• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with pikachu?

Rego71

Smash Rookie
I recently picked up a roy and plan to devote my time to him until I can consider him my main. His match up against pikachu isn't in his favor. One example is not being able to sweet spot his jab after landing a knock back move. My other character is Dk but I doubt that's really any better. Am I missing something with my characters or is there a sure fire counter pick to pikachu? I can't seem to find any info on this on the interwebs so any insigt would be greatly appreciated :)

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Why not donkey kong? He could kill pikachu at 40%

Arrei

Smash Lord
Pikachu is too fast and versatile to really have any sure counterpicks, but his biggest weakness is the short reach on most of his attacks. While his job is to get close to you and keep poking at you in different ways to expose openings, your job as Roy or DK is to keep him out with your long reach and disjoints until he makes a mistake you can capitalize on. Figure out how he likes to approach you and stick hitboxes there, but don't just throw moves out willy-nilly or he'll have the opening he wants.

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Pikach can be a real pain if the player is good. All his aerials auto cancel and come out super quick. As others said, his biggest weakness is his range and also his light weight. Roy is a decent option but is unable to make use of his range advantage due to the sweet spot mechanic. Unless you are extremely quick to punish his whiffs it will be hard to get those strong hits. It would probably be beneficial to just use Chrom for a few specific matchups like this. He plays very similar to Roy since he's an echo so it shouldn't be too hard to adjust. Plus his Nair 1 actually combos into Fsmash unlike Roy :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom