• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to deal with fast characters

Perpz

Smash Rookie
any tips on playing against falco/fox/any fast character? ive been throwing fast combos just trying to build up the percentage and set up a finisiher. my grab game is pretty horrible so its pretty tough to slip in under their defense. any tips from veteran doc players out there?

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I'm unsure if this thread will get closed/deleted soon, but I'll offer my advice anyway, on a more general scale as opposed to the character-specific business on the matchup thread.

The faster characters in the game will depend on the fact that they can lock Doc down, and those who can do nasty **** out of L-cancel (Spacies especially) can really nail you when you try any shieldgrabbing. Thus, the answer is really to stay mobile at all costs. Work on your tech and your movement ALOT; that is running, dashdancing, wavelanding, davedashing, SHFFLing aerials on the fly. All of that will really help. Good hit-and-runs would be wavedash ---->jab, wavedash--->ftilt, wavedash---> dsmash, SHFFL'd nair and uair. Good attacks to waveland out of (whether your'e testing the opponent, or scoring a quick hit before you bounce) would be FJ pill and dair, whereas nair is doable but not always the most useful.

Also practice wavedashing out of shield so that people dont totally wreck you with shieldpressure and pin you to one place.

Hope that helps, good luck!

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Do what I do: 2ndary a spacie. I don't even bother with the matchup. I switch to Falco if confronted with a spacie, and as for Falcon, chain throw from 20-60% and go for u air. For approach from long distance, pill barrage and n air or full hop d air. Falcon's BAD at recovery. If he's off the edge, you got him. You cape his *** back from whence he came. Or be more of a bad *** and b air him till he throws the controller at your face. If he's on the stage at around 100-110%, u throw or d throw to a f air. That's my two cents. But SHFFLs are one HUGE key to doc. An easy damage builder is SHFFLd u airs. If you're dealing with non fast fallers, then some like marth and sheik can be d throw chain grabbed. Do that to I think 50%, and try to take them off stage. B airs and capes are your cocaine. If you use them wisely off stage, you render your opponent hopeless. What? Sheik wants to try to get close for the recovery? B AIR! I think Marth is getting ready to Up b! CAPE! And you always have the D throw to f air to fall back on, but edge guarding is doc's strength.

Perpz

Smash Rookie
thanks for the advice, ya i should have looked at the match up thread. my bad.

Top Bottom