• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to approach as kirby (With/Without copy abilities.)

CCCM89

Smash Ace
So, I've started maining kirby for the time being, if only because he's currently the character I have the best win percentage with out of all the ones I've been playing lately, and I've been trying to work out better ways to approache with him. for the most part, I just try to play defensive and let the others come to me, but when I'm fighting a camper or someone else being abnormally defensive, it gets dificult.
So, I thought I'd ask here for a little advice, and perhaps, if I get enough, list it off in this post for others seeking the same information I am. Of course, I'll need some suggestions and strategies from people first. I realyl would like to learn how to, say, get in close to a ZSS who does nothing but standard and down B to run away.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Send a written request, and wait two to five days for a response.

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
Most characters who camp have a Neutral b that is a projectile )such as toon link duck hunt and zss) and if you get in an take their ability you can camp and force them to aproach.

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
Welcome fellow Kirby main!

It seems you've discovered one of Kirby's main problems as a character, Due to his close-combat oriented fighting style, Kirby has to get close to be at his most effective, unfortunately he doesn't have very many approach options, especially against characters like Samus, Mega and DHD and it gets worse when they play defensive.

My general strategy is to deploy Fabian Tactics, Shadow them and watch what they do. Attack, dodge, duck, roll, deke, float while keeping yourself free from being exploited. Keep your opponent guessing on what you'll do next, hopefully it's enough to cause your opponent to crack and give you openings to exploit. Hopefully it'll be enough to make your opponent become more aggressive and attack you more often at closer, manageable ranges

Using techs can also help close the gap or trick your opponent. You can hup-cancel and grab those characters who shield for aerials. You can also try non-corner dash pivoting for approaches, Asdioh mentioned in the NCDP thread that down-tilt combined with NCDP is a great approach tech and I agree due to Kirby's duck being a very good defensive option, the reach, and the momentum gained from the non-corner pivot. With the right spacing and a bit of luck you can cause a trip!

Last edited:
Top Bottom