• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Deal With Down Throw Being DI'd

danyal999

Smash Cadet
Hey guys first post here. I'm having a lot of trouble securing a kill off down throw up air when my opponent DI's left or right.

By the time my up air is about to connect they have time to air dodge or double jump out of it. I can always connect it when there's little to no DI, But always miss when they DI far left or right.

I know that's not how its supposed to be because other Shiek players can connect the up air in 50/50 situations, regardless of DI.

Do I have to be super fast with moving to the left/right then double jump up air? I tried but I still miss most of the time. This makes it harder because now I have to rely on air dodge reads and its not a 50/50 anymore. Also, when the opponent mixes up their DI direction, it becomes even harder.

New to Shiek so any help from sheik veterans would be appreciated.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
You should be able to react to the DI, watch where they fly off to and adjust your jump momentum accordingly.
You should know that this is NOT a 50/50, but for the purposes of explaining it, air dodging/not air dodging is the "50/50"
Dthrow uair true combos, but when it stops comboing, they have a little bit before between being able to air dodge and being able to jump (or flip if they have one), because you can air dodge earlier out of hitstun. Escaping the dthrow uair is usually best with a jump because you just get out of the situation albeit losing your second jump. Air dodging uair can put you in a bad situation if you're read, but if you constantly go for the immediate uair, your opponent has little reason not to air dodge.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yeah, it's NOT a 50/50 because at high percents dthrow uair is not a true comvo and they have enough time to double jump and air dodge away. Your best bet is to try and connect fair or try and punish their landings afterwards.

This is assuming they DI correctly, otherwise Uair can connect if they have bad DI. But even then at high percents they still have time to double jump and air dodge.

BlastHappyNinja

Smash Apprentice
Try baiting an air dodge out of your opponent if they're predicting that you're going to Uair immediately. If you wait it out, you can land an Uair on them after they're coming out of their air dodge. If they double jump, you can Bfish them when they're coming down from the jump if they don't expect it (and they usually don't, trust me, lol.) Just some side advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom