least used specials. Primarily is because of the charge.

Anyway, that is pretty much how we play. What should I do to beat my brother? Should I learn some new stuff? Is How can I use Diddy's speed to fight some one that likes to fight at close range? And also when he's taunting instead of setting up, should I use this opportunity to do something? I NEED HELP!

And my brother wants me to say that I a 13 year old can't beat a little 11 year old

Player-1

Smash Legend
Don't rely on spikes as much as you should, but you did mention he doesn't air dodge a lot so it could be good. He spams thunder? Spam bananas, i know you said you don't use it before, but only throw when he is in the lag of his thunder or dair. I like to hang on panels when they spam thunder jolt and fair off them when they get close, or do a short hop to a side b kick if i'm close enough, but that leaves you open to a dsmash unless he has high damage

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
And another thing. Many people seem to over rely on Diddy Kong's bananas. I don't. Bananas only work when thrown at an opponent, and when they do hit your opponent you have to run up and attack. And after your opponent has recovered he is very likely to pick up the banana and throw it back at you. Yes, I don't use banana's often.

Diddy Kong's spike is AMAZING. I love to use short hops and just spike my opponent. Of course, I need to be quick on bro because of his thunder. But let's just say that I use my spike OFTEN.
These are your main two weaknesses. You don't think bananas are very useful because you are not aware of their potential. There are many many more uses for the bananas than you seem to believe. Use more bananas, and experiment with them. Try to learn new ways to use them. This is your biggest road to improvement at the moment. I will admit that they are harder to use against a small target like Pikachu; but you need something to interrupt that dirty rat's rythm, or you will just get *****.

And lay off the spike. Sure, it is amazing. But it is not a good move to be spammed. Diddy's spike does not have a very big hit box and has a lot of lag, especially if you are using it out of a short-hop. Landing from that move causes an enormous amount of lag, which will get you punished in no time. Especially if you are trying to use it on the lightning-fast Pikachu. The main use for Diddy's spike is for hitting your enemy while he's off the stage. Though it can be useful in moderation in random air fights as well.

Oh. People here usually refer to that as "tech-ing", as that is what it was called in Melee.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Feed him your nuts!

1) Get good at dodging his skull bash- it is a very predictable move that is pretty easy to stay out of the way of and very punishable.
2) Diddy's forward kick is killer. Learn how to short hop and kick someone in the face to catch them off guard.
3) Don't over use the spike. Spikes are easy kills when you are able to do them, but are usually easy to dogde if you are a fairly nimble character with decent recovery (i.e. pikachu). Instead, get really good with them and suprise your opponent with one or 2 well executed spikes. It's hard to spike a character that can summon lightning directly above him.
4) Stay close to him, otherwise you will be overwhelmed by his projectile.

There are just a few tips, Pikachu is not as good as Diddy 1v1 imo

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Also if you are just fighting 1v1, there is no reason to play time matches. Stock is much better.

And Final Destination kinda gives Pika an advantage (makes it easy to spam lightning for example). Don't be afraid to play on some other stages. Final is just one of the good stages in Brawl. One of my personal favorites is the Animal Crossing stage. The floating platform can help to set up some nice banana combos.

Hungryformore21

Smash Cadet
Also if you are just fighting 1v1, there is no reason to play time matches. Stock is much better.

And Final Destination kinda gives Pika an advantage (makes it easy to spam lightning for example). Don't be afraid to play on some other stages. Final is just one of the good stages in Brawl. One of my personal favorites is the Animal Crossing stage. The floating platform can help to set up some nice banana combos.
Well..... I would be doing a stock match but my brother despises stock.... maybe a time stock?

Oh and i will take your advice about stage choice:)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Idk, i do that a lot of the time, except for the rolly smash part, only because they hit me before i can, the move is one of diddy's laggier moves, you wont recover from the lag imediately like dash attack, bair, nair. With some characters it will work because their smashs aren't long enough range to hit when you hit with the very tip of diddy's toe, i don't think that it works with pikachu, maybe your broth er's reaction time isn't quick enough or something (no offense), but i wouldn't try it against other pikachu's

Top Bottom