• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with a VERY patient Ganon?

Taeo

Smash Rookie
As a Marth main I used to have no trouble beating a friend of mine - he would always play VERY aggressive and I could simply punish him repeatedly. I told him so and recommended he go for a slower and more deliberate approach. Well I regret it now because he took it to heart and went for the complete opposite approach and now I can't beat him! They are usually close matches - not a blowout - but I didn't win a single match against his Ganon tonight.

He has adopted a playstyle where he will simply stay crouched without moving for upwards of 30-60 seconds at a time. My normal approaches ( dash dance into grabs or shuffled fairs ) get countered much more often than not. He blocks the fairs and grabs. If he misses the timing it generally doesn't matter since he's crouch canceling and still gets the grab anyways. The dash dances get wizard footed every time.

If I let him I'm pretty sure he'd be completely content letting the clock just run out. It's very frustrating. Any ideas?!

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
As a Marth main I used to have no trouble beating a friend of mine - he would always play VERY aggressive and I could simply punish him repeatedly. I told him so and recommended he go for a slower and more deliberate approach. Well I regret it now because he took it to heart and went for the complete opposite approach and now I can't beat him! They are usually close matches - not a blowout - but I didn't win a single match against his Ganon tonight.

He has adopted a playstyle where he will simply stay crouched without moving for upwards of 30-60 seconds at a time. My normal approaches ( dash dance into grabs or shuffled fairs ) get countered much more often than not. He blocks the fairs and grabs. If he misses the timing it generally doesn't matter since he's crouch canceling and still gets the grab anyways. The dash dances get wizard footed every time.

If I let him I'm pretty sure he'd be completely content letting the clock just run out. It's very frustrating. Any ideas?!
When you're DD-ing, be ready to shield at a moment's notice in case Wiz Foot is used.

Also, take advantage of the fact that his OOS options are weak.

When approaching with aerials, if your opponent has a habit of using grab OOS and nothing else, simply SHFFL and run past them, if you're fast enough, you can punish the whiffed grab that results.

Also make a habit of getting Ganon off-stage as soon as you can. His recovery is extremely 1-dimensional and easy to gimp.

If you get ahead of him in stocks, he can't keep up that play-style.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you're getting your Fairs grabbed by Ganon as Marth, then you should really start practicing your spacing. Like, really.

Also, mix up your approaches so that he can't get away with the exact same strategy every time.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
with proper spacing, your fair shouldn't be shield grabbable by a ganon, especially one who's chosen to be immobile. if he's ccing into tilts, it gets trickier, but you should still be able to get into his head by empty jumping into grabs or trying to get behind him with your dash attack (is this possible with marth's dash attack?) or nair.

with regards to wizard's foot, shin summed it up. if he's not using it to punish a tech/oos option of yours, or a whiffed move, you should be able to shield it. just train yourself to watch out for its startup and shield it. you could also find the sweet spot, where your friend likes to throw out a wizard's foot thinking it'll catch you, and just hover there. when he tries to get you with it, dash/walk back out of range and then punish him.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Ganon's grab range is terrible. Unless you're going getting close to him on a fair (which in general you shouldn't do on any character because you'll get grabbed), he shouldn't be able to grab you.

A Marth player I play with punishes my wiz foot's pretty easily with SH nairs. The nair reaches far and low enough to hit Ganon's face before the foot reaches Marth.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Very calmly walk up to your friend. Take a step or two back and forth, and be deliberate about your positioning.

Then tipper FSmash him.

Repeat until he realizes why moving is important in a game literally all about hitting your opponent without them being able to hit you.

Also realize that you are playing a character that excels at hitting things without being hit. Seriously, if you're facing a crouching Ganon, don't run into his face. If you mind your own spacing as Marth, a Ganon that refuses to move (wow) can't do jack. You can spotdodge and punish Wizkicks too. It's not terribly complicated.

Taeo

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips all. I'm going to work on my spacing.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
This questions doesnt make any sense... If Ganon mains were not patient enough to think "maybe next game I can be more viable..", wed probably kill ourselves :/

Top Bottom