• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with bad playstyles

VaLoR_Ryan

Smash Cadet
NNID
VaLoR_Ryan
Have you ever played against someone with a toxic/bad playstyle that you can't stand playing because they abuse something in the game, like non stop spamming Falco lasers, only spams Marth F smashes? How does the community deal with bad playstyles I just would like to know everyone's thoughts.

garotis

Smash Cadet
I think an underlying issue here is that you're assuming there is an objectively correct way to play this game across all opponents (opponents, not characters). If someone can spam forward smashes against you and win, then in that scenario involving specifically you and that person, they played correctly; perhaps not optimally, but they still beat you.

The reason that mid and high level players do not engage in spamming attacks is because once an action becomes predictable, it becomes punishable. If someone is spamming, you need to figure out which move of yours is quick enough for you to run in and punish. If they keep spamming, you will win the match simply because the situation will repeat itself (attack is predicted --> punish --> repeat).

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If it's not a tipper fsmash most characters can wd OoS and grab Marth.

PS Falco lasers, shield them and wd oos backwards, jump over them, etc. It depends on what character you're using (options).

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
I feel victim to this playing a Luigi the other day, he down b'd every two seconds and it was annoying. But the pro to this is that they become extremely predictable when you pick up on their play style.

VaLoR_Ryan

Smash Cadet
NNID
VaLoR_Ryan
If it's not a tipper fsmash most characters can wd OoS and grab Marth.

PS Falco lasers, shield them and wd oos backwards, jump over them, etc. It depends on what character you're using (options).
i appreciate this ill continue to work at it.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Wd OoS is probably the most fundamental punish in the game and you can definitely abuse this on people who don't understand frame data such as what ACE said with a mispaced fsmash from Marth.

TakeANap

Smash Rookie
This was something and something i still kind of struggle with you just have to understand and this is something i had to understand myself, until you can get past and beat that playstyle, the playstyle isnt bad, you are , sorry to be so blunt but those are the facts, instead of thinking "O this guy sucks look what hes doing" play the game and try to win just as hard as he is trying to win, the second you undermine something and think you are better is the second you arent putting your all into winning and just making excuses such as "o that **** is lame"

SAUS

Smash Ace
I think you meant to ask "How to deal with bad mentality".

Getting frustrated about it will only make it harder for you to figure out and beat.

Speed

Smash Rookie
This was something and something i still kind of struggle with you just have to understand and this is something i had to understand myself, until you can get past and beat that playstyle, the playstyle isnt bad, you are , sorry to be so blunt but those are the facts, instead of thinking "O this guy sucks look what hes doing" play the game and try to win just as hard as he is trying to win, the second you undermine something and think you are better is the second you arent putting your all into winning and just making excuses such as "o that **** is lame"
Ok, so this is me. My training partner/friend always abuses a character's best moves. I can see them coming from a mile away but am never able to punish accordingly because I'm too busy thinking, "Why would you do that? That's such a bad habit and a lame playstyle." Besides the same old, "Don't think like that," how can I get away from my bad mentality?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Bad playstyles are just something you have to adapt to, they are everywhere, people with bad playstyles win sometimes because they catch people off guard. just gotta figure out the punish for their stupid playstyles and punish them.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so this is me. My training partner/friend always abuses a character's best moves. I can see them coming from a mile away but am never able to punish accordingly because I'm too busy thinking, "Why would you do that? That's such a bad habit and a lame playstyle." Besides the same old, "Don't think like that," how can I get away from my bad mentality?
Make sure your movement is fast and smooth (ie- make sure you can dash-dance and wavedash consistently so you're not getting stuck in you run, utilize platform wavelands and empty hop wavelands). If you're able to easily put your character where you want them, you should be able to punish pretty reliably. And if you find yourself getting hit with moves that you knew he was going to throw out, you might have issues with spacing as well. Just take notice to how far your opponent can extend a hitbox before you can react, and imagine there's an invisible bubble around their character that once you're inside that range, you're no longer safe from attack. For example, Fox's nair doesn't just control the space that a standing shorthop nair covers, it controls as far as Fox can do a dashing shorthop nair, so that's the bubble that you need to visualize. If you dashdance in and out of that range, you might be able to bait out a sh nair and grab him when he hits the ground. Just one example, but hopefully gives you some ideas of things to keep in mind.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
If your opponent only knows how to do one thing, just force them to anything else. Most players that spam Fsmash only find success because you keep running into Fsmash. Solution: make them approach you. These types of players never know how to approach and you can avoid all their spam by making them come to you. They'll 100% call you lame, but who cares.

Also dash dancing makes new players flip out. You can just dash dance in front of them and whiff punish whatever they do.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
This is why you practice wave dash, dash dancing combos and punishing. Avoid the attack, [Powershield or Overprioratized clang if your extremely good] then punish and then combo. You have to keep this mindset at all times, whenever I touch the opponent, they should be dead.
In Connor's Guide to the 20XX Hack Pack under CPU always techs and DIs randomly:
  • My mindset when I practice: “Every time I touch this CPU, they should be dead. I should either combo or tech chase them to death.”
As a Peach player, I think that this mindset is key if you want to have a top player level punish game like Armada’s.

Another important thing you have to practice is option covering and pressuring.
make sure they're in shield and stays in shield, your priority is to break it as fast as possible

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
To play against someone with a horrible play style, I usually adapt to how they play, read the player, and counter it with a move that is the best punish

Top Bottom