• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to approach/ space against Marth?

GrilledCheese

Smash Rookie
I have a really hard time with a Marth main who I play with a lot... I guess I'm not good at dealing with Marth's range. Even if I land a hit, I usually get hit right afterward. Advice?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Well understand that you aren't just getting hit back immedtialty because he is better than you or something like that.
If you are getting hit right out of your attacks then you are either going for unsafe attacks, he is crouch canceling, you are not spacing well enough, or his percent is too low.

If you have trouble dealing with his range then bair more and bair smarter in all seriousness. Try to bait attacks using your aerial mobility. I like staying at around a 45 (essentially above and away) degree angle up and away from marth out of fmash range. Just float around, jock for some stage control and either punish a whiff or get in with an aerial.

How do you go about approaching him? What does a typical engagement look like from neutral? Is he out spacing you and fair'ing you?
I don't play all that much puff but those are my two cents.

GrilledCheese

Smash Rookie
I think I'm probably not spacing myself as well as I could be. It also might be that I don't think through attacks/ approaches as much as I should.
Usually, I approach with bairs, and yes, he usually catches me with a fair.

GrilledCheese

Smash Rookie
I know Marth should probably be one of my easiest matchups as Jiggs, but still.... I have a hard time with the spacing, and I want to know what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Marth is difficult for me too as Jiggs. It's a lot of weaving around and baiting attacks then attacking him in his lag. Gimping his recovery is really good because Marth's recover is sub-par.

GrilledCheese

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you definitely have a point about gimping opportunities. And after thinking about your comment more, I realize that I don't do enough baiting, and I don't punish lag as well as I should. I'm going to try playing more patiently and see if that allows me to land more hits and punish more effectively.

Massive

Smash Champion
Wavedash OoS is probably the most important thing you can do vs marth. That and ducking grabs.

Also keep in mind that if you land behind him and he's in shield, he can't do anything even remotely useful to you.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
How do you guys deal with Marths that throw in random fsmashes? Spacing normally a random wavesmash can tipper you, but then if you play safer to account for that, I feel you end up giving him too much room to work with and he ends up pushing you back

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No one really randomly fsmashes. There is always some kind of a pattern that you can predict. Also Fsmash is very unsafe against Puff so they shouldn't throw them around much.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yeah obviously it's not complete random, but how much respect do you give to a wavesmash in when you're both in neutral position? It catches me pretty easily, but I feel oftentimes I end up giving it too much respect after getting hit once or twice. Do you guys just keep playing normally and shrug it off, or do you just play safer/unpredictably never get hit by it?

snex

Smash Master
are you in the air or on the ground when you are getting hit by these? if your opponent is a fsmash-happy marth, stay on the ground more and use your shield. this will hopefully bait him into trying to grab, at which point you duck-rest him.

Top Bottom