• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with these types of players?

KuyaMoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
NatsuBrah
I have to quit playing for glory after about 5 matches because of players who only roll, spam smash attacks when not rolling, and spam projectiles when not doing either. I'll admit that I get salty with these types of players, but I want to stop that and just beat them. I've looked at stuff saying use down smash, but that doesn't work. You guys have any tips to deal with these people?

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I dont attempt to beat them
I just SD both stocks and move on to a player that is actually good

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I have to quit playing for glory after about 5 matches because of players who only roll, spam smash attacks when not rolling, and spam projectiles when not doing either. I'll admit that I get salty with these types of players, but I want to stop that and just beat them. I've looked at stuff saying use down smash, but that doesn't work. You guys have any tips to deal with these people?
If the match is lagging, this is the worst to deal with. In that situation I would go with Hunter's suggestion.

Other than that, focus on what they're doing that they think is safe. You can usually only use it against them once before they switch up, but if they don't then keep exploiting it until they do.

Don't let it anger you. That'll make it harder to deal with since you'll lose focus thinking about the outcome of the match.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Projectile spam is really only effective online, as lag makes it more difficult to time powershielding for punishes.

Rolling is more easily punishable. You can anticipate their roll and grab or hit where they will end up. Or you can cover multiple options (if they only spot dodge, roll left or right, etc.) by using an attack that sweeps the ground (PK Fire, Falcon Kick, most dash attacks, etc.).

Smash attacks are most easily punishable by sending in a projectile. Otherwise, you can try to punish with a grab, dash attack or running up smash. Some smash attacks have deceptively short endlag (Ganon's Up Smash, Sonic's F-Smash) though so watch out.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I had an opponent last night playing a palutena that really did nothing but roll and smash, which is a pain with jigglypuff. No lag, sure, easy enough, you can just rest to punish the roll. not as easy online with slight lag.

I just switched to mewtwo and beat them down with shadowballs and tilts, which forced them to actually try fighting instead of just rolling around.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Play :4fox:, :4falco:, :4pit:, :4darkpit:, or :4mario:.

You can't spam against them (reflectors), they have good projectiles of their own (especially on Omega stages), and they're fast and strong enough to punish projectile, smash, and dash attack spam.

Basically play "Anti-Meta" so to speak against the Meta of For Glory. If you find someone who doesn't fit your criteria then Congrats! You've found a half-decent player and play your main against them.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Take good use of Sonic's speed, try other options of approaching, powershield the projectiles, attack them with Robin's magic, Down-Smash (only as Sonic: Robin's only hit the direction he is facing) when they are approaching with rolls, troll them as if you are going to evade and, if the match is lagging, SD both stocks. There is nothing worse than Laggy Spammers.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
What character is the best to Counter Link Spammers?
Fox.

Sit back and just shoot lasers at them from across the stage. Sakurai decided he wanted to give For Glory Links an extra hand with the last patch by making shield block lasers now, but it still flinches them on the Hylian shield which basically means they can either approach or get inched back to the edge laser by laser.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Fox.

Sit back and just shoot lasers at them from across the stage. Sakurai decided he wanted to give For Glory Links an extra hand with the last patch by making shield block lasers now, but it still flinches them on the Hylian shield which basically means they can either approach or get inched back to the edge laser by laser.
Dont you mean Falco?
Fox's lazers dont flinch..
Plus you need to be half decent with Falco to make him effective...
I wish it was the same for Link...

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Dont you mean Falco?
Fox's lazers dont flinch..
Plus you need to be half decent with Falco to make him effective...
I wish it was the same for Link...
Fox's laser is indeed blocked by link's shield now, which causes link to perform the same reaction as any other projectile he blocks, which is basically a slight "flinch" and being pushed back.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
What character is the best to Counter Link Spammers?
I find it easier to just keep on going with my main and practice powershielding his projectiles. Campy Links can be dismantled pretty easily by just rushing him down. He's got a punishable grab and his attacks are pretty slow with the exception of Jab. If you can get him to attack your shield it's grab city. Repeat till dead.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find it easier to just keep on going with my main and practice powershielding his projectiles. Campy Links can be dismantled pretty easily by just rushing him down. He's got a punishable grab and his attacks are pretty slow with the exception of Jab. If you can get him to attack your shield it's grab city. Repeat till dead.
Worse of all though...he has a grapple hook...he just grabs when you get close...or just side smash..and we all know how fast and strong that is...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If there's one type of player I can't stand in For Glory, it's the Little Mac hit-'n'-runner!

All they do is run back and forth, either dash attacking right close to your or spot dodging around you to throw you off for a smash attack or forward tilt or spot dodge away from all your approaches. They always have to throw out smashes though, having you fly to the edge of the stage every time just to make a it a ***** to gain a comeback. Oh, and don't get me started about the anxiety that ensues when a KO Punch is ready!

I'm already a bit familiar with their tactics and it gets kind of predictable. What have your best methods against these types of Little Macs? Let it be known that I mainly go Robin, Kirby, or Pac-Man on For Glory.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Those types of Little Macs are very annoying. Dash attack after dash attack. I still have a hard time fighting them. But one thing I like to do is baiting a counter, then following with a tilt or a grab.

As for Link, good lord. Sometimes I think he is just the "safe" pick. Nothing but spam.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Worse of all though...he has a grapple hook...he just grabs when you get close...or just side smash..and we all know how fast and strong that is...
As long as you haven't whittled your shield down you can hold shield through that smash and grab. If Link gets a little grab happy, spotdodge and charge a smash. He has one of the laggiest whiffed grabs in the game.

link2702

Smash Champion
these are like the easiest players to take out.

if all they do is roll(often behind you) be patient and just turn around when they roll and punish em with a grab or jab. if all they do is smash attacks just be patient and shield it then punish it with a grab.

The key thing about these players is just be patient against em. Don't rush in like a madman, as that will just get you beat. THey're not that hard to outsmart and mindgame em.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
As long as you haven't whittled your shield down you can hold shield through that smash and grab. If Link gets a little grab happy, spotdodge and charge a smash. He has one of the laggiest whiffed grabs in the game.
True.
I think the most annoying thing is the Bull* hitboxes on his moves expecially his down air.... i am clearly on the side of him charging a side smash waiting for him to land infront of me a nasty dark flame elbow from the dorf as expected he uses his Down Air...
Hes coming down..

And hits me....im know were near his sword...i am waiting right next to were he is gonna land i am besides him...

Ok.. i shield it next time what do you know...he bounces of my shield and hits me....ok lets punish after the bounce...sorry bro move is over...

Most Noob friendly move in the game...sorry but Link is the scrubbiest character in the game.
Most Bull* character next to ZSS down air aswell....
Wow...

I am starting to do alot better against them i beat a few today with ganondorf but they werent that scrubby....

But that down air just boils my bloody every time...and its not punishable with Warlock punch super soak armour like i do to Bowser Bomb because it doesnt have enough end lag for me to pull it off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom