• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Continue Chain Grabs while PS Transforms

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You just grabbed your opponent on PS1 before the stage is changing and you want to try to convert the CG that is normally lost. There are a few things you can do to increase your chances of converting the CG from 0% to closer to 50% of the time.

Full proof methods:
Go to the far right side on the metallic part. Everything but the rock phase is fine for the left side metallic part.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14854479&postcount=6

[collapse="Outdated Gimmicks"]
If you grab them at super low percents but can't make it to the sides in time:

Grab > P Solo Dthrow CG > Right before level Transforms Dthrow Regrab with Nana > N Dthrow > P Dash Grab the same timing you'd regrab on a solo Dthrow (keep repeatedly inputting it because the level changing sometimes cancels moves) > Continue Solo Dthrow /CG

If you dthrow with nana, her solo dthrow lasts longer, so the percent it stops at is close to a throw or two above the maximums in Ealert's thread.

Not guaranteed methods:

If you're godlike at footstooling:

Grab > Dthrow until stage is about to transform > P Bthrow > wait as long as possible > N Footstool > Transformation finishes > Grab Opponent out of footstool before they hit ground

I did this on Tyrant one time and Mikehaze was super confused on what just happened on the screen lol. I can't do this one consistently because I'm not amazing at Nana Footstool timing, but I think this is probably the most guaranteed one at outside of solo dthrow percents. You can't IB reset because the hobbling mechanics don't always work 100% of the time.

If you grab at higher percents and can't make it to the sides in time:

Grab > Dthrow walk > P Dthrow > N Regrab > N Pummel > Opponent Ground Break at level transformation > P Regrab > Wait until mash out time > P Pummel > Opponent Ground Break > N Dash Grab > Continue CG

Most people won't mash as hard because they think PS will automatically grab break for them. Last time I checked, it took Nana 138 frames to return and dash grab to an opponent after the aerial break. Ideally you would try to eat as close to 30 frames on the ground break animations as possible.

Your opponent mash speed after that will ultimately help them break out if they can mash moderately well. However, the positive is, if they grab break, at the neutral state, unless the character has an invincible option out of shield, the grab break will occur in a neutral position for them but desynced for you, so you can use popo to force them to spot dodge while having Nana grab them out of spot dodge on return.

As you can see, a lot of things have to go right for this to work, but it does work, I promise.[/collapse]

DeLux

I don't understand why everyone counter picked me to PS1

I think I beat everyone there but Pwii when we played ><

DeLux

Alright, forget everything I said in the earlier posts

As stage is transforming:

P Dthrow > N Buffered DJ (or just FH depending on character) > Nair Fair > P Dash Grab > Continue CG

The goal is to time the P dthrow to throw just as the transformation window ends as the stage forces the typical grab break if still in grab state, but you can't grab reak what you've already thrown. The transformation will preemptively end your throw cooldown animation, thus giving you more time to dash grab the opponent out of forward air spike. Should work regardless of percent (I had a hard time doing it to MK around 105% and timing gets more lenient the heavier the character and the earlier in percent) assuming your opponent gets less than 5 SDI inputs (possible, but not likely)

You can also use Bthrow in place of Dthrow, but the timing is much stricter. Might be a fallback option if spacing calls for it.

You can also use Ice Shot to force getup, but that would then be dependent on your opponent's inability to tech. Only use if you're REALLY bad at the dash grab part of it.

Thanks, have a nice day

Top Bottom