• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Dash Dance Effectively in Neutral?

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
I understand Marth's goals is to abuse his movement and range with dash dances to bait out his opponents then punish accordingly. The problem I have against higher level players is when do I dash dance without being punished? Also as a follow up question, how can I make my movement less predictable?

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Don't just dash dance in one place. Move around with the dash dancing, and don't just reach really really far to attack because that just makes it obvious

Toe

Smash Apprentice
You want to be thoughtfully dash dancing. If you're pointlessly doing it chances are you'll get punished. Have a goal in mind like baiting a certain move that you think they are going to put out and dash dance accordingly. If you want your movement to be less predictable you can vary the length of your dash dances or even slowly be moving forward or away with them. Also look into using offensive and defensive dash dancing as they have different purposes. Sometimes involving platforms, wave lands, and other things alike can be a useful mix up if your movement is becoming too predictable.

*Edit: Incorporating wave dashes is important too.

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Try to give yourself enough space so that you don't have to shield within 3 frames (one twentieth of a second) of inputting a direction. When I say this, I don't mean actually think about the frames, I mean space yourself so you don't have to worry about the emergency situation where you have to hit the block button. If you press shield in that window you roll, which is not invincible the next frame like shielding.

Learn the fox trot distance to dash back multiple times if necessary, and even dash away a second time to immediate dash back (Smash 4 dash dance).

Don't hit directions pre-emptively. Move out as necessary to avoid incoming approaches or to get out of the range of extremely quick options. You can dash in to try to bait an action. If you don't have time do dash again, just shield, wd out as necessary.

Try to use longer dash dance lengths (the longest non-foxtrot ones) except when trying to make someone think you're doing a bad DD, then go further with the next ones, or when trying to fake an approach, or as necessary to move into place in time, or to deal with someone trying to find a rhythm in your DD (all of these have visual cues of varying subtlety you can pick up with experience). For slightly further spacing an similar timing, tap dash back->pivot grab as opposed to regular DD->grab.

Don't be afraid to just wavedash if your movement isn't pristine at the moment.

When doing tighter/closer DD where you hold direction, be ready to just keep holding that direction and go into full run, and pick up Cactuar dash for when you have the space (WD and shield are also things). JC grab/shield stop grab is preferably done out of initial dash in the case of the former, and exclusively in the case of the latter.

Obviously there's other options than grab, but I'm mentioning it because it's the easiest, the most applicable to various techniques, and usually the best anyway.

If you don't think you need to avoid a certain hitbox and get moving some other way in a small amount of time, there's not too much purpose to dash dancing beyond option coverage (often meaning you didn't need to do at least one of the dashes) or giving a deceptive visual cue to the opponent (baiting); all of which can be done at the same time. With that said, it's an amazing option, and the most important movement option in the entire game, more powerful than any move.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
I've always had a problem dding against sheik because of his quick dash attack. Anyone have any advice or should I just get gud lol?

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
As PPMD has said before, Marth's dashdance only poses a threat because behind it looms an incoming Dtilt, Fair, Grab, or whatever else. If they don't respect Marth's offensive options, they won't be afraid of your dash dancing.
You can't simply DD in circles and expect fear. You need to poke out a Dtilt, dash towards, dash away, do a retreat Fair, DD in place, shield, stuff like that. It needs to have variation to pose a threat.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
As PPMD has said before, Marth's dashdance only poses a threat because behind it looms an incoming Dtilt, Fair, Grab, or whatever else. If they don't respect Marth's offensive options, they won't be afraid of your dash dancing.
You can't simply DD in circles and expect fear. You need to poke out a Dtilt, dash towards, dash away, do a retreat Fair, DD in place, shield, stuff like that. It needs to have variation to pose a threat.
Don't reject WD into poke, either sometimes it's your only option. Also, using Cactuar Dashing can be super useful

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
I also understand we can use run cancel's into X option. Is it better than just dash dancing into wavedash or we should use both as mix ups with our movement? ( I think answered my own question lol)

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I also understand we can use run cancel's into X option. Is it better than just dash dancing into wavedash or we should use both as mix ups with our movement? ( I think answered my own question lol)
You answered your own question. Never be predictable

Top Bottom